2024 MLB Thread

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/40446224/top-100-athletes-21st-century

Pujols, Trout, Kershaw, Miggy, Ichiro, Bonds, Verlander, A-Rod, Ortiz and Scherzer in that order were the 10 MLBers to make the top 50 for greatest athletes of the 21st century.  

A lot of us liked the Scherzer trade when it happened, but I'm pretty sure none of us thought he'd land on a best athlete of the century list.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

A lot of us liked the Scherzer trade when it happened, but I'm pretty sure none of us thought he'd land on a best athlete of the century list.

I know we all love Jim Leyland, but I tend to believe Jim had a lot to do with Scherzer's exit from Detroit. Jim had anointed JV as his ace and just wouldn't give Scherzer his props (which he deserved) as JV's equal. IDK, maybe JV felt the two of them couldn't exist together long term anyway, but I totally understand Max feeling he could never get out of Verlander's shadow here, and that coupled to an admitted hard headedness about getting paid, made for the end of what could have been an epic run the Tiger franchise.

That odd press release in ST announcing that Scherzer turned down their “great” offer said a lot.  Mike Ilitch does not like it when a player of his says no.  (It’s why Sergei has yet to have his jersey retired). 

Today is the anniversary of the "pine tar game". 1983...Billy Martin knew about the pine tar and kept that fact in his back pocket to use at the right time. Lol...I remember watching the game live at my mom's house. I was 23 years old.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 8:36 PM, monkeytargets39 said:

The White Sox are now on pace to have a worse record than the 2003 Tigers.

Amazing because that 03 team had nothing close to Crochet and Fedde in their rotation.

They did have D-Meat, though …

Again, someone should start a random baseball thread for random baseball stuff—anyway, pulling together something for a deck I'm doing and ran across this interesting tidbit from 1901, just as the American league was becoming a major league.

2024-07-30_15-45-25.thumb.jpg.5ab56d533ad79943b872d036eb79893b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Again, someone should start a random baseball thread for random baseball stuff—anyway, pulling together something for a deck I'm doing and ran across this interesting tidbit from 1901, just as the American league was becoming a major league.

2024-07-30_15-45-25.thumb.jpg.5ab56d533ad79943b872d036eb79893b.jpg

Quite the find, there.

Just now, casimir said:

Quite the find, there.

I'm knocked out by the idea that games lasted 2-1/2 to 3 hours back then. Given how quickly hitters put pitchers' pitches into play, that must have entailed a hell of a lot of dawdling.

On 7/29/2024 at 8:48 PM, monkeytargets39 said:

James McCann got hit in the face with a pitch and stayed in the game.  Dunno if anyone else saw that clip.  Guy looked Justin Gaethje after the Max Holloway fight.

I saw it. That was early in the game, too. I'm surprised they allowed him to stay in with all that blood and problems with concussions in sports. 

On 7/18/2024 at 5:36 PM, RandyMarsh said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/40446224/top-100-athletes-21st-century

Pujols, Trout, Kershaw, Miggy, Ichiro, Bonds, Verlander, A-Rod, Ortiz and Scherzer in that order were the 10 MLBers to make the top 50 for greatest athletes of the 21st century.  

So, they had three of the greatest athletes this century.  They let one walk, traded another for very little return and signed the wrong one long term.  

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

So, they had three of the greatest athletes this century.  They let one walk, traded another for very little return and signed the wrong one long term.  

Not only did they never win a WS (which can be forgiven) they never won 100 games or were considered the best team in baseball in any particular year. Those were fun years, but, in retrospect, the results were a bit underwhelming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

Not only did they never win a WS (which can be forgiven) they never won 100 games or were considered the best team in baseball in any particular year. Those were fun years, but, in retrospect, the results were a bit underwhelming. 

And just about everyone on the board would say, "let's do it again!"

• Like 1