2024 MLB Thread

We don't have a random baseball thread—who knows, maybe we should, just too lazy to start one now—so I don't know where else to put this.

I've been doing some research for a thing and I did not realize this was ever a problem.

image.png.59f0203ae73613752fd3c6b3fb7b740d.png

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 3

The HR derby was neat at first.  Then I became suspicious of the bats and balls used.  But when the 2005 ASG was in Detroit the Derby was the most exciting thing about the festivities all week. Detroit loved Bobby Abreu that night and until that point in history it was the most exciting thing to ever happen in Comerica Park.   

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I loved the Josh Hamilton show at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008. I dont think I really been into the derby since then but that night it was electric.

I remember that clearly, and I recall posting at the time on the old board. Oh to be young again...

45 minutes ago, oblong said:

The HR derby was neat at first.  Then I became suspicious of the bats and balls used.  But when the 2005 ASG was in Detroit the Derby was the most exciting thing about the festivities all week. Detroit loved Bobby Abreu that night and until that point in history it was the most exciting thing to ever happen in Comerica Park.   

I dislike the new rules and the way they compete against the clock.   The old way was much better.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I was at this one to. It was exciting and fairly fast moving. I tried to watch it all the way through last night but went to bed. A couple of guys I work with said they did the same thing.

I know we all hate the All-Star uniform so I won’t litigate that here. What I am getting a sense of it that Baseball is trying to erase the association between player and team, and distinctions between leagues, in a bid to make the sport more like the NBA, that is, personality-driven and not team-driven. That’s why I think players will never wear their regular uniforms in the All Star game again, and why MLB.com defaults to MLB leaders and not AL and NL leaders, and why the Savant does not even show the team name next to the players on their lists. 

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

I like these uniforms. Especially the AL.  I never felt a need to buy one but that are cool.  

Bill Jamesian contrarianism here.

I like the gold belts some of the AL guys are wearing.

American LEAGUE! American LEAGUE!

I didn’t watch the game, but I saw some pictures and I don’t care for the uniforms. This is a multi billion dollar business they could’ve done better. I would’ve been happier if they were something like the Motor City uniforms and one team looked like the good guys from Tron and the other other team looked like the bad guys from Tron. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If I say, what is the first memory of an All Star game for you? 

Mine is Dave Parker's throw to the plate...................

3 Tigers in it in the summer of ‘76. To me it was great to see the Tigers relevant again. In fact they had really only been bad for 2 years and were only 4 years removed from an AL East title, but when you’re 9 years old that felt like forever. 

19 hours ago, oblong said:

I was at the game in 2003 when Clemens had 299 wins.  The Yankees were up 7-1 in the 5th and then Soriano made 2 errors and Jeter made an error.  It was 7-6 at the end of 5.  In the bottom of the 6th, the Yankee reliever gave up the tying home run.  Everyone left the game.  I think the Yankees won in the 17th inning.  It was standing room only.  Attendance was something like 44k.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

I know we all hate the All-Star uniform so I won’t litigate that here. What I am getting a sense of it that Baseball is trying to erase the association between player and team, and distinctions between leagues, in a bid to make the sport more like the NBA, that is, personality-driven and not team-driven. That’s why I think players will never wear their regular uniforms in the All Star game again, and why MLB.com defaults to MLB leaders and not AL and NL leaders, and why the Savant does not even show the team name next to the players on their lists. 

I have no problem embracing my grumpfartism here.  The players should wear their regular team jerseys and hats.  Want to alter those a bit just for the game?  Fine, add a star, add some gold trim, maybe a league specific patch.  They do use team specific hats and have the team logo on the sleeve, so in fairness they are incorporating that into the league uniform.  I just think that gets a bit lost in the rest of the ASG kits.

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If I say, what is the first memory of an All Star game for you? 

Mine is Dave Parker's throw to the plate...................

I remember keeping score for the 1983 game.  That's the one where Fred Lynn hit the first ever all star game grand slam off of Atlee Hammaker.

2 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

I was at the game in 2003 when Clemens had 299 wins.  The Yankees were up 7-1 in the 5th and then Soriano made 2 errors and Jeter made an error.  It was 7-6 at the end of 5.  In the bottom of the 6th, the Yankee reliever gave up the tying home run.  Everyone left the game.  I think the Yankees won in the 17th inning.  It was standing room only.  Attendance was something like 44k.

I was at that game too. 

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Over my first cup of coffee this morning I want to say I think you’re on to something here, seriously. I agree with your point. 
One area that jumps out at me here is that the league apparently doesn’t really have, or should I say enforce, any uniform guidelines. It appears as though the individual wearing the uniform can wear it however he sees fit. I believe a lot of this is driven with the intent to let Latin American players express themselves in a way US born players may not have done in the past. But, the word “uniform” does still have a definition. As these individuals wear neckwear that used to receive warnings from officials on the field, now nothing is said. Chains, necklaces were not permitted to hang loosely out of the uniforms for safety reasons. I recall times in the past when the home plate umpire would stop play and make a pitcher tuck a necklace back into his shirt because of the distraction it could be to the batter. Players leave buttons undone at the top of the uniforms to the point that you sometimes can’t make out the team name on the jersey. 
Cleats and sock colors are another area that players get creative, often in contrast to the uniform they wear. 
I see it as a “come as you are” invitation to the MLB game. I know the league (there really is only one league now) wants to promote its international appeal. I think every minor league team now has a uniform that celebrates the Latin American heritage. I get all that. 
Several years ago MLB introduced the mantra, Let’em Play. This is where a lot of the old norms were openly challenged and have, over several years, been discarded. This is where the bat flip became a part of the game. There are other examples of what I’m getting at but I’ll stop here. 
I still love the game! As REO Speedwagon sang, Roll with the changes.