2024 MLB Thread

And Stanton is 34. And so is Freddie Freeman.  

I think Freeman, Judge, Trout, Kershaw, Verlander, and Scherzer are all easy 1st ballot guys.

I think Stanton should be too, but some smartest guys in the room voters will not vote for him the 1st time.

Edited by tiger2022

Stanton’s not going in on the first ballot unless he has a healthy late career surge. He doesn’t have the required reps because he can’t stay on the field. He’s already missed 40 games this year—he just came back from five weeks on the shelf just this week. If he can’t put up maybe three more good years healthy, it’s gonna take a few years for him to get in if he does at all.

Never mind first ballot, Stanton is not a Hall of Famer at this point.  I agree with Chas that he'll need a few more good healthy years to get in and that seems unlikely given his age and injury history.     

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Trout is a first ballot Hall of Famer right now.  The voters are more sophisticated than they were 20 years ago.  They know he's one of the all-time greats.  Kirby Pucket was a short career first ballot guy and he is not even close to Trout.  

Kirby Puckett was a throwback to the time when batting average was king. It’s hard to keep a guy with a .318 batting average and 2,500+ hits out of the Hall. Plus he has Game 6 of the 1991 Series so he got the Fame part, too.

As for Trout: he is an 86-win player. He has three MVPs, six top-5 MVP votes otherwise, and a RoY. He led the AL in OPS+ six times and runs scored four times. He amassed a 47-win five-year peak, that’s 9.5 WAR per season for five years straight.

If you’re a Hall of Fame voter, you’ll be called upon to explain why you didn’t vote for Mike Trout on the first ballot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Kirby Puckett was a throwback to the time when batting average was king. It’s hard to keep a guy with a .318 batting average and 2,500+ hits out of the Hall. Plus he has Game 6 of the 1991 Series so he got the Fame part, too.

As for Trout: he is an 86-win player. He has three MVPs, six top-5 MVP votes otherwise, and a RoY. He led the AL in OPS+ six times and runs scored four times. He amassed a 47-win five-year peak, that’s 9.5 WAR per season for five years straight.

If you’re a Hall of Fame voter, you’ll be called upon to explain why you didn’t vote for Mike Trout on the first ballot.

I thought I would be able to find someone with similar numbers who did not make it, but there wasn't really anybody.  The closest were Suzuki (who will make it next year), Manny Ramirez (PEDs), George VanHaltren (played mostly in 1800s).

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought I would be able to find someone with similar numbers who did not make it, but there wasn't really anybody.  The closest were Suzuki (who will make it next year), Manny Ramirez (PEDs), George VanHaltren (played mostly in 1800s).

Don Mattingly is a close example.  

I think Albert Belle is kind of in the ballpark but more power and only played until he was 32.  Of course, the sport writers don't like him and his career #s might be a bit short.

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Never mind first ballot, Stanton is not a Hall of Famer at this point.  I agree with Chas that he'll need a few more good healthy years to get in and that seems unlikely given his age and injury history.     

Yeah he’s hall of very good at this point.  Aside from his power he never was really one of the best players in the league for any stretch of time.  Hes closer to Adam Dunn than HOF to me

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

someone will write that "he wasnt a winner..."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Trout is a first ballot Hall of Famer right now.  The voters are more sophisticated than they were 20 years ago.  They know he's one of the all-time greats.  Kirby Pucket was a short career first ballot guy and he is not even close to Trout.  

Trout had 4 seasons on him at the beginning of their careers (Puckett debuted at 24, Trout at 19).  But, yes, despite the differences in eras, Trout has been the better player.

Puckett was pretty darn durable until he retired.  He never had fewer than 600 PAs except for his rookie season (584 in 1984) and the strike shortened season (482 in 1994).

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Trout had 4 seasons on him at the beginning of their careers (Puckett debuted at 24, Trout at 19).  But, yes, despite the differences in eras, Trout has been the better player.

Puckett was pretty darn durable until he retired.  He never had fewer than 600 PAs except for his rookie season (584 in 1984) and the strike shortened season (482 in 1994).

Pucket was a great player.  Trump has been a completely different level of player.  

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

This typo can't be as embarrassing as when our 6th grade teacher referred to one of his mistakes in class as a "boner".  He legit didn't know the ....uh.... street connotation for the term.

Remember Boner the guy on Growing Pains? 🙂 That would work these days.

• Haha 1