2024 MLB Thread

1 hour ago, casimir said:

This typo can't be as embarrassing as when our 6th grade teacher referred to one of his mistakes in class as a "boner".  He legit didn't know the ....uh.... street connotation for the term.

Did he use the classic "pull a boner"? Sixth graders especially like that kind of thing.

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Did he use the classic "pull a boner"? Sixth graders especially like that kind of thing.

No, the phrase was "I've made a boner of myself".  Once the laughter died down and someone told him what it meant, he just dropped his head and said "Well now I've really made a boner of myself".

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:54 AM, monkeytargets39 said:

White Sox released Corey Knebel despite him having a successful rehab in AAA.

Go get him Harris, that’s a low risk high reward move to try and help the bullpen.

Get him on the phone.

"We fix pitchers..."

Sign him for the remainder of 2024 (AAA, for our pitching doctors to fix him up...), all of 2025 (MLB money, with tons of bonuses for MLB appearances, innings, etc...), with a team option for 2026 (same).

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Get him on the phone.

"We fix pitchers..."

Sign him for the remainder of 2024 (AAA, for our pitching doctors to fix him up...), all of 2025 (MLB money, with tons of bonuses for MLB appearances, innings, etc...), with a team option for 2026 (same).

PS: That would be called a "calculated risk."

11 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

The White Sox just lost their 20th game in the row, and the first team to do this since 1988. If anyone is looking for one of those “there but for the grace of God go I” moments, you are welcome.  

They're gonna do it.  They're gonna finish with fewer than 40 wins.   I feel it.    Without looking it up.  1988 - was that the year the Orioles started 0-21 ?     

This is fun.   I hate them.   Well, not them so much, but I hate their fans and Hawk Harrelson. 

The White Sox don't have anyone in danger of losing 20 games on their staff.  I'll always give Mike Maroth credit.  The team came to him when he was at 18 losses and they said they could remove him from the rotation so he wouldn't break 20, but he refused.  

When you look at individual stats they don't look that much worse than the Tigers.  

I couldn't understand why they kept their manager after last year.    I'm guessing they won't do that again. 

Jansen can be first to play for both sides in game

This could be an interesting byproduct of finishing out a previously suspended game.

Circle your calendars for Aug. 26, because you could see something that's never happened in Major League Baseball history: The same player playing for both teams in the same game.

That day, the Red Sox will face the Blue Jays at Fenway Park in the continuation of a game that originally started on June 26. And catcher Danny Jansen will have the chance to play for both Boston and Toronto.

It could create a first for an MLB game. No player at the Major League level has ever played for both teams in one game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Kinda surprised that’s never happened before.  Especially when the schedule was imbalanced and you had make up games scheduled awkwardly.

My memory is not good, but I seem to recall there was a game last season where this was looking like a possibility but then it didn't happen, and it is hard to believe it hasn't happened yet.

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The White Sox play the Athletics in an hour in Oakland. Technically, this is a team the White Sox could defeat, although I don’t remember us having a lot of success with them this year. We lost 2 of 3. 

I believe Oakland had the best record (or close to it) in MLB in the month of July. No break for the Sox.