2024 MLB Thread

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Did you see the Ozzie Guillen interview on local White Sox programming where he said he couldn’t believe he lost out on the managerial job to the current guy.  Definitely avoided taking the high road.

Grifol was Al Avila’s first choice!

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Did you see the Ozzie Guillen interview on local White Sox programming where he said he couldn’t believe he lost out on the managerial job to the current guy.  Definitely avoided taking the high road.

Class is not a word I would attach to the mighty O.G., though he was a good manager and could certainly do better.    I was shocked they brought him back after last year  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It didn't say he was the first choice.  It says he was a strong candidate.  He hiired Gardenhire over him and then hired Hinch over him.  

I don't think Hinch was Avila's choice, and the pieces all coming out around the time emphasized how well Grifol knew Avila for 30 years and how much Avila liked him, so I am taking that As Avila preferred Grifol. I don't think the stories of the time would say that in so many words, but Avila did have a relationship and kinship of country with Grifol that he didn't have with anyone else.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think Hinch was Avila's choice, and the pieces all coming out around the time emphasized how well Grifol knew Avila for 30 years and how much Avila liked him, so I am taking that As Avila preferred Grifol. I don't think the stories of the time would say that in so many words, but Avila did have a relationship and kinship of country with Grifol that he didn't have with anyone else.

Every time there is a managerial opening, every candidate is talked about in glowing terms.  The fact is Avila hired two managers over him. 

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Every time there is a managerial opening, every candidate is talked about in glowing terms.  The fact is Avila hired two managers over him. 

Yes, that is the fact. 

Bristol Motor Speedway, one of NASCAR’s most iconic tracks, will host a regular season MLB game between the Atlanta Braves and Cincinnati Reds in 2025, multiple sources briefed on the plans told The Athletic on Tuesday.