2024 MLB Thread

And if Bonds hadn’t been allowed to wear full arm armor he likely wouldn’t have hit nearly as many home runs. He might even have broken an arm, since he crowded the plate. Super talented, no doubt, but he leveraged that protection to the max. 

21 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't know if it was 95%, but I think it was at least half.  There is no way highly competitive athletes are going watch the big guys take performancing enhancing drugs without punishment and then innocently stay clean.  

Bonds saw 2 guys who weren't even remotely close to his skill set break the home run record without any repercussions.  Of course Bonds was going to take them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

And if Bonds hadn’t been allowed to wear full arm armor he likely wouldn’t have hit nearly as many home runs. He might even have broken an arm, since he crowded the plate. Super talented, no doubt, but he leveraged that protection to the max. 

The way he was able to wear the armor and lean over the strike zone made it basically impossible to pitch to him without either walking him or throwing it over the middle of the zone.  You couldn’t go up and in on him and set up other pitches.  That was as big of a factor as any performance enhancers in my opinion.  Kinda surprised more guys didn’t follow that trend.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Champ Summers!

Went down a baseball rabbit hole looking up Champ. He was a favorite of mine when he played for us. I didn't know he had passed away. And I didn't remember he played against us in the '84 WS. Only 1 at bat, but still...

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Went down a baseball rabbit hole looking up Champ. He was a favorite of mine when he played for us. I didn't know he had passed away. And I didn't remember he played against us in the '84 WS. Only 1 at bat, but still...

The Wockenfuss/Summers platoon was the best platoon ever.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

They both played 1st base at times but I always remember Champ as a rightfielder. Hazy 40+ year memories though. 

I didn’t remember them as a platoon, and when I looked it up it was more RF than anyplace else, but only for a few weeks of a single season. 

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn’t remember them as a platoon, and when I looked it up it was more RF than anyplace else, but only for a few weeks of a single season. 

Yeah, that's how my memory works too. Champ did PH a lot, always seemed to come up with a big hit.