2024 MLB Thread

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if mlb doesn't step in and beg some of the teams that are out of contention to play some of their younger guys so the CHIsox can win a few games at the end of the season.  I suspected the league told the Twins and Royals or whoever the Tigers were playing at the end of the 2003 to call off the dogs.  They won 5 out of 6 to end the season.

15 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

The Mariners have fired their manager, their hitting coach, and their bench manager. I’m sure the team will now flourish properly given that their problems have been addressed. 

Whats wild is they are still in second place and only 5.5 out of first! LOL

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

M’s wasted that rotation. They were given enough money for just one thing, and that did not include hitting or defense or bullpen.

It's the Matt Millen error. Teams are not as strong as their best part, they are as week as their worst. Balance is almost always better.

Judge with 2 more HRs today giving him 51 on the year. On pace for 64HRs and 11.5 WAR. The latter has only been eclipsed by position players 5 times in the last 100 years. Bonds in 2001 and 02, Yaz in 67, Hornsby and Ruth in 27. Legit all time great type of season we are witnessing. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Judge with 2 more HRs today giving him 51 on the year. On pace for 64HRs and 11.5 WAR. The latter has only been eclipsed by position players 5 times in the last 100 years. Bonds in 2001 and 02, Yaz in 67, Hornsby and Ruth in 27. Legit all time great type of season we are witnessing. 

Fangraphs has Judge at 9.3 WAR. They must be dinging him pretty hard for his suboptimal defense.

That said, FG also shows WAR for splits, which Reference does not. Just in the last 30 days, Aaron Judge has 3.1 WAR, which works out to 18.5 or so WAR for an entire season. Which … dayum. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying about Judge’s WAR. But it feels as though an 11.5 even at FG by end of year is within reach.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

He was hitting .197 with a .725 OPS through the first 33 games too. 

Gotta be what, a 13+ WAR pace over the next 100 then?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit some degree of wrongness with regards to Chapman. I really didn't think the Tigers should sign him, because the back end of the deal would have been harmful.

Sitting here now 5 games out of a playoff spot, he may have been the difference between a forever-flying flag and another dull October. 

Having said that, the loss of the competitive balance pick may have upended the draft. Just remember that if Schiefelbein ends up being a stud.

Also, Chapman would have had to say yes.

7 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Chapman would have had to say yes

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

lol yeah he was never coming to Detroit

I won't use "perfect" but he would have been a great fit; a two-way player on a team that has very few two-way players, at a position of need. SFG are paying 18M for 5 WAR, so a great bargain - at least this year.

hard to see a position player free agent this winter who fits as cleanly as Chapman would have.

and there's no need to say no if Harris never makes an offer

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I won't use "perfect" but he would have been a great fit; a two-way player on a team that has very few two-way players, at a position of need. SFG are paying 18M for 5 WAR, so a great bargain - at least this year.

This just landed with me—Chapman pitches as well? How did I miss that?