2024 MLB Thread

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This just landed with me—Chapman pitches as well? How did I miss that?

He didn't get the contract he apparently wanted, so maybe there was a way to get him.  

If they had Flaherty and Chapman all season, there very well may have been another good reason for him to be in Detroit.  

Edit: I remembered incorrectly.  "He actually did get a good contract: 6 years 150 million".  

So, the Tigers probably would have had to go 7 years to get him which would have been way too long.  

Edited by Tiger337

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He didn't get the contract he apparently wanted, so maybe there was a way to get him.  

If they had Flaherty and Chapman all season, there very well may have been another good reason for him to be in Detroit.  

I'm pretty sure Chapman, nor anyone else for that matter, saw signing Flaherty as the last piece needed for the Tigers to make the playoffs, and I think the only way Chapman would have signed here was if practically no one else made him an offer.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I'm pretty sure Chapman, nor anyone else for that matter, saw signing Flaherty as the last piece needed for the Tigers to make the playoffs, and I think the only way Chapman would have signed here was if practically no one else made him an offer.

They probably would have gotten him if they offered one year more than everybody else.  I'm not saying that would have been a good idea.  A lot of smart fans were saying the Tigers should not have offered him more than two years becauise they thought his carer was on the downside after his poor second half in 2023.  They were wrong, but 7 years would be a bad risk.  

To be clear, with the benefit of hindsight I am okay with signing him to the FIRST deal he did with the Giants, with the opt out, giving us a bridge to Jung. He likely would have been traded at the deadline, and the question would be if that haul exceeds what the Tigers got in the draft (Schiefelbein).

40 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They probably would have gotten him if they offered one year more than everybody else.  I'm not saying that would have been a good idea.  A lot of smart fans were saying the Tigers should not have offered him more than two years becauise they thought his carer was on the downside after his poor second half in 2023.  They were wrong, but 7 years would be a bad risk.  

I would bet real money that if the Tigers had offered him four years and the Giants offered him three before this past season, he still would have taken the Giants. He's from California, his family is there, and the Giants were regarded as being closer to playoff contention than the Tigers were. If the perception of the Giants' and Tigers' competitive situations were flipped, that might have been a tougher call for him.

On 9/5/2024 at 12:12 PM, chasfh said:

I would bet real money that if the Tigers had offered him four years and the Giants offered him three before this past season, he still would have taken the Giants. He's from California, his family is there, and the Giants were regarded as being closer to playoff contention than the Tigers were. 

Additionally, Chapman has made it clear that he likes playing for Bob Melvin. I’m pretty sure Melvin pushed Farhan Zaidi to sign Chapman in the offseason.

Verlander got clobbered. His era in now north of 5 and he is 3-6. Doubt he gets more than a 1-yr deal for much less money. I think he sticks one more year, likely in Houston. I don't think he'll do what some guys like Steve Carleton did, and hang on with lesser stuff. 

I’m really bored by all this talk about 50/50 or 63 home runs. Baseball is most real at the ground zero of an actual game. It’s really quite beautiful, and it doesn’t need to be fussed up by headline grabbing PR statistical fetishism.

Granted, if one of my own players were in the mix for this I’d probably care, but they’re not. Also, it’s a celebration of the good times being had by the “haves” and as a team that is a “have not” I’ll admit it rubs me the wrong way.

As it is, heading into Sunday’s game, Judge had no homers and a .175 average over his last 11. On Sunday, he got a single. i’m not gloating, but I take some small pleasure in this. I’m not against either of these players, far from it. They are great, actually historically great, athletes. I just don’t like it when the texture of the game itself is overlooked and reduced to showy stuff like this. It’s like overlooking Cinderella when she’s in work clothes and only paying attention to her in a ball gown. 

16 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Verlander got clobbered. His era in now north of 5 and he is 3-6. Doubt he gets more than a 1-yr deal for much less money. I think he sticks one more year, likely in Houston. I don't think he'll do what some guys like Steve Carleton did, and hang on with lesser stuff. 

he really wanted 300 wins; he would be the last pitcher ever to do it; but would need to stick around for 3 more years with 13 wins/season at this point, pitching in age 42-43-44 seasons; father time is undefeated

Just four years ago, Kumar Rocker was the best pitcher in college baseball.

A lot has changed since then, including a pit stop in indy ball, but Rocker, the Rangers' No. 2 prospect and No. 97 overall per MLB Pipeline, will finally make his MLB debut for Texas on Thursday against the Mariners in Seattle at T-Mobile Park.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

image.png.667c85bbd003593d4b0da2ede69e4416.png

image.png.c338b84567dad82a7f6f8aba7cd5549e.png

Hey,  1987 Tigers.   Second to last weekend they lost 3 out of 4 to Toronto.   We all thought it was over.   It wasn't.   But the Tigers need to be nearly flawless the rest of the way.  

As bad as Javy is, I am glad they didn't sign Correa to $30 million a year. 

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

image.png.c338b84567dad82a7f6f8aba7cd5549e.png

So here is one of the issues that the Tigers face.  Tiebreakers.  I think as part of the new playoffs with the 3rd wildcard, there are no regular season tiebreaker games.  The Tigers have lost the season series to the Twins (6-7).  The Tigers are currently trailing the Royals in that season series (3-7) with only 3 games to go.  The Tigers have won season series over the Red Sox (4-2) and Mariners (5-1).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

So here is one of the issues that the Tigers face.  Tiebreakers.  I think as part of the new playoffs with the 3rd wildcard, there are no regular season tiebreaker games.  The Tigers have lost the season series to the Twins (6-7).  The Tigers are currently trailing the Royals in that season series (3-7) with only 3 games to go.  The Tigers have won season series over the Red Sox (4-2) and Mariners (5-1).

Yup...we can't tie the Twins or the Royals. We need to finish ahead of them.

17 hours ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

Yup...we can't tie the Twins or the Royals. We need to finish ahead of them.

What if more than 2 teams tie? I don't know head to head records between Boston, Seattle, KC and MN. What if Det, Seattle and MN tie for final spot and Det wins head to head with Seattle, and Seattle wins head to head with MN? 

7 hours ago, papalawrence said:

What if more than 2 teams tie? I don't know head to head records between Boston, Seattle, KC and MN. What if Det, Seattle and MN tie for final spot and Det wins head to head with Seattle, and Seattle wins head to head with MN? 

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a coin flip somewhere in a situation too complicated.  The way they've condensed the playoffs with the new wild card I don't think there's room for tiebreaker games.  But that's just a guess.  I'm not looking it up.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a coin flip somewhere in a situation too complicated.  The way they've condensed the playoffs with the new wild card I don't think there's room for tiebreaker games.  But that's just a guess.  I'm not looking it up.

There's a whole set of tiebreaker rules that will determine the winner: https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules