2024 MLB Thread

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/sources-twins-cut-minor-league-catcher-derek-bender/story?id=113650216

Twins cut minor league catcher Derek Bender for tipping pitches to Lakeland

Story is nuts, man.   Who's gonna sign that guy now?    I do believe in 2nd chances, but this is ridiculous.    Reminds me of that time Crash Davis told the guy what Nuke LaLoosh was going to throw, but he was trying to teach Nuke a lesson.  This is different

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

That is crazy! He just wanted the season to be over?!

It’s like he didn’t want the season to extend into the playoffs. Sounds like he’s in a really strange emotional, psychological space which of course happens, I get it but wow, I’ve never heard of anything like this happening. 

On 9/13/2024 at 6:43 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Story is nuts, man.   Who's gonna sign that guy now?    I do believe in 2nd chances, but this is ridiculous.    Reminds me of that time Crash Davis told the guy what Nuke LaLoosh was going to throw, but he was trying to teach Nuke a lesson.  This is different

Yeah, that was a loose cannon decision Derek Bender will never recover from professionally.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Only the Phillies and the Dodgers still have a mathematical chance to get to 100 wins. It would require taking 10 of 12 for the Phils, 11 of 12 for the Dodgers. Given the hot starts by a number of teams this season I'm surprised no one is going to end up having that kind of year.

This really is quite surprising. You would think the way some teams are so stacked and have spent so much money that the odds are that someone could just “buy” 100 wins, but no. I wonder what the source of this new parity is or if this is an anomalous circumstance. 

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

This really is quite surprising. You would think the way some teams are so stacked and have spent so much money that the odds are that someone could just “buy” 100 wins, but no. I wonder what the source of this new parity is or if this is an anomalous circumstance. 

This year my guess would be injuries. Most teams had to deal with injuries to key players.