2024 MLB Thread

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They could very well go far in the playoffs this year.  

However, regardless of how they finish, I wouldn't count on the same group sustaining this kind of play for 162 games.  I am hoping they make significant upgrades this off-season.  

I don't know....I really don't want them trading young talent for established and expensive players. And I don't think Harris is the type who spends crazy money building a team. The Tigers success wouldn't be as noticeable if it weren't for the Twins tanking.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Ohtani gets to 50/50 and then 51/51 with one of the most unreal days ever.  

6 FOR 6

3 HRS

2 2B

2 SB

10 RBI

Hat tip to Schumaker the Marlins manager for pitching to Ohtani with first base open before # 50. He saw history in the making and didn't get in the way of it allowing his fans to see history as consolation for a terrible season.

Ohtani first to 50/50 and first Dodger to 50 HR. At 70 million ( or 48 ) per year he is actually a bargain. 

The Athletic article on the god awful CWS is interesting. I had forgotten that when Drunk Tony LaRussa was announced as manager, AJ Hinch's signature was included on the press release announcement. Clearly management was going to hire AJ before Reinsdorf overruled them.

Just one of many butterfly effects that brings us to today.

29 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I can't believe people are even mentioning Clase for Cy Young. He has a 192 BABIP. He's not even the best pitcher on his own team. Skubal's FIP is 5 points higher than his ERA and he has a chance at the triple crown. Luck vs performance.

But sportswriters vote for the Cy Young award. Stats are meaningless to many of them. It's the same reason Lou Whitaker isnt in the HOF.

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I was looking at the upcoming schedules. The Mets and Braves have a makeup DH on Monday and it may have playoff implications. 

image.png.c66dabb2583342a86c528549d2597d3d.png

It seems doubtful that the doubleheader won't have some sort of seeding implications at the least.  But if there is a berth (or two) at stake), they need to figure out a way get that on national TV.

As far as the playoff schedule is concerned, game 3s for all wildcard rounds are Thursday 10/05 with the NL division series having games on Saturday 10/07 and Sunday 10/08.  It appears to me that the brackets are not locked and that the lower remaining seed travels to the higher seed.  So its possible that team planes are on tarmacs waiting for a direction on Monday (with a game on Tuesday) and Thursday (with a game on Saturday).  This might push Tuesday's AL wild cad games to both being the earlier games.

image.png.1a002d1491c8bc32fc543b85c949485c.png

My son and his family lived in Alameda for several years just before the Covid fiasco hit. They went to numerous A’s games and loved that team. They moved back east in 2020 and still followed the A’s big time. Today was a very big deal for my son. His buddy from Alameda, who attended many games with my son there almost convinced him to fly out for today’s game but he just couldn’t make it work. 
I hate it for the fans there. I hate it for baseball, period.