2024 MLB Thread

10 hours ago, 1776 said:

My son and his family lived in Alameda for several years just before the Covid fiasco hit. They went to numerous A’s games and loved that team. They moved back east in 2020 and still followed the A’s big time. Today was a very big deal for my son. His buddy from Alameda, who attended many games with my son there almost convinced him to fly out for today’s game but he just couldn’t make it work. 
I hate it for the fans there. I hate it for baseball, period.

Why?  It's a business first and foremost.  The attendance was so low that it didn't make sense to stay there.  The stadium was a train wreck.

It's no different than a person switching companies for a much better personal situation.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Hey, Rod Allen working for Ballys Miami.

When I was in Florida this summer we went to a place that had the Miami game on and there he was.... it was kind of refreshing to hear his voice again. Like seeing a former co worker outside the office.  Different perspective.

7 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Why?  It's a business first and foremost.  The attendance was so low that it didn't make sense to stay there.  The stadium was a train wreck.

It's no different than a person switching companies for a much better personal situation.

I don’t know that Vegas is going to support the team either though.  Especially if ownership isn’t going to try and field a competitive team.

They got the Raiders a few years back and LV is consistently one of the worst teams in NFL attendance.  

It’s definitely a business, but you’ve gotta be willing to spend some money to make money.  Reading the Twins messageboards the last couple weeks has been eye opening.  Ive seen fans that are so fed up with the Twins standing pat at the deadline and not going after much in free agency that they said they’d be fine if the Pohlads moved the team out of Minneapolis because they don’t want to give another dime to them and maybe another franchise with better owners would eventually move into that market.  

58 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I don’t know that Vegas is going to support the team either though.  Especially if ownership isn’t going to try and field a competitive team.

They got the Raiders a few years back and LV is consistently one of the worst teams in NFL attendance.  

It’s definitely a business, but you’ve gotta be willing to spend some money to make money.  Reading the Twins messageboards the last couple weeks has been eye opening.  Ive seen fans that are so fed up with the Twins standing pat at the deadline and not going after much in free agency that they said they’d be fine if the Pohlads moved the team out of Minneapolis because they don’t want to give another dime to them and maybe another franchise with better owners would eventually move into that market.  

Only 17,000 at the Twins game last night. Pretty bad for a team that had been in the playoff hunt all season.

3 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Should be interesting to see how it works out.  Heck, I’m not sold that they’ll make it to Las Vegas to begin with.  I have a suspicion that falls through and the Athletics end up in Nashville.

I heard a theory this morning that if ownership changes hands and if there’s some turnover in Oakland politics, there’s now a situation to tear down the old dump and replace it on the spot.  I’m not sure that’s likely at all, but who knows how this will all shake out.

What happens to the AAA franchise that's already there? Do they get shipped to Sacramento or someplace or since they're the A's franchise do they catch an Uber to the new park?

From what I heard from a couple of locals when we were there in April, they're not really thrilled with the location. Traffic is already bad enough, parking seems dicey at best. There is also enough other entertainment one would think an A's game would be way down the list.