2024 MLB Thread

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Oxy was Armand Hammer's company. He was one of history's more colorful CEOs.

I remember being flabbergasted that he didn't originate "Arm & Hammer". I think everyone just assumed it.

Edited by VegasTiger

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Isn't the whole family a bunch of pervys? 

This is what the internet has given us.  Hammer was involved with the USSR during the cold war principally in oil exploration.  He brought much of the technology that the Soviets would need to develop their industry.  He also had a pencil factory there, oddly enough one of the few businesses owned privately at the time.  He was a huge diplomatic force at the time.  He also owned Hammer Galleries in NYC and was involved in the discovery of a huge cache of Cezanne paintings. His collection is now in the Hammer Museum in LA.  He really was one of the most colorful CEOs of the century.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Isn't the whole family a bunch of pervys? 

This is what the internet has given us.  Hammer was involved with the USSR during the cold war principally in oil exploration.  He brought much of the technology that the Soviets would need to develop their industry.  He also had a pencil factory there, oddly enough one of the few businesses owned privately at the time.  He was a huge diplomatic force at the time.  He also owned Hammer Galleries in NYC and was involved in the discovery of a huge cache of Cezanne paintings. His collection is now in the Hammer Museum in LA.  He really was one of the most colorful CEOs of the century.

7 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Is there anyone that looks at the patch that says Oxy, and doesn't think of the drug? I actually have no idea what that truly is.

Wasn’t Oxy a pimple removal product back in the day?

24 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Color was mostly Soviet Red though.

True. What I remember, which is pretty sketch because it was damn long ago, is that Hammer was sympathetic to Russia, but not disloyal -  not in the anti-American way we see with Russia's modern American provocateurs.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, casimir said:

The shame of this is that the building was going to be used as a shelter.  Other pictures show numerous rows of cots on the field.  

One of my friends who graduated from East Detroit High School in 1965 lives in Clearwater and goes to Tropicana all the time, especially when the Tigers are in town. For all the acknowledged issues with the ball field, he loves it for the mere fact that it’s air conditioned. He also loves the fact that he can always get tickets. 

30 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

How have they STILL not approved a new stadium build in Tampa yet?  The Trop was a bottom tier stadium when the Rays first came into the league.  

Not sure if it needs state approval but local approval has been approved earlier this summer. As with most projects of this sort approval takes time. 

8 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not sure if it needs state approval but local approval has been approved earlier this summer. As with most projects of this sort approval takes time. 

Feels like they’ve been proposing stadiums since the mid 2000s and there’s always some sort of road block preventing the project from ever getting going.

Edited by monkeytargets39

32 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Feels like they’ve been proposing stadiums since the mid 2000s and there’s always some sort of road block preventing the project from ever getting going.

Similarly, a timeline of seven proposals for ballparks in Oakland over the years. Suprised they only date back to the turn of the century, as I had heard complains about Oakland's stadiums since the '80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Ballpark

1 hour ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Maybe if owners ponied up and paid for their own facilities they might get built quicker. As it stands sports teams prefer to have municipalities pay or at least float bonds for the facilities. 
I'm seeing it here where that was recently a several year discussion over a new ballpark for a minor league franchise that was finally approved after several years of discussions (Richmond, Va) 

Then there is the proposed "travel sport" facility planned for Williamsburg,Va supported by the neighboring counties that some feel was approved too quickly.

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Maybe if owners ponied up and paid for their own facilities they might get built quicker. As it stands sports teams prefer to have municipalities pay or at least float bonds for the facilities. 
I'm seeing it here where that was recently a several year discussion over a new ballpark for a minor league franchise that was finally approved after several years of discussions (Richmond, Va) 

Then there is the proposed "travel sport" facility planned for Williamsburg,Va supported by the neighboring counties that some feel was approved too quickly.

The Richmond Flying Squirrels were the top drawing AA team of 2024. These guys hit that mark most every year. Amazing they do that in that antiquated park. We were there in early September for a game and they were breaking ground next door then.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Richmond Flying Squirrels were the top drawing AA team of 2024. These guys hit that mark most every year. Amazing they do that in that antiquated park. We were there in early September for a game and they were breaking ground next door then.

I remember its predecessor in the same location. They were the AAA affiliate of the Atlanta Braves back then. Its demise was long overdue, much like the current park. As usual local politics got in the way of a replacement. 
It took MLB's threat of removing the franchise to get something done. I'd really like to see some other team than a west coast franchise I don't really care about moving in there. Maybe the Nationals want to move their AAA team?