2024 MLB Thread

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Looks like it will be the #1 seed against the #6 seed in the NL. If the Tigers were to win, it would be #6 and #1 in the AL, too.

And the last two NL pennant winners - Philly in 2022 and Arizona in 2023 - were #6 seeds. 

9 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

It would be quite possible that I would watch zero minutes of that. That is by far my least desirable matchup.

The NL would be hopeless. Either Dodgers or the Mets? No thanks. I didn't mind San Diego as much, they had that underdog flair going.

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

And the last two NL pennant winners - Philly in 2022 and Arizona in 2023 - were #6 seeds. 

The Tigers actually played decent against the Yankees this year. When we played there, one of our losses was in a rainy mess. Just going by memory, we played them close there. And we split the 2 games here but won at that little league game. It's when we started our run, I think.

18 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I remember its predecessor in the same location. They were the AAA affiliate of the Atlanta Braves back then. Its demise was long overdue, much like the current park. As usual local politics got in the way of a replacement. 
It took MLB's threat of removing the franchise to get something done. I'd really like to see some other team than a west coast franchise I don't really care about moving in there. Maybe the Nationals want to move their AAA team?

I like having the Giants affiliate in Richmond. We go up several times a year to see them. This September we drove up for the Richmond Squirrels Patrick Bailey (NC State baseball-Greensboro native) bobblehead. Quite by accident we saw Bryce Eldridge’s first AA ballgame that evening. He’s the #1 prospect in their system. He’s a native of Fairfax, VA!

In May my son and I saw Hayden Birdsong start/pitch for Richmond. 

And yes, I recall the years of the Richmond Braves fondly. We saw Toledo there a number of times. 

It’s hard for me to summon up interest in the postseason races now we’re no longer in them.

I used to feel a rooting interest in the AL winning the All-Star game or the World Series because my team is in the AL but it’s something I’ve never been able to sustain.

I’m not against other people doing it, and I admire those who can make this adjustment from one team or sport to another. But I can’t successfully transfer the weird alchemy I have for the Tigers to other teams. I’m a one trick pony.

A lesser version of it can go towards Boise State football or the Lions, but the highs are never as high, nor the lows as excoriating as they are for the motherland of the Tigers. The Tigers are my blue ice and it’s not even a choice, it’s just what it is.

Wishing you all the best until next year. Cheers. 

55 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Go Guardians! Beat Yankees!

Cleveland hasn't beaten NYY in regulation this season. 2-4 and the 2 were both won in extras. Definitely need to see them flip that script.

Wings will be at MSG tonight as well so we can look to double hex the big Apple.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I really think the whole club seat business model has resulted in really bad optics on home plate shots during games. This is an ALCS game and half the seats behind home plate are empty. It’s just a bad look. 

image.thumb.png.4934173b0175df2d23bc24bf191a6b94.png

well we are getting that at Comerica Park next year.  "Home Plate Club".  A friend of mine had his companies seats relocated.  He used to be right next to the on deck circles, on both sides, two sets of 4 tickets.   They pushed him back and out and he responded by going from 8 to 4 tickets.

Those home plate seats will be crazy expensive.  It does create bad optics but the only way it makes sense to use as a business tool is to be up in the club eating and drinking and schmoozing... plus as my friend told me, that way of doing business is going out of style, at least in his business.  It's more about presence and making yourself known in an industry.  His company doesn't have that problem.   I just hope he never gives up his suite at LCA... or retires.

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

well we are getting that at Comerica Park next year.  "Home Plate Club".  A friend of mine had his companies seats relocated.  He used to be right next to the on deck circles, on both sides, two sets of 4 tickets.   They pushed him back and out and he responded by going from 8 to 4 tickets.

Those home plate seats will be crazy expensive.  It does create bad optics but the only way it makes sense to use as a business tool is to be up in the club eating and drinking and schmoozing... plus as my friend told me, that way of doing business is going out of style, at least in his business.  It's more about presence and making yourself known in an industry.  His company doesn't have that problem.   I just hope he never gives up his suite at LCA... or retires.

Any idea what they’re hiking prices by for next year? It’s got to be double digits after this surprise run, right? Make hay while the sun’s shining and all that.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Any idea what they’re hiking prices by for next year? It’s got to be double digits after this surprise run, right? Make hay while the sun’s shining and all that.

I renewed back in August, before the run!  Bet they wish they had held off putting those together.  In fact when my rep called to ask about renewing the team was near its low point. 

• Haha 1