2024 MLB Thread

18 minutes ago, 1776 said:

This is a good piece on the Tampa Bay Rays and all the what-ifs of their current predicament, and there are many.
St. Pete has an insurance policy on the Trop. I know that question was raised here a while back. 

https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2024/10/15/where-rays-will-play-2025-one-many-questions-after-trop-damage/

I expect them to stay in Florida. My original thought was whether the Disneyworld site was still viable. Could the move the travel teams to day games and Rays at night. A built in audience.

Is there enough parking around the Durham park to accommodate a major league team? We've stayed at the Aloft on our trips to Duke and there's a parking lot there. I would imagine things get a bit crowded when the performing arts center next door has an event.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I really think the whole club seat business model has resulted in really bad optics on home plate shots during games. This is an ALCS game and half the seats behind home plate are empty. It’s just a bad look. 

image.thumb.png.4934173b0175df2d23bc24bf191a6b94.png

Actually, there were a lot of empty seats all over the stadium, based on the crowd shots on foul balls.

Yankees fans are such dilettantes. As an America's Team, the Yankees draw the most casual fans in the country. Most people who say they are Yankee fans are basically front runners who only show up for the big win, and judging from the stadium we saw last night, maybe not even then.

This is not to disparage Yankee fans who grew up in the tri-state area and came by their fandom honestly. They're as good as fans as anyone around the country. It just annoys me when people are dilettantes about it. I cheerfully acknowledge that’s a me problem.

31 minutes ago, 1776 said:

This is a good piece on the Tampa Bay Rays and all the what-ifs of their current predicament, and there are many.
St. Pete has an insurance policy on the Trop. I know that question was raised here a while back. 

https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2024/10/15/where-rays-will-play-2025-one-many-questions-after-trop-damage/

They would have been in dereliction of their responsibility to taxpayers had they not had an insurance policy on the Trop. 

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I expect them to stay in Florida. My original thought was whether the Disneyworld site was still viable. Could the move the travel teams to day games and Rays at night. A built in audience.

Is there enough parking around the Durham park to accommodate a major league team? We've stayed at the Aloft on our trips to Duke and there's a parking lot there. I would imagine things get a bit crowded when the performing arts center next door has an event.

I normally wouldn’t think the Rays would play at a minor league stadium long term, given the low capacity and lack of big league amenities, but seeing how the A’s will willingly play at a minor league ballpark for at least the next three years, I guess it’s fully on the table. 

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Good question. On a temporary basis as is discussed in this piece, yes. There is enough parking for the current ballpark seating capacity. 
If someday a MLB were a full time occupant in this location, the seating expansion may be a bigger issue for parking. I would guess that would require more parking resources than currently exist. 

I think Charlotte would get a team before Durham. The Charlotte park is within a short walk to the Panther’s park so I believe that problem is, for the most part, resolved. There is ample parking for the NFL team there. I’m sure there would be some additional work needed there but nothing like Durham.

20 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Good question. On a temporary basis as is discussed in this piece, yes. There is enough parking for the current ballpark seating capacity. 
If someday a MLB were a full time occupant in this location, the seating expansion may be a bigger issue for parking. I would guess that would require more parking resources than currently exist. 

I think Charlotte would get a team before Durham. The Charlotte park is within a short walk to the Panther’s park so I believe that problem is, for the most part, resolved. There is ample parking for the NFL team there. I’m sure there would be some additional work needed there but nothing like Durham.

I've walked around the outside of the Charlotte park, nice facility as is the Bulls park. Our timing has always been to happen to be in town either off season or when the teams are on the road. Someday, hopefully. 

44 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Actually, there were a lot of empty seats all over the stadium, based on the crowd shots on foul balls.

Yankees fans are such dilettantes. As an America's Team, the Yankees draw the most casual fans in the country. Most people who say they are Yankee fans are basically front runners who only show up for the big win, and judging from the stadium we saw last night, maybe not even then.

This is not to disparage Yankee fans who grew up in the tri-state area and came by their fandom honestly. They're as good as fans as anyone around the country. It just annoys me when people are dilettantes about it. I cheerfully acknowledge that’s a me problem.

It can't be ticket prices... at least in my case the listed price for the ALCS were actually cheaper than they were 10 years ago for the same seats. Back then the ALCS were in the $100 range.  This year they were listed at $85 on the app.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

It can't be ticket prices... at least in my case the listed price for the ALCS were actually cheaper than they were 10 years ago for the same seats. Back then the ALCS were in the $100 range.  This year they were listed at $85 on the app.

Regular season seats behind home plate at Yankee stadium run min-max of $400-$5,000(!) per ticket. No clue how much for a playoff.

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Regular season seats behind home plate at Yankee stadium run min-max of $400-$5,000(!) per ticket. No clue how much for a playoff.

I was thinking about the regular seats as I thought chas was also referring to empty seats in the stadium.  MLB sets the required take for playoff games for a sellout and it's up to the teams to decide how to get that from the fans.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Most of these dugout seats come with access to a premium club area with a full bar and amazing food spread.  I’d assume the people sitting in these home plate seats were at the game but chose to hang out inside and stuff their faces, get drunk, and try to pick up younger women like any obnoxious, Wall St. Yankee fan would.  

I read something today that the brand new LA Clippers basketball arena has no TV’s in the concourse and all the TV’s inside the private suites are disabled during the game to ensure people are in their seats watching the action.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Most of these dugout seats come with access to a premium club area with a full bar and amazing food spread.  I’d assume the people sitting in these home plate seats were at the game but chose to hang out inside and stuff their faces, get drunk, and try to pick up younger women like any obnoxious, Wall St. Yankee fan would.  

I read something today that the brand new LA Clippers basketball arena has no TV’s in the concourse and all the TV’s inside the private suites are disabled during the game to ensure people are in their seats watching the action.  

Will they cut cell/wireless service in the suites as well?

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think they’ll want to stay in the area to appeal to the current fan base.  Plenty of nearby minor league parks, including Tampa and Lakeland. Just don’t know what the seating capacity is for spring training locations. In theory, you could leverage a couple to provide scheduling flexibility.

Playing in the Tampa Yankees park?  Is that where the Yankees play spring training games?  Doesn’t part of the park resemble Yankee Stadium?   That could be interesting.

For what it’s worth, the Tigers play in Tampa June 20-22 this upcoming season.

34 minutes ago, casimir said:

Playing in the Tampa Yankees park?  Is that where the Yankees play spring training games?  Doesn’t part of the park resemble Yankee Stadium?   That could be interesting.

For what it’s worth, the Tigers play in Tampa June 20-22 this upcoming season.

I was there last July. The game was rained out but I did get some photos. 

IMG_9061.jpeg

IMG_9062.jpeg

I think they'll end up playing in the Tampa Yankees park.   Capacity is 11,500 (as of now) and they might be able to add some more seating.   Rays only draw a paid average of 16,000 anyway.  Only 2 teams drew fewer - Oakland (with it's fan revolt) and Miami (where nobody cares about baseball).    

This might be Nashville's chance to audition for an MLB team.      There had been rumors the Rays would move there anyway.   

13 hours ago, Hongbit said:

My wife and I just happened to be at the Grimace game back in June, stopping by for a Mets game as we were driving through on the way back from a Long island weekend. I guess Grimace had thrown out the first pitch, which we missed, but it was a Mets blowout from the word go, so everyone was in a party mood right away. They kept showing Grimace in different parts of the ballpark during inning breaks and people were going nuts, and of course, this was the beginning of a long winning streak for them, which sealed the deal.

It's a toss-up as to what's the more popular meme in Queens: Grimace, or OMG.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think they'll end up playing in the Tampa Yankees park.   Capacity is 11,500 (as of now) and they might be able to add some more seating.   Rays only draw a paid average of 16,000 anyway.  Only 2 teams drew fewer - Oakland (with it's fan revolt) and Miami (where nobody cares about baseball).    

This might be Nashville's chance to audition for an MLB team.      There had been rumors the Rays would move there anyway.   

I'm not sure they will want to play outside in Tampa in the middle of summer. I could see Nashville happening, though, perhaps as an audition for the White Sox to move there after the Dave Stewart group buys them from Reinsdorf.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure they will want to play outside in Tampa in the middle of summer. I could see Nashville happening, though, perhaps as an audition for the White Sox to move there after the Dave Stewart group buys them from Reinsdorf.

I think I've seen this show before. Wasn't a move to Tampa in the cards in order to replace Old Comiskey. It's a ploy to get funding for the Southside stadium, whether by Jerry or someone else.