2024 MLB Thread

Assuming the Guardians lose one of the next three, it will still have been a successful season for them, just like it was for the Tigers. An AL Central title, a bye into the ALDS, winning a playoff round, getting the fans excited. Something to build on. Like the Tigers, they will have some work this offseason to add a roster with 5 more wins.

10 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

We are seeing the downside of Pitching Chaos with how badly these relievers are getting over used.

i really hope we go into 2025 with a minimum of 7 guys we think can be 5+ inning starters

Skubal, FA, Olson, FA, winner of Mize/Maeda/Montero to start the season.

Montero, Jobe, Madden, Gipson-Long can start out in Toledo and be available as injuries occur.

46 minutes ago, casimir said:

Montero, Jobe, Madden, Gipson-Long can start out in Toledo and be available as injuries occur.

And we subsequently need to add two mid-high leverage relievers as well. 

Montero I would be fine with entering g the season as the #5 because he showed some great stuff at times.  Mize and Maeda need to show us something this offseason and spring.  I see no reason to have two of them as long relievers.  

Personally, I could care less about any positional upgrades.  The clear key to winning right now is having several effective pitching options.

Edited by monkeytargets39

I don’t think there is anyway short of looking terrible in spring training that Jobe will be in the Minors. He’s going to be up at some point anyway and they want the ability to get a draft pick. I think he’ll start as the 5th starter with a pitch/inning limit per start and will get extra schedule days off to limit workload. 

41 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I don’t think there is anyway short of looking terrible in spring training that Jobe will be in the Minors. He’s going to be up at some point anyway and they want the ability to get a draft pick. I think he’ll start as the 5th starter with a pitch/inning limit per start and will get extra schedule days off to limit workload. 

Exactly.  If they think he’ll be up at all, which they’ve already made clear they do, they would be foolish not to start him in the majors for the chance of the pick.  They can always send him down if they need to and would then be in the same situation (no chance of the pick) as starting the season in the minors.   Really no benefit to not starting in Detroit.

2 hours ago, Nate7474 said:

1 hour ago, 4hzglory said:

Exactly.  If they think he’ll be up at all, which they’ve already made clear they do, they would be foolish not to start him in the majors for the chance of the pick.  They can always send him down if they need to and would then be in the same situation (no chance of the pick) as starting the season in the minors.   Really no benefit to not starting in Detroit.

What gives me pause about Jobe is the inning increase from this season to next.  I looked at it again, and I didn’t realize he was almost at 100 for this season.  I thought he was only at around 75-80.

If they can manage his workload at the major league to not overload the increase, then that’s fine.  But can they also mimic the Paul Skenes’ plan where the April starts aren’t as long, build up the in season per game stamina, and save some pitches for the postseason?  I think it’s easier to manage a major league staff if that Skenes plan starts out in the minors.  But maybe they use Jobe as an opener early on, they can follow him with whatever bulk relievers they need to, and then as the season goes on, he can stretch out.

If Jobe does start in Detroit, it makes no sense to put him in the pen.  You’d want to make sure you’re getting him regular reps and a gameplan to follow as a starter….not potentially having him in situations where he doesn’t pitch for 8-10 days depending on how games go.

If we use him as an opener to limit innings, then they better open the pocket books and get a very legit #2 for Skubal…otherwise we are gonna burn out or long relief pen covering those innings plus whatever Mize/Maeda leave for them.  Gotta have a higher percentage of high leverage relievers over long men based on what we’ve seen this year.

Edited by monkeytargets39

57 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

If Jobe does start in Detroit, it makes no sense to put him in the pen.  You’d want to make sure you’re getting him regular reps and a gameplan to follow as a starter….not potentially having him in situations where he doesn’t pitch for 8-10 days depending on how games go.

If we use him as an opener to limit innings, then they better open the pocket books and get a very legit #2 for Skubal…otherwise we are gonna burn out or long relief pen covering those innings plus whatever Mize/Maeda leave for them.  Gotta have a higher percentage of high leverage relievers over long men based on what we’ve seen this year.

we don't know if they are going to operate on an innings cap and if so how hard it will be. If they are willing to let him go to 150 they can pretty much start him regularly but cap his outings at 5 IP  - maybe 75-80 pitches. Last off-season they had talked about limiting Skubal but in the end let him go over 200 IP so I doubt any plans made in April aren't going to be adjustable as the season progresses. OTOH they will/should/must(!) be more careful with Jobe than they were with Skubal, given the difference in their age/career workload.

On 10/18/2024 at 10:31 PM, monkeytargets39 said:

We are seeing the downside of Pitching Chaos with how badly these relievers are getting over used.

i really hope we go into 2025 with a minimum of 7 guys we think can be 5+ inning starters

Right, pitching chaos was never going to be a roster-affecting go-forward strategy. It’s a fun label for the concept of making do with what you got.

22 hours ago, casimir said:

I wouldn’t doubt we see Jobe coming out of camp. You just know he’s going to have a relatively focused and intense winter. No chilling out in the islands for weeks on end for this guy. This is the paying dues portion of his young career.

I don’t think Montero is ever going to be more than just Mr. Right Now. There’s a good chance Mize ends up as Mr. What Could Have Been. Mazda might be simply done. 

I’m with you on the rest of your March-April rotation.

9 hours ago, papalawrence said:

I hope Harris at least kicks the tires on Soto. I know that's a pipe dream. He's still only 25 years old! Talk about command of the strike zone. So talented

I really doubt the Yankees can afford to let the kid who just won them the American League pennant in an iconic-optics fashion to just walk away from them to go to Detroit. They would never be able to explain that to Yankee Nation, and they wouldn’t live it down for years. They could not get away with taking that big a dump in the punchbowl. There is no one else Soto’s age in the game with such potential to end up an inner-circle Hall of Famer; he already is on one of the two teams that can comfortably pay what he demands; and he basically has them over a barrel.  Soto will probably be their #1 star into the 2030s.