2024 MLB Thread

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I am sold on Olson's ability.  Not sold on his health.  

He's a little undersized for as hard as he throws, I don't know what the prevailing theories are on that anymore. 

Looking at his record he's made 21, 25, 28, and 22 starts over the last 4 yrs. He's a regular Cal Ripken compared to Mize or Manning! :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ICroupier said:

I think this is a reasonable expectation.

Skubal / FA #2 / Reese / Jobe / Mize, with Montero / Hurter as rotation depth-long men. 

And while reasonable, I still have some heartburn over that being our likely approach heading into next year. 

I'm not sold on Reese as of yet, so next year will be critical for his development. And I'm definitely not counting on Mize, but I see them giving him one more chance to remain healthy / consistent.

My other concern is the weak FA pitching options. Assuming Burnes / Cole / Snell are not options, that leaves a lot of guys with question marks. I think I'd maybe target a 3-year deal for someone like Fried or Severino.

I’d like to get Fried or get Flaherty back and then go after a bounce back from injury guy like like Buehler or Bieber.  Go with guys that have high ceilings rather than another Maeda type.  

I don’t want the early part of this competitive window we hopefully are entering being highly dependent on Mize and over-reliant on Jobe right away.

I’m largely fine without making big offensive signings.  

22 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I’d like to get Fried or get Flaherty back and then go after a bounce back from injury guy like like Buehler or Bieber.  Go with guys that have high ceilings rather than another Maeda type.  

I don’t want the early part of this competitive window we hopefully are entering being highly dependent on Mize and over-reliant on Jobe right away.

I’m largely fine without making big offensive signings.  

I could be wrong, but even with the injury concerns surrounding Reese and Mize, I don't see them investing in 2 SPs.

That would, in essence, create a 6-man rotation (as I don't see them keeping Mize out). Would just seem hard to believe we'd go from 2 SPs + chaos to 6 SPs.

I'd rather that $ go to a RH bat.

And I do like the potential upside of arms like Buehler or Bieber. But with as close as we are, I guess I'd rather bring in lower floor, known quantity types (like a Canha) vs. someone we're rolling the dice on.

Edited by ICroupier

21 minutes ago, ICroupier said:

I could be wrong, but even with the injury concerns surrounding Reese and Mize, I don't see them investing in 2 SPs.

That would, in essence, create a 6-man rotation (as I don't see them keeping Mize out). Would just seem hard to believe we'd go from 2 SPs + chaos to 6 SPs.

And I do like the potential upside of arms like Buehler or Bieber. But with as close as we are, I guess I'd rather bring in lower floor, known quantity types (like a Canha) vs. someone we're rolling the dice on.

We signed Maeda last year. He gave us nothing. We still made the playoffs. Now is not the time for 'known quanity type' but guys who if healthy can push on upward. If they get hurt again, oh well same boat. 

You can sign a couple pitchers for a total of 40-50 million. Sign a reliever for 8 or so and trade for the bat (cause there are few in the market) and your really only seeing the payroll rise by 30-40 million next season

I could something like this:

Skubal, Olson, Flaherty(or equv FA), Holton with number 5 coming from however it shakes out in ST - one of Manning, Mize, Gipson-Long, Montero, Hanifee, Hurter, Madden, Maeda,  though if Hurter make the rotation Holton stays in the pen.

Sign a LH reliever to if Holton goes to the pen. 

A second LH starter would be a good thing to have against Cleveland, though Minny and KC are not particularly LH as Cle is.

1 hour ago, ICroupier said:

Bieber probably wouldn’t be ready to go until some point mid-season since he had Tommy John.   Adding him would be more of a potential move to have an ace caliber pitcher join the team late in a hypothetical playoff push.  Would be a hell of a lot easier to acquire a possible good arm by signing him this way than trying to trade for one at the deadline.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

We signed Maeda last year. He gave us nothing. We still made the playoffs. Now is not the time for 'known quanity type' but guys who if healthy can push on upward. If they get hurt again, oh well same boat. 

You can sign a couple pitchers for a total of 40-50 million. Sign a reliever for 8 or so and trade for the bat (cause there are few in the market) and your really only seeing the payroll rise by 30-40 million next season

That and if we sign two SPs and have a glut of them, there’s nothing stopping us from trading an SP at the deadline in a market that will assuredly be desperate for them.

5 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Bieber probably wouldn’t be ready to go until some point mid-season since he had Tommy John.   Adding him would be more of a potential move to have an ace caliber pitcher join the team late in a hypothetical playoff push.  Would be a hell of a lot easier to acquire a possible good arm by signing him this way than trying to trade for one at the deadline.

Yeah, but I've heard many pitchers struggle for the first half of a season or so coming back from TJ surgeries. The Tigers should sign Matthew Boyd.

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The teams for the WS were decided on Sunday night. But the WS doesn't start until Friday. If it goes the full 7 games, it ends November 2nd. Summer past-time.

That never bothered me because baseball is my favorite sport and I’m sad when it’s over and don’t like waiting until February.  Weather is no worse than in April.  

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

That never bothered me because baseball is my favorite sport and I’m sad when it’s over and don’t like waiting until February.  Weather is no worse than in April.  

True. And it seems like there's actually better weather than April,  at least around here. But it's still...November.

9 hours ago, ICroupier said:

They had more than five starters entering Spring Training last year - Skubal, Olson, Meada, Flaherty, Mize, Manning - and people wre saying they had too many starters...You can nver ever have too much pitching!