2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

That’s misleading.  The Tigers as a whole are 89 OPS+.  That’s 27th out of 30 teams.

They are at 96 wRC+ (17th) in the last 30 days and 97 wRC+ (tied for 16th) in the last 14 days, so they're moving in the right direction.

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

They are at 96 wRC+ (17th) in the last 30 days and 97 wRC+ (tied for 16th) in the last 14 days, so they're moving in the right direction.

If they get off the blow out win, one run loss merrygoround those numbers will be more satisfying. If you just stop expecting Baez to exceed a 220 BA, then what we're waiting for is Greene, Torkelson, and CF - either for Perez to keep it up or for Parker to come back better. A 3 hitter swing is really all it take to move a line-up from futile to productive.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I also wonder if any other guys in the clubhouse got  subcllnical cases of the bug that felled Maeda.

Edited by gehringer_2

17 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

... Would like to see Dingler come up, but not sure he’d be an upgrade over Rogers...

I sort of ignored this part...

But I went to go look at some numbers just because I wanted to see the comparisons. Since Dingler has only been a minor leaguer I should start there. But before I start on the numbers a few thoughts I had on him:

1) I thought I remembered in his draft profile that he had a high hit tool and so I thought "Great, a possible .290-ish hitting catcher with some power! That would be great!" He quickly dispelled me of that notion as he struggled a few years in Erie trying to get over .240. His first Pro year, in Lakeland at .333 and .287 at WM, had me hopeful, even though he got some Erie time that same year and hit .202. His 2nd year was .238 at Erie and 3rd year was (2023) was .253. Now I'm thinking he's gonna be more Jake Rogers.

2) By 2022 I'm thinking Dingler will end up somewhere between Jake Rogers and Lance Parrish... and HOPING he ends up closer to Parrish than Rogers. He's sucking wind at Erie though and I'm thinking "Crap, he's gonna be more like Jake Rogers".

Some #'s:

Parrish: 6'3" 210#'s, RH'ed. Drafted out of HS. Wasn't a high average guy. And actually did better in the Majors than in the minors. Probably because he was drafted as a HS kid.

Minors: 1,626 PA's, 56 HR's, .241 BA, .732 OPS. And he made the Tigers at age 21.

Majors: 7,797 PA's, 324 HR's, .252 BA, .753 OPS. Also: Lifetime WAR of 39.5 and OPS+ of 106.

Rogers:  6'1" 205#'s, RH'ed. Drafted - Tulane. Majors at 24.

Minors: 1,392 PA's, 52 HR's, .242 BA, .779 OPS. (Pretty close to Parrish except he was older from start to finish).

Majors: 726 PA's, 33 HR's, .204 BA, .673 OPS. Well that sucks.

Dingler:  6'2" 210#'s, RH'ed. Drafted out of Ohio State. 25 & in Toledo right now.

Minors: 1,317 PA's, 48 HR's, .248 BA, .773 OPS. Yeah... I'm hoping he's closer to Parrish than Rogers. Not by age... just by MLB performance...

54 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If they get off the blow out win, one run loss merrygoround those numbers will be more satisfying. If you just stop expecting Baez to exceed a 220 BA, then what we're waiting for is Greene, Torkelson, and CF - either for Perez to keep it up or for Parker to come back better. A 3 hitter swing is really all it take to move a line-up from futile to productive.

Granted this is still below average, if ever so slightly, but I also think this means we’re going in the right direction. They’re hitting better lately, they’re one of the youngest teams in the majors, and once they get actual hitting talent on the team, I’d bet we’ll be a lot more satisfied with the results.

I think anyone who thought this team was going to win this division, despite everything we’d read about them going in, was just setting themselves up to be disappointed. Speaking only for myself, I’m not going to rage about how much Javy and Canha and Urshela and Jake suck at the plate at any given time, because they’re not going to be part of this team when we’re actual contenders in a couple of years. The only one I’m really concerned about is Tork, because he’s the only one who’s been penciled in at first for that contender. He’s gotta do the work to get fixed, and I suspect he hasn’t fully take it seriously even as of yet.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The only one I’m really concerned about is Tork, because he’s the only one who’s been penciled in at first for that contender. He’s gotta do the work to get fixed, and I suspect he hasn’t fully take it seriously even as of yet.

totally off the wall suggestion would be to bat him lead-off to force him to think OBP, except the result would be painful if he didn't respond.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

totally off the wall suggestion would be to bat him lead-off to force him to think OBP, except the result would be painful if he didn't respond.

I don’t think intentionally embarrassing him is going to do any good.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the same thing could be had by throwing him into the 9th spot.

Nothing to do there but get on base. But also... he's right in front of the top of the order... which would actually be an incentive to get on base.

Four guys with OPS above league average in the lineup, and two of the guys we’re sitting down are also above .700 OPS. Who says we’re scraping the bottom of the table on offense.

On 5/24/2024 at 10:09 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Since this is a transition year... to sift through some kids trying to see what sticks...

I want to demote (all have an option or two so we don't lose these guys):

Torkelson. Rogers. And Vierling ...

I think these guys read my post in here...

And got QUITE...

IRKED.

And have decided to show me up this weekend.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

PS: Good for you guys.

I take it to mean they won't spend just to make a marketing splash but for specific players that will help that at that moment in time. They have to find out who on the current roster can play and how the kids in the minors develop to see what their needs are.

On 5/26/2024 at 3:56 PM, 1984Echoes said:

I think these guys read my post in here...

And got QUITE...

IRKED.

And have decided to show me up this weekend.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

PS: Good for you guys.

You're almost like....a Strategy Expert! 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I think Harris wants to evaluate how our young guys play in the bigs before cutting bait on any of them and replacing via free agency.  Based on a career of a sub-.700 OPS for Tork, I could see them looking at 1B this offseason.  He didn’t draft him, so there isn’t the typical loyalty or optics around one of your own guys.

18 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think Harris wants to evaluate how our young guys play in the bigs before cutting bait on any of them and replacing via free agency.  Based on a career of a sub-.700 OPS for Tork, I could see them looking at 1B this offseason.  He didn’t draft him, so there isn’t the typical loyalty or optics around one of your own guys.

That’s exactly what Harris always said the plan is: lay down a solid base via the system, continue to build from within over time via the draft and UDFAs, fill in the active roster with trades and free agents and the 40-man with waiver claims and MiLFAs, and don’t fall in love long-term with flawed players based on a good year or two.

As for Tork, the tricky part with him is the tantalizing talent we don’t want to go get unlocked somewhere else, especially with the division or league. The talent is there, and the team that unlocks it is going to benefit from it for a while. But probably the best outcome for us here is that he goes on a really good run, and we flip him for a solid starter or major league-ready prospect to someone not exactly looking under the hood. That one would be a tall order, though.

53 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That’s exactly what Harris always said the plan is: lay down a solid base via the system, continue to build from within over time via the draft and UDFAs, fill in the active roster with trades and free agents and the 40-man with waiver claims and MiLFAs, and don’t fall in love long-term with flawed players based on a good year or two.

As for Tork, the tricky part with him is the tantalizing talent we don’t want to go get unlocked somewhere else, especially with the division or league. The talent is there, and the team that unlocks it is going to benefit from it for a while. But probably the best outcome for us here is that he goes on a really good run, and we flip him for a solid starter or major league-ready prospect to someone not exactly looking under the hood. That one would be a tall order, though.

We don’t have to cut him.  I’m assuming he has options left—let him spend next season in Toledo to work on things.  He could always work his way back in as a DH if we invest long term in finding his replacement at 1B.

12 hours ago, 1776 said:

Not sure where to put this so…

On June 11th Lance Parrish, with Tom Gage, will release, The Enchanted Season. Yes, another book on the 1984 season. 

I just pre-ordered it.  I have not read a book about 1984 that I thought was really good. Maybe, I am just too nostalgic about that season.   

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We don’t have to cut him.  I’m assuming he has options left—let him spend next season in Toledo to work on things.  He could always work his way back in as a DH if we invest long term in finding his replacement at 1B.

This administration don't want a permanent DH, at least not in the foreseeable future, and besides, most teams don't even use permanent DHs, anyway. Almost half of all teams, 14 of 30, give fewer than 50% of their DH plate appearances to one guy, and only eight teams give more than two-thirds of their DH PAs to one guy. So I don't sentencing Tork to a year in Toledo and then making him permanent DH indefinitely is in anyone's plans.

The teams that benefit most from permanent DHs are those that have strong offense at hitting positions, mainly corners, like the Braves (Ozuna), Dodgers (Ohtani), Phillies (Schwarber), Yankees (Stanton), and Astros (Alvarez). Absent that, permanent DHs tend to play on teams with big-contract and/or legacy guys who can't play anywhere else, like Mitch Garver of the Mariners, or Andrew McCutchen of the Pirates—or Miggy for the Tigers for the last several years.