2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He’ll be fine.  In the interim, Harris needs to bring Malloy up or make a move outside the organization.  Baddoo is at best a placeholder.

If Canha goes on the IL, I would hope Malloy comes up but I'm guessing we'll get Vilade again.

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

or Meadows

We're already struggling a lot against Lefties...

I don't think you can call up Meadows for Canha unless both Malloy & Meadows are coming up (meaning the Org has decided that Meadows is ready to try MLB again) and Baddoo is sent back down to Toledo.

IMO.

6 hours ago, casimir said:

I think we can all agree I'm an idiot.  But I'm thinking the words "spinal fracture" and "baseball swing" don't do well together.  I think Baddoo can unpack his bags for a while.  Hopefully his new mechanics yield well in the next few months.  I don't know how the front office perceives his future beyond this season, but he's going to have the opportunity to show his wares for 29 other teams.

Bear in mind stress fractures are basically small cracks that don't sever the bone, and they tend to heal.

Lucas Duda had this injury in 2016, came back and had a pretty decent 2017 before declining in 2018-19. He was a 30-something 1B/DH, so that decline is within reason for his age.

Jazz Chisholm had this injury in 2022, and really hasn't fallen off the map since coming back.

The key with stress fractures is to rest up, don't rush it, and let them heal.

36 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We're already struggling a lot against Lefties...

I don't think you can call up Meadows for Canha unless both Malloy & Meadows are coming up (meaning the Org has decided that Meadows is ready to try MLB again) and Baddoo is sent back down to Toledo.

IMO.

I agree but they seem to love the plus defense that comes with Meadows and I can see that trumping anything else

37 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I agree but they seem to love the plus defense that comes with Meadows and I can see that trumping anything else

Right... But what I'm saying is it would be a Baddoo for Meadows swap.

If it's Canha going on IL, it's Canha for Malloy.

IMO.

Of course... they'll do the opposite...

40 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Plus Parker's crushing it in Toledo so he's probably earned another shot here.

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Right... But what I'm saying is it would be a Baddoo for Meadows swap.

If it's Canha going on IL, it's Canha for Malloy.

IMO.

Of course... they'll do the opposite...

maybe they just dont seem to be in a hurry to bring up Malloy I'd be interested at seeing what we have with him

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Bear in mind stress fractures are basically small cracks that don't sever the bone, and they tend to heal.

Lucas Duda had this injury in 2016, came back and had a pretty decent 2017 before declining in 2018-19. He was a 30-something 1B/DH, so that decline is within reason for his age.

Jazz Chisholm had this injury in 2022, and really hasn't fallen off the map since coming back.

The key with stress fractures is to rest up, don't rush it, and let them heal.

I didn't think this was a career threatening deal.  But at the same time, it sounds like something that is going to take a good amount of time to heal, something that could indeed require months rather than weeks.

The original statement was oddly worded. It said “he’s completing rehab” which makes it sound like he’s almost done.  That’s why I asked my wife, who is an OT not a PT how long that kind of thing could take.  Her experience was that it could be 8 weeks of some kind of rehab before someone like you or I would feel 100%. Of course we aren’t exerting ourselves at a pro sport level. 

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

The original statement was oddly worded. It said “he’s completing rehab” which makes it sound like he’s almost done.  That’s why I asked my wife, who is an OT not a PT how long that kind of thing could take.  Her experience was that it could be 8 weeks of some kind of rehab before someone like you or I would feel 100%. Of course we aren’t exerting ourselves at a pro sport level. 

The "completing rehab" was definitely odd.  It could be an extremely minor case.  He last played May 26.   I guess I don't see how diagnosis, adequate rest, reevaluation, and completing rehab would be wrapped up in less than a week.

Why is the brain trust so intent on seeing Torkelson fail?  He has had zero success this season and has zero confidence.  Things aren't suddenly going to turn around.  Send him to the minors and let him work on his swing, approach, etc.  

To me, this just further shows the incompetence of Harris and Hinch.  

At this point, I am of the opinion that Tork is toast. I take absolutely no joy in saying that whatsoever. I don't see how things improve though, maybe after the ASB, when he will get almost a week away from baseball.

The situation now is we need a competent 1B, 3B, and SS minimally.

1 hour ago, tiger2022 said:

Why is the brain trust so intent on seeing Torkelson fail?  He has had zero success this season and has zero confidence.  Things aren't suddenly going to turn around.  Send him to the minors and let him work on his swing, approach, etc.  

To me, this just further shows the incompetence of Harris and Hinch.  

Obviously we don't know what goes on that we don't see. Hinch claims Torkelson is a tireless worker, which you can believe based on his improvements with the glove, but the question is *what* is he working on with the bat? It's very hard at this point to accept the premise that Tiger coaching is helping Torkelson and that leads to the conclusion that one of two things is true, either a) he is too stubborn to change a failing approach he is over committed too, or b)whatever it is the Tigers are advising him is just not the right answer for him. I suppose at this point whichever is true, maybe Toledo is in order because in case a) it should get his attention, or in case B, he'll get a different perspective from different coaches (hopefully).

Even the guys in the booth are putting out there that Tork has to be more aggressive early in the count. Given the Tiger media ecosystem that tends to make me believe they are getting that direct from Hinch, but that is just a guess. But now it's looking like even more than than now - he has to improve his plate coverage as well, and maybe that is going to take some swing retooling - IDK.....He's a messed up puppy right now.

Would it make any sense to just platoon Tork for the next 6 weeks and if he starts hitting left-handers begin playing him against some righties and if success maintains then playing him full time again. Perhaps doing all of this as a DH as well. Try to find incremental success at the major league level. 

45 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Would it make any sense to just platoon Tork for the next 6 weeks and if he starts hitting left-handers begin playing him against some righties and if success maintains then playing him full time again. Perhaps doing all of this as a DH as well. Try to find incremental success at the major league level. 

Who is our LH'ed 1st baseman?

PS: If you're sitting him against all RH'ers... Then what's the point? You're already admitting that he's broken at that point... So I don't see the sense of benching against all RH'ers versus sending him to Toledo and fixing everything that's broken. Partially benching him in Detroit does NOT allow him to fix things... It only puts him on the bench. You can't fix things when sitting on the bench.

It doesn't make sense to me. Just send him to AAA.

Posted (edited)

I'm of the belief that sending experienced guys to the minors to "figure things out" rarely ever works out in the end but considering we're semi competitive right now(4 back of the WC) it is better for the team to have Tork hack it out in the minors than see him go 0-4 every game up here. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Not a platoon just a desperate option for Tork other than demotion 

I think we're past that point.

And I would rather have the Org carry a message that total craptastic is no longer acceptable. Not even as any kind of insult to Tork... but just that the current level of play is unacceptable in Detroit. 

I don't know how that squares with Baez... there's some hypocrisy there that I'm spouting... but there are replacements for Tork, and not really for Baez. But also, the sooner the team is able to eat Baez' contract and jettison him... the better, IMO. So personally, I'm not being hypocritical... It's just circumstances dictate...

And to me, Tork's level of play is unacceptable. Just as was Parker Meadows level of play. So I believe Tork should be in Toledo. Until he proves he deserves to be in Detroit. IMO.

MLBtraderumors says that we are indeed sending down Tork to make room for Malloy. As I said I'm skeptical that the move will do anything for Tork but the fact is when we are trying to win games we just can't afford his empty bat in the lineup so even if it doesn't help him from a team perspective it is the right call. 

• Like 1

Baez has a very good glove at SS and he is hitting well with RISP.  He frustrates the hell out of me when he swings at pitches not even close to the strike zone...but he contributes.  Tork isn't a great or even good defender and he struggles to hit middle/middle fb in the low 90's.  Heard Dickerson say that he  gets caught in the rocking chair....changing speeds and levels seems to completely screw him up.   Don't know how you fix that..but running him out there every day isn't working