2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

7 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Word on the street is Hinch plans to play Malloy only against lefties and pinch hit occasionally.  Sounds like Hinch is setting him up to fail from the start.  I know, I shouldn't question the sage of the garbage cans.

Understand, AJ Hinch is a graduate of Stanford University  with a Psychology Degree. His wisdom is infinite. 

Posted (edited)

Here are the top 10 picks in both Mize and Tork’s draft.  I purposely didn’t go beyond 10 picks, because anyone drafted after nine other teams passed on those players, in addition to the Tigers.  With the exception of a couple of guys (Bohm, India), we really didn’t pass on anyone much better than our selections (so far).

Also, it’s too early to give on Mize and Tork—perhaps they won’t live up to 1-1 expectations, they could still end up contributing more than others we might have picked.

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1257.jpeg

Edited by Tenacious D

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

We have been through this before.  Teams are built in many different ways.  Not even trying to win and losing 100+ games for multiple years is not the only way to build and I don't think it's a particularly good one.  

it is if you have a good management team in place.  see the cubs and the astros.

its not if you dont have a good management team in place.  see the detroit ****ing tigers, or the pirates, or the white sox (but the sox rebuild has been more successful than detroit's, which is the definition of damning with faint praise).

or, we could be the rays and just keep on keeping on.  people used to talk that way about the cardinals too.  not so much anymore.

but to your point, baseball drafts are such crapshoots that tanking in baseball is probably less of a sound strategy than in other sports.  

i thought the tigers should have sold verlander, martinez, etc when they did.  but what i failed to realize at the time was that al avila was incompetent.  fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice....wont get fooled again!

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Small potatoes but keeping McKinstry over Buddy Kennedy is dumb.   

A bit of a gamble, but only if another team claims him.  Which isn’t very likely.  However, your point is well taken—I’d rather have Buddy on the team right now.

5 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Word on the street is Hinch plans to play Malloy only against lefties and pinch hit occasionally.  Sounds like Hinch is setting him up to fail from the start.  I know, I shouldn't question the sage of the garbage cans.

He says as Hinch starts him his first game against a RHP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

it is if you have a good management team in place.  see the cubs and the astros.

its not if you dont have a good management team in place.  see the detroit ****ing tigers, or the pirates, or the white sox (but the sox rebuild has been more successful than detroit's, which is the definition of damning with faint praise).

If you have a good management team in place, then tanking can work and other strategies can work too.  Also, if a team feels like they need to tank because their farm system sucks, then it might mean that they don't have good management.     

Is tanking a thing?  Or is it “I’m not spending a few million bucks more just to win 73 games instead of 63.  Would rather invest that money elsewhere”.   I don’t think orgs make decisions to get a higher pick.  I think they assume that.extra cost for marginal ML players is not wise investments. 

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

"3B" image.png.90c813466a7e349a4120e713cdae5ae9.png

from the freep "As for Torkelson, the Tigers want him to tweak the lower-half mechanics in his swing to be more athletic and adjustable at the plate."

I hope the plain English translation of that is 'cover more of the strike zone.'

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

from the freep "As for Torkelson, the Tigers want him to tweak the lower-half mechanics in his swing to be more athletic and adjustable at the plate."

I hope the plain English translation of that is 'cover more of the strike zone.'

This is exactly from the MLB Network interview Tork and Greene did at the start of the year. Tork said all I'm thinking is hands and Greene said I'm the opposite and the host said everyone he ever talked to was also the opposite. Tork derp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Is tanking a thing?  Or is it “I’m not spending a few million bucks more just to win 73 games instead of 63.  Would rather invest that money elsewhere”.   I don’t think orgs make decisions to get a higher pick.  I think they assume that.extra cost for marginal ML players is not wise investments. 

Tanking is just a word I use to describe the process of a team selling off all their veterans and pretty much starting from scratch.  It usually results in multiple years of terrible baseball with no guarantee of future success.  I think it's done more to save money than to get higher draft picks.  

4 hours ago, buddha said:

i thought the tigers should have sold verlander, martinez, etc when they did.  but what i failed to realize at the time was that al avila was incompetent.  fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice....wont get fooled again!

Oh my god did we ever get crushed in the return for those guys. That’s what he got when he met more than his match across the table. Avila had to be thanking his lucky stars Theo didn’t know how to trade. Either that or he just let Jed handle it because he was too important to get involved in it.

14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I was contemplating McKinstry not long ago and, I gotta tell ya, he’s had a much better career than he could ever have been expected to have. A man of slight talents and drafted 1001st overall in 2015 right out of high school, he’s just a few weeks short of hitting the three-year service mark, which means he’s made a couple million dollars in the game, way better than most 33rd-rounders could ever dream of doing. He’s arb-eligible next week so it’s almost certainly the end of the line, but in any event, good for him.

17 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Can Kennedy play shortstop? When your starting shortstop is Javy Baez, you need a second guy on the roster who can play there. That's why McKinstry is still on the roster. His time is running low with Kreidler off the Toledo IL though.

• Like 1