2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Their stats are almost the same as last year but overall offense is down in baseball so their wRC+ is better this year. They are getting more value out of their baserunning this year. Performance like Javy Baez skews the stats as well. Excellent numbers with runners in scoring position, horrendous otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

Their stats are almost the same as last year but overall offense is down in baseball so their wRC+ is better this year. They are getting more value out of their baserunning this year. Performance like Javy Baez skews the stats as well. Excellent numbers with runners in scoring position, horrendous otherwise.

True - Baez is having a weird season.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Here's another theory - they are above average at hitting below average pitching. Thus you get feast or famine. Beat up on guys who throw too many cookies, struggle to hit against even moderately good command when they have to adjust to hitting pitches where they are thrown.

Last they they couldn't even do that, so that would be an improvement!

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the answer is both.  They have improved offensively this year, but they are not the 13th best team offensively. Their OPS and other rate stats don't show that, but they have somehow upped their run total by bunching their hits together.  

I would hope they'd improve over a historcally bad offense in 2022

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Their stats are almost the same as last year but overall offense is down in baseball so their wRC+ is better this yearThey are getting more value out of their baserunning this year. Performance like Javy Baez skews the stats as well. Excellent numbers with runners in scoring position, horrendous otherwise.

True, not much has been made of the decrease in offense in MLB to this point. It will likely get better in the summer months, but it probably won't catch up to 2023 overall

15 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I guess I see it as him questioning why the run scored is 13th and the under lying stats dont support a number that high

I belive the 6 times that scored 10+ runs in a game has skewed the number of runs

Yes, I see that. I would say that even if the underlying stats don't seem to support the 13th most runs (actually 15th most looking at runs per game), the offense is still remarkably better than the bottom-five offense we had last year, and for years before that. We are moving in the right direction, so scoring more runs

Funny how, though, fans tend to attribute that to luck and not coaching, since when we fail to score runs in any given situation or game, it's all about the failing coaching ... 😏

Listening to Motor City Metrics podcast and Chris Brown mentioned Ha Seong Kim for this upcoming offseason.  Clearly they’ve been reading my posts here and they recognize my avatar.  Kim to Detroit.  Let’s make it happen!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

You’re all overthinking it.  It’s the magic of the pizza spear.

I'd rather blame it when we dont score.....i've noticed alot teams dont do homerun crap any more unless I've missed it

The Tigers’ IF coming into the season was locked at 1B, 2B, and SS.  3B was going to be a mix.  Heading into today, of course the most productive IF position for the Tigers (in terms of bbref WAR) has been 3B.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

The Tigers’ IF coming into the season was locked at 1B, 2B, and SS.  3B was going to be a mix.  Heading into today, of course the most productive IF position for the Tigers (in terms of bbref WAR) has been 3B.

Baseball

2 hours ago, casimir said:

This is what I want them to figure out this year. Answer these questions or go get answers. No more evaluation year next year.

Greene and Carpenter look solid but injury prone. Vierling and Ibanez are good bench guys. Keith looks promising. Rogers is good defensively. It's pretty clear which pitchers are part of the future. Jung's bat looks promising but quite a few errors. Meadows is great defensively but struggled here.

Otherwise, lots of question marks. 

2 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Baseball

Yes and no.  Torkelson and Baez have stunk out loud and 3B has probably been slightly better than expected.  I think the first half of that equation is the extreme of baseball.

Former major league infielder, coach and instructor Mike Brumley was killed in a car crash on Saturday night. He was 61.

Brumley made his major league debut with Chicago in 1987 and later played for the Detroit Tigers (1989), Mariners, Red Sox (1991-92), Houston Astros (1993, 1995) and Oakland Athletics (1994).

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40366468/former-infielder-coach-mike-brumley-killed-crash-61

• Sad 1

One thing to consider, even though the Tigers won’t discuss it: Service time. If Meadows sticks in Toledo the remainder of this month, he can remain Tigers property a full year longer ahead of free agency.

Big, big, big consideration there, as MLB strategies in 2024 are forged. Should Meadows continue to show that he’s calmed down and is hitting hard stuff, he should be an easy call-up as soon as the first week of July, and perhaps no later than the All-Star break.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/06/16/henning-estimating-a-return-debut-detroit-tigers-at-toledo/74116713007/

I don't usually agree with much that a bunch of beat writers sitting around are talking about, but 27th out of 28 doesn't seem too harsh. Score of 23.75 is the average of the rankings by the four of them. None of them rank the Tigers as low as 27, but none of them rank us as high as 18, either.

On the other hand, they rank San Diego's at #5, so, yikes.

An homage to the Motor City’s ingenuity, these unis feature several car-inspired details, including tire treads, VIN tags and road signs.

On-field debut: May 10, 2024

Rosecrans: (25): At least in other hype videos, they pretend to like the new uniforms, but in this one half the people are wearing regular Tigers gear and they rap about the Old English D, which only has a cameo on the uniform’s sleeve patch. The tire tracks look like the people wearing this have been run over, which may be an appropriate metaphor for the last decade or so of Tigers baseball, but it’s hardly inspiring.

Kepner (26): This predictable “Motor City” theme is begging for the Jaws of Life. It’s yet another dark jersey over dark pants combo, with a cap that looks like a mid-level prize option at a carnival.

Nesbitt (26): In case the “Motor City” nickname didn’t get the theme across, you’ve got tire tracks down the placket (?), a VIN tag on the cap and helmet (??), and a sleeve patch designed like the M-1 road sign (???). We get it! Cars! It could have been worse, I guess. Shocked that the designers didn’t just slap “SOUTH DETROIT” across the chest while they were at it.

Jones (18): I’m fine with “Motor City” but it goes overboard with the car references. Who wants a jersey with tire marks?! Might as well have used a license plate for names on the back.

I’ve never been a Yankees fan, ever. But, I have to tip my hat to them for not being a party to this City Connect circus. The Tigers should have opted out as well but, not surprisingly, that didn’t happen.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don't usually agree with much that a bunch of beat writers sitting around are talking about, but 27th out of 28 doesn't seem too harsh. Score of 23.75 is the average of the rankings by the four of them. None of them rank the Tigers as low as 27, but none of them rank us as high as 18, either.

On the other hand, they rank San Diego's at #5, so, yikes.

An homage to the Motor City’s ingenuity, these unis feature several car-inspired details, including tire treads, VIN tags and road signs.

On-field debut: May 10, 2024

Rosecrans: (25): At least in other hype videos, they pretend to like the new uniforms, but in this one half the people are wearing regular Tigers gear and they rap about the Old English D, which only has a cameo on the uniform’s sleeve patch. The tire tracks look like the people wearing this have been run over, which may be an appropriate metaphor for the last decade or so of Tigers baseball, but it’s hardly inspiring.

Kepner (26): This predictable “Motor City” theme is begging for the Jaws of Life. It’s yet another dark jersey over dark pants combo, with a cap that looks like a mid-level prize option at a carnival.

Nesbitt (26): In case the “Motor City” nickname didn’t get the theme across, you’ve got tire tracks down the placket (?), a VIN tag on the cap and helmet (??), and a sleeve patch designed like the M-1 road sign (???). We get it! Cars! It could have been worse, I guess. Shocked that the designers didn’t just slap “SOUTH DETROIT” across the chest while they were at it.

Jones (18): I’m fine with “Motor City” but it goes overboard with the car references. Who wants a jersey with tire marks?! Might as well have used a license plate for names on the back.

I see a lot of fans at Comerica wearing the gear and I'm 50 years old and probably not their demograhic so... I just chalk it up to something not meant for me, and I ignore it.

I do enjoy seeing all the older "boomer" fans bitch about it on social media though.

26 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Flaherty's Savant page has lots of red. If he continues this path, you have to believe that other FA pitchers will want to come to Detroit simply by looking at how they helped Lorenzen last year and Flaherty this year.

image.png.50ddc7b6e0d9246167cc88bb3841ed79.png

The Lorenzen spin from the Tigers has been interesting, given his lack of market and subsequent paycut this past offseason.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, romad1 said:

If you had to assess....is this Tigers team (2024) and organization (beyond 2024) on the right track?  

Broken 1-1 pick does not help my feels. 

Better track than two years ago when it was derailed.