2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Which young players do you need to see post break to give you confidence for 2025?

For me it's Meadows, Dingler, and Carpenter. I need Dingler to get MLB at-bats and for Meadows/Carpy to be healthy and productive.

Bingo!

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Which young players do you need to see post break to give you confidence for 2025?

For me it's Meadows, Dingler, and Carpenter. I need Dingler to get MLB at-bats and for Meadows/Carpy to be healthy and productive.

With my expectations dramatically lowered, I’d like to see Tork at least show more than the middling number he’s had in Toledo. 

6 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

With my expectations dramatically lowered, I’d like to see Tork at least show more than the middling number he’s had in Toledo. 

Tork needs an offseason to totally reconstruct his swing. He's not part of any plans for me.

Just now, kdog said:

Tork needs an offseason to totally reconstruct his swing. He's not part of any plans for me.

I wonder if I'm the only one that still believes he'll be just fine. He went 1-1 for a reason. I don't think he's a Nick Sinzel....

a .280/.370+/.500+ stat line will do just fine. I could see that still in him. Maybe I'm delusional........

6 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I wonder if I'm the only one that still believes he'll be just fine. He went 1-1 for a reason. I don't think he's a Nick Sinzel....

a .280/.370+/.500+ stat line will do just fine. I could see that still in him. Maybe I'm delusional........

I have no problem with your vision here. But you can't build a team with that in mind. He can't be counted on as a core player for 2025.

Just now, kdog said:

I have no problem with your vision here. But you can't build a team with that in mind. He can't be counted on as a core player for 2025.

Player A
.267/.318/.690

Player B
.201/.266/.596

Player C
.258/.312/.722

Player D
.212/.301/.635

A - Julio Rodriguez
B- Tork
C- Ozzie Albies
D- Corbin Carroll

Bad years happen. Carroll was an MVP candidate before the season started.  It's way too early to give up and say he's not part of the core going forward......

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Will Leitch has obviously not watched the Tigers this month, apparently not even when we were playing the Dodgers, which, really, I'm not surprised. He appears to be getting his input strictly from topline season data. At least he's aware TORK! was sent down, although he clearly has no idea how badly TORK! has been doing there and that he might be down for the rest of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-power-rankings-for-week-of-july-14?partnerId=it-20240718-10493459-mlb-1-A&utm_id=it-20240718-10493459-mlb-1-A&lctg=4019258656

23. Tigers (previously: 24)
Season high: 7 | Season low: 24
The Tigers have had some excellent pitching atop their rotation this year from Tarik Skubal and Jack Flaherty, but the offense just hasn’t been there – again. There are still young players to have hope for in the future. But one hopes those hitters emerge in time for the pitching to still be there.
Reasonable Expectation: Signs of progress from their young bats, including Spencer Torkelson once he returns to the bigs.

you mean he's not overacting to a hot 2 weeks like most tigers are?

1 hour ago, kdog said:

is it his swing, or just the need to get more aggressive in the K zone? Or maybe part two requires some work on part one.

1 hour ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Player A
.267/.318/.690

Player B
.201/.266/.596

Player C
.258/.312/.722

Player D
.212/.301/.635

A - Julio Rodriguez
B- Tork
C- Ozzie Albies
D- Corbin Carroll

Bad years happen. Carroll was an MVP candidate before the season started.  It's way too early to give up and say he's not part of the core going forward......

He needs to earn his way back into the core. Until he does that you can't count him as part of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

is it his swing, or just the need to get more aggressive in the K zone? Or maybe part two requires some work on part one.

Or maybe he needs to take a look at his own motivation (part 3). Clean up his head space and that cleans up his swing by being more aggressive in the K zone?

I do think it's more than just the K zone, IMO.

I absolutely believe he needs an attitude adjustment/ motivation adjustment and that's on him. Whether he is willing to do that or not... we'll see.

6 hours ago, kdog said:

When people on the internet decide he isn't in the plans, he might as well just hang em up

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kdog said:

My worthless guess is that when rosters expand from 26 to 28, they'll take a pitcher and a position player.

I would think a Kelly trade makes a Dingler promotion all but certain.  That's a one for one swap.  But if they don't move one of Kelly/Rogers, I'm not sure I see them rostering a 3rd catcher.

I'm not sure I consider Carpenter a young player that needs to be seen in terms of performance.  He probably still has a little bit of growth yet, but I think he's a MLB player.  Meadows definitely needs some MLB time.  Well, his bat does.  The glove plays, no worries there.  If both do return this season, the roster decision could be interesting.  Do they dump someone like McKinstry/Urshela, demote one of Villade/Malloy?  Probably too early to tell.

On the pitching side....  yikes.  Jobe is the next fun thing, but does he earn a late season promotion?  Or do they just pull up someone already on the 40 (which, meh).

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You don't say.

Context:

Recovery time varies depending on the strain, with Grade 1 strains typically requiring 2-3 weeks and Grade 2 strains usually taking at least a month. Grade 3 strains often require surgery, however, and can come with considerably longer recovery periods.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/injuries/lat-strain

doesnt seem likely we'll see him back up pitching for the Tigers this season.... between him and Tork who's had a worse season

When a young pitcher who is trying to establish himself in the majors—a time when someone is most likely to push through owies so they can keep pitching—takes himself out of the game for shoulder pain, that is usually a bad sign. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

When a young pitcher who is trying to establish himself in the majors—a time when someone is most likely to push through owies so they can keep pitching—takes himself out of the game for shoulder pain, that is usually a bad sign. 

This one stinks.  His emergence after arriving to the organization has been fun.  His quiet demeanor compared to Skubal’s fiery mound presence is a bit of a wrinkle, too.  Hopefully it’s nothing too serious and it’s just a short term issue.

I think a rotation beginning with those two and Mize is a pretty good start.  Montero could work his way in there, too.  Get another SP project for Fetter/Nieves to work with.  Jobe lurking and Gipson-Long recovering in Toledo.  They’ll need to find some younger AAAA arms with possibility yet to stuff in Toledo.  As we’ve seen recently, there’s not ever enough pitching.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, casimir said:

This one stinks.  His emergence after arriving to the organization has been fun.  His quiet demeanor compared to Skubal’s fiery mound presence is a bit of a wrinkle, too.  Hopefully it’s nothing too serious and it’s just a short term issue.

I think a rotation beginning with those two and Mize is a pretty good start.  Montero could work his way in there, too.  Get another SP project for Fetter/Nieves to work with.  Jobe lurking and Gipson-Long recovering in Toledo.  They’ll need to find some younger AAAA arms with possibility yet to stuff in Toledo.  As we’ve seen recently, there’s not ever enough pitching.

This makes Manning and Maedas disastrous years even more frustrating.  With Mize out and now who knows how long Olson will be out, it adds an annoying wrinkle to a Flaherty trade.  If we deal him (or Skubal), we almost have to acquire a ML capable starter as well just for the sake of having ANYONE remotely competent to eat those innings.