2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

On 9/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, IdahoBert said:

I can’t see how making a SP go a certain amount of innings has anything to do with the way this game has ever been played.

The bull pen strategy or whatever you wish to call it is only a direct result of pitchers going on the DL because every pitch can result in a home run and they’re injuring themselves trying to avoid that.   

If they’re going have a rule about pitching a certain number of innings, they should add the 10 run mercy rule and be honest about the Mickey Mouse nature of these changes. Of course, I don’t know what their series of ifs, ands, or buts are that will adjudicate all these possible complications.

If they’re going to do anything, they should deaden the ball so pitchers are not throwing their arms out of whack and getting TJ surgery for fear of giving up a plethora of long balls.  

Hey, don’t kill the messenger.  I don’t think it’s something that should be legislated. If a team wants 15 pitchers on a roster and send them all out one inning at a time, it’s going to affect their position players somehow (lack of rest, inability to platoon, pinch hit, etc), but that’s their call.

On 9/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, IdahoBert said:

I can’t see how making a SP go a certain amount of innings has anything to do with the way this game has ever been played.

The bull pen strategy or whatever you wish to call it is only a direct result of pitchers going on the DL because every pitch can result in a home run and they’re injuring themselves trying to avoid that.   

If they’re going have a rule about pitching a certain number of innings, they should add the 10 run mercy rule and be honest about the Mickey Mouse nature of these changes. Of course, I don’t know what their series of ifs, ands, or buts are that will adjudicate all these possible complications.

If they’re going to do anything, they should deaden the ball so pitchers are not throwing their arms out of whack and getting TJ surgery for fear of giving up a plethora of long balls.  

That really is a very stupid idea. I saw that being discussed earlier in the season. There's enough pitchers being injured without mandatory innings or pitches. Some of these pitchers are making a million dollars per start, they need to be protected.

I’m calling it now:  Skubal is sick of struggling with the Royals and is going to go into his start this series and pitch a shutout with double digit Ks while boastfully screaming after each one.  

Meanwhile we only win 1-0 off of a McKinstry double and advance to third on a throwing error and a Jake Rogers RBI ground out out to second.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I’m calling it now:  Skubal is sick of struggling with the Royals and is going to go into his start this series and pitch a shutout with double digit Ks while boastfully screaming after each one.  

Meanwhile we only win 1-0 off of a McKinstry double and advance to third on a throwing error and a Jake Rogers RBI ground out out to second.

Wow! You nailed it. That is realistic and prescient. Only someone who has been around the block with this team a lot could put that together so succinctly. You have earned your stripes today.