2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

On 9/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, IdahoBert said:

I can’t see how making a SP go a certain amount of innings has anything to do with the way this game has ever been played.

The bull pen strategy or whatever you wish to call it is only a direct result of pitchers going on the DL because every pitch can result in a home run and they’re injuring themselves trying to avoid that.   

If they’re going have a rule about pitching a certain number of innings, they should add the 10 run mercy rule and be honest about the Mickey Mouse nature of these changes. Of course, I don’t know what their series of ifs, ands, or buts are that will adjudicate all these possible complications.

If they’re going to do anything, they should deaden the ball so pitchers are not throwing their arms out of whack and getting TJ surgery for fear of giving up a plethora of long balls.  

Hey, don’t kill the messenger.  I don’t think it’s something that should be legislated. If a team wants 15 pitchers on a roster and send them all out one inning at a time, it’s going to affect their position players somehow (lack of rest, inability to platoon, pinch hit, etc), but that’s their call.

On 9/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, IdahoBert said:

I can’t see how making a SP go a certain amount of innings has anything to do with the way this game has ever been played.

The bull pen strategy or whatever you wish to call it is only a direct result of pitchers going on the DL because every pitch can result in a home run and they’re injuring themselves trying to avoid that.   

If they’re going have a rule about pitching a certain number of innings, they should add the 10 run mercy rule and be honest about the Mickey Mouse nature of these changes. Of course, I don’t know what their series of ifs, ands, or buts are that will adjudicate all these possible complications.

If they’re going to do anything, they should deaden the ball so pitchers are not throwing their arms out of whack and getting TJ surgery for fear of giving up a plethora of long balls.  

That really is a very stupid idea. I saw that being discussed earlier in the season. There's enough pitchers being injured without mandatory innings or pitches. Some of these pitchers are making a million dollars per start, they need to be protected.

I’m calling it now:  Skubal is sick of struggling with the Royals and is going to go into his start this series and pitch a shutout with double digit Ks while boastfully screaming after each one.  

Meanwhile we only win 1-0 off of a McKinstry double and advance to third on a throwing error and a Jake Rogers RBI ground out out to second.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I’m calling it now:  Skubal is sick of struggling with the Royals and is going to go into his start this series and pitch a shutout with double digit Ks while boastfully screaming after each one.  

Meanwhile we only win 1-0 off of a McKinstry double and advance to third on a throwing error and a Jake Rogers RBI ground out out to second.

Wow! You nailed it. That is realistic and prescient. Only someone who has been around the block with this team a lot could put that together so succinctly. You have earned your stripes today. 

I have a hypothetical question. Feel free to explain it to me as if I were a child.

Let’s just say we’d had a really bad shortstop who played every game this season with only a -1.1 WAR, and through magic we were able to replace him with, say, Alan Trammell with a +6.0 WAR who likewise played every game in Ripkenesque fashion. 

I am assuming it’s more complicated than just replacing Trammell’s figures for the profoundly subpar player and coming up with a +4.9 WAR.

But what would it look like? How much better would the team be?

39 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I have a hypothetical question. Feel free to explain it to me as if I were a child.

Let’s just say we’d had a really bad shortstop who played every game this season with only a -1.1 WAR, and through magic we were able to replace him with, say, Alan Trammell with a +6.0 WAR who likewise played every game in Ripkenesque fashion. 

I am assuming it’s more complicated than just replacing Trammell’s figures for the profoundly subpar player and coming up with a +4.9 WAR.

But what would it look like? How much better would the team be?

It would be roughly 5 more wins but it's not exact because of the randomness in baseball. That's what WAR is trying to estimate though, wins above replacement. A replacement level team would be expected to win 48 games so usually you need your players to total 40 to 50 WAR to get into the playoffs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, papalawrence said:

It's crazy that Det is now just 4.5 games behind Baltimore. 

After being 15 games behind Baltimore after games of August 10, just 5.5 weeks ago! In that period the Tigers also have been:

- 11.0 games better than the Red Sox

- 10.5 games better than the Twins

- 9.5 games better than the Mariners

- 9.5 games better than the Rays

- 8.0 games better than the Royals

- 7.0 games better than the Jays

- 7.0 games better than the Rangers
- 5.5 games better than the Guardians

- 5.5 games better than the Astros
- 4.5 games better than the Yankees

IMG_3870.jpeg

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

that is the look of a team that does not know and does not care, that they should not be doing what they are doing

there is no logical explanation that this team would lose Flaherty, Chafin, Kelly, Cahna, Urshela and Beaz, and then go on this run

In a way they appear to be playing less “self-consciously“ in the most ordinary sense of that term of not tripping over your own feet. They are taking all of the coaching and instruction they’ve had and just allowing it to be expressed on the field and it seems to be working  

Hinch keeps emphasizing how they get these young players to “buy into the system“ at all levels. What we are seeing is that when they get to this level and it actually works, they have become devotees of a system that is working and it’s a part of their collective muscle memory. Our club appears to be developing a sort of Tigers Way.

59 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m on Team Dirks.  Indifferent about Bennetti, though he’s an upgrade over Shep.  Would prefer to have Mario back.

I don’t like not being guaranteed having Dan when turning on the radio feed, which is how I follow 80% of the games. 

The problem I had with Mario Impemba was his inability to provide any actual baseball insights during the broadcast.

Everything Mario said about the actual game in progress was either a basic description of the pitch or play that just happened; a reciting of the batting or pitching line the player had achieved during the game to that point; or a snippet from the media notes about the team or the player in question. Practically everything else Mario said during the broadcast was either a live read promotion, a throw to the field or studio announcers, or a forced attempt at banter.

I didn't fault Mario for the live reads or throws or even the attempted banter, but the bare bones description-only nature of his game commentary was where he really lacked. Mario apparently neither talked to the players, as Jim Price or Rod Allen did, nor dug into the numbers, like Dan does, which leaves only a dry recitation of what he saw in front of him or read from his notes.

Mario was a perfectly competent announcer, technically, but I got no sense that he was at all engaged with the game going on in front of him.

Edited by chasfh