2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

55 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think it’s going to be really interesting if the Tigers are borderline wild card eligible at the trade deadline. Let’s say they win 5 of 7 games approaching the deadline, showing a little momentum.  Let’s assume that Flaherty is the same guy he’s been to date, health intact. 
Does Harris trade him?

Only if he gets a good ML player in return.  

• Like 1

Harris needs to do something with Flaherty. Harris cannot 2 years in a row get nothing for one of the biggest pitchers on the trade block. 

Avila got robbed over and over and over again, but showed he had the guts to be wrong (and proved that to all repeatedly). Harris? We shall see.

I think the plan was always trade flaherty before the deadline.  They aren't serious about putting a winner out there.

And they won't get a lot for their catchers.  Rogers and Kelly are run of the mill guys.  

3 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I think the plan was always trade flaherty before the deadline.  They aren't serious about putting a winner out there.

And they won't get a lot for their catchers.  Rogers and Kelly are run of the mill guys.  

Yeah maybe not a crazy amount but the Cubs and the Padres have a -1.2 WAR from the C position I am sure they would like to have a run-of-the-mill catcher right now. 

9 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Yeah maybe not a crazy amount but the Cubs and the Padres have a -1.2 WAR from the C position I am sure they would like to have a run-of-the-mill catcher right now. 

bingo. either Kelly or Rogers would be huge upgrade for either team

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Harris needs to do something with Flaherty. Harris cannot 2 years in a row get nothing for one of the biggest pitchers on the trade block. 

Avila got robbed over and over and over again, but showed he had the guts to be wrong (and proved that to all repeatedly). Harris? We shall see.

Flaherty can get a QO, so worst case scenario is we get a comp pick for him.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Flaherty can get a QO, so worst case scenario is we get a comp pick for him

ture, but actual worst case would be holding onto him, he tweaks something in September, Harris decides it is too risky to make QO, and he gets jack zero for him

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

bingo. either Kelly or Rogers would be huge upgrade for either team

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

You guys overestimate these guys.  They have been hitting the last week or so but they were pathetic up until then.  

22 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Ummmm...

I see no reason to sell when you have a 20-23% chance of the playoffs depending on which model you look at.

With a loyal fan base that hasn't experienced it in several years.

I think the standards are pretty low in assessing catchers these days.  20 years ago, a sub-.220 BA would almost assure a career as a backup.  Now, that, combined with good defense and some pop, makes you a coveted starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Ummmm...

I see no reason to sell when you have a 20-23% chance of the playoffs depending on which model you look at.

Who would pitch? Aren't most of the starters going to be on innings limits at some point?

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Ummmm...

Just 2 1/2 behind the Twins in the wild card race and the next team ahead of them  (the Royals) are starting to sink.  

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I think you underestimate the state of catchers in the league. 

You would think wrong.  But there aren't  any teams that are going to trade anything of greater value for those guys than what the Tigers are getting from them being on the roster 

3 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Who would pitch? Aren't most of the starters going to be on innings limits at some point?

Honestly, f innings limits. I am not convinced they are empirically based. Flags fly forever.

This will not be a popular opinion, but....

Joey Wentz is the current BP whipping boy.   Go ahead and compare his season numerals to Andrew Chafin who has been just about as "effective".

Chafin: 20 IP, 1.800 WHIP, 11.3 H9, 5.0 BB9, 10.8 SO9.

Wentz: 25 2/3 IP, 1.753 WHIP, 11.2 H9, 4.6 BB9, 10.5 SO9.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Joey Wentz is the current BP whipping boy.   Go ahead and compare his season numerals to Andrew Chafin who has been just about as "effective".

the difference is that Chafin has been Chafin pretty much all along, whereas Wentz started out as Cy Young and has turned into a Pumpkin. He's given up 22 base runners in his last 9.2 IP. ERA was 0.68 on 5/8, has been 13.03 since. So his season averages obscure that he he has pretty much totally lost it recently.

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the difference is that Chafin has been Chafin pretty much all along, whereas Wentz started out as Cy Young and has turned into a Pumpkin. He's given up 22 base runners in his last 9.2 IP. ERA was 0.68 on 5/8, has been 13.03 since. So his season averages obscure that he he has pretty much totally lost it recently.

That's all well and good.  Neither is an effective option right now.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, casimir said:

They can’t continue to let him pitch in the major leagues with these numbers.   They need to send him down to work on his stuff and figure things out.  The only positive about this tailspin is that nobody will claim him now when he hits waivers.   

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They can’t continue to let him pitch in the major leagues with these numbers.   They need to send him down to work on his stuff and figure things out.  The only positive about this tailspin is that nobody will claim him now when he hits waivers.   

They should move on from both.  But I'm not sure who replaces them.

Can Brandon Belt pitch?

Edited by casimir