2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Hinch's interview on 971 earlier in the week...he indicated that there are not many young hitters who are succeeding in their first mlb year. I didn't have a chance to look at evidence. But it makes sense given the spin and velocity difference between MLB and AAA. 

So, we can wait three years for their core to be promoted and watch them not hit for another year.  That brings us out to at least 2027.  

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Funny thing is my family outside of Michigan say that he deff talks with a Michigan accent. Michigan folks have don't even realize they have an accent

I grew up in Michigan, left for the Army after HS, went to college after the Army in Boca Raton, FLA and lived 19 years in S Florida and 20 in New Jersey after that, as of this year...

It amazes me that people look at me after talking to them for a few minutes (after just meeting them, no matter south FL or Jersey) and they say: "Oh, you're from Michigan, aren't you?"

WTF?

I have an accent?

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

So, we can wait three years for their core to be promoted and watch them not hit for another year.  That brings us out to at least 2027.  

I'm looking at 2031 as the first year of our core.

I am aware of a Northern Minnesota accent, but not a “Michigan accent.“ I grew up in Northeastern Indiana, and I’ve never noticed that anybody from Michigan speaks in a way that made me notice a difference from what I take to be standard Midwestern speak. 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I am aware of a Northern Minnesota accent, but not a “Michigan accent.“ I grew up in Northeastern Indiana, and I’ve never noticed that anybody from Michigan speaks in a way that made me notice a difference from what I take to be standard Midwestern speak. 

people from the east coast - can, or at least used to, differentiate different types of short vowels (schwa?), that we tend to merge so I think east coasters can identify Michiganders and maybe other midwesterners that way.  I had a college friend from Philly, pronounced: Merry, Marry, Mary in three distinct ways. I think locally you would seldom  hear any difference between the three.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

people from the east coast - can, or at least used to, differentiate different types of short vowels (schwa?), that we tend to merge so I think east coasters can identify Michiganders and maybe other midwesterners that way.  I had a college friend from Philly, pronounced: Merry, Marry, Mary in three distinct ways. I think locally you would seldom  hear any difference between the three.

Anyone who pronounces “Merry, Marry, and Mary” differently probably pronounces “banana” as “bah-NAH-ah,” and wears a bow tie and a corduroy jacket with patches on the elbows. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

I think the idea that Scott Harris is avoiding making trades for All-Stars right now, and is not signing All-Stars to long and expensive free agent contracts right now, because he is somehow afraid to do the job, or even that he has nefarious intent to undermine the organization, is asinine on its face and not at all worth entertaining. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I think the idea that Scott Harris is avoiding making trades for All-Stars right now, and is not signing All-Stars to long and expensive free agent contracts right now, because he is somehow afraid to do the job, or even that he has nefarious intent to undermine the organization, is asinine on its face and not at all worth entertaining. 

But think of all the free all stars that are just sitting out there for the taking.

Edited by TigerNation
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Especially when in the previous page people wondered why the org signed Colt Keith.  So is Chris Ilitch afraid to spend money and “Scotty boy” as some on twitter call him afraid to make bold moves or not?  Because I can’t keep up with the narratives that just come out of peoples butts. 

51 minutes ago, oblong said:

Especially when in the previous page people wondered why the org signed Colt Keith.  So is Chris Ilitch afraid to spend money and “Scotty boy” as some on twitter call him afraid to make bold moves or not?  Because I can’t keep up with the narratives that just come out of peoples butts. 

I did and still do question the Keith extension to an extent.  A few more 4 for 6s and I’ll stop questioning.

But there just wasn’t a whole lot for the Tigers to throw cash at this off-season.  Chapman was the bat to go after, but there was risk there.

53 minutes ago, casimir said:

I did and still do question the Keith extension to an extent.  A few more 4 for 6s and I’ll stop questioning.

But there just wasn’t a whole lot for the Tigers to throw cash at this off-season.  Chapman was the bat to go after, but there was risk there.

It’s fine to question it. But some act like Chris Ilitch doesn’t want to spend money and Scott Harris is timid.  I’m not saying you think that but to those who do I offer up Colt Keith. 

Chris Ilitch has already spent money on large contracts so there’s no questioning that. The Keith contract was minimal risk, not something I would do, and not indicative of an aggressive GM. Measured moves are good. We still have not seen enough of Harris to really know his style but this trade deadline , draft and next off season will be telling and I do hope for a higher sense of urgency. I remain confident in his abilities. 

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

somehow they are 13th in runs scored, while 21st in AVG, 25th in OBP, 17th in SLUG, and 19th in OPS

maybe they are "clutch" or maybe it's the occasional explosion skewing the numbers

Or maybe they have simply improved versus last year.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I guess i dont see rate stats not making sense having anything to do with last year

The offense is doing better than they did last year. RatkoVarda hypothesizes that it’s due to clutch or outsized performances papering over the numbers. I’m hypothesizing that our offense is simply better this year.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The offense is doing better than they did last year. RatkoVarda hypothesizes that it’s due to clutch or outsized performances papering over the numbers. I’m hypothesizing that our offense is simply better this year.

I guess I see it as him questioning why the run scored is 13th and the under lying stats dont support a number that high

I belive the 6 times that scored 10+ runs in a game has skewed the number of runs

Edited by Toddwert

I think the answer is both.  They have improved offensively this year, but they are not the 13th best team offensively. Their OPS and other rate stats don't show that, but they have somehow upped their run total by bunching their hits together.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think the answer is both.  They have improved offensively this year, but they are not the 13th best team offensively. Their OPS and other rate stats don't show that, but they have somehow upped their run total by bunching their hits together.  

Here's another theory - they are above average at hitting below average pitching. Thus you get feast or famine. Beat up on guys who throw too many cookies, struggle to hit against even moderately good command when they have to adjust to hitting pitches where they are thrown. Since run scoring is an asymmetric distribution, you get more boost to your average on the high end than you can lose on the low end (since you can't score less than zero).

Edited by gehringer_2