2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

73 games played so far (not including the current game)... 7 times they've been shut out. Looking very much like it might be 8 after today. 12 times they only scored 1 run.

A "Quality Start" is the starting pitcher going at least 6 innings and giving up 3 runs or less. Well, in 73 games our boys have scored 3 runs or less in innings 33 times. 45% of the time if the starting pitcher just got through the 6th inning it was an automatic quality start and probably many of the other 55% of games were also "quality start"-worthy with us only edging above 3 runs in the later innings.

Any excitement I had for the team in spring is just completely gone at this point. I wasn't expecting a WS contending team, but I was hoping for at least a step forward. This year the offense is as bad as ever and the young hitters that we hoped would mature (Tork and Greene) haven't. 

I'm not saying "blow it up" yet, but I'm dang close to it. At this point I wouldn't really be opposed to trading Skubal because I don't think we'll be seriously contending again until here's on the down slope of his career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

73 games played so far (not including the current game)... 7 times they've been shut out. Looking very much like it might be 8 after today. 12 times they only scored 1 run.

A "Quality Start" is the starting pitcher going at least 6 innings and giving up 3 runs or less. Well, in 73 games our boys have scored 3 runs or less in innings 33 times. 45% of the time if the starting pitcher just got through the 6th inning it was an automatic quality start and probably many of the other 55% of games were also "quality start"-worthy with us only edging above 3 runs in the later innings.

Any excitement I had for the team in spring is just completely gone at this point. I wasn't expecting a WS contending team, but I was hoping for at least a step forward. This year the offense is as bad as ever and the young hitters that we hoped would mature (Tork and Greene) haven't. 

I'm not saying "blow it up" yet, but I'm dang close to it. At this point I wouldn't really be opposed to trading Skubal because I don't think we'll be seriously contending again until here's on the down slope of his career.

You are disappointed with Greene? A 23-year old posting a 135 OPS+? Tough critic. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

This is the problem with putting out a steaming pile of dog crap on a nightly basis.  Fans just tend to lose interest.  I know growing up, the team was always so bad, I just didn't care.

Even people who are fans are starting not to care.  I don't think Ilitch cares because he is making money off TV contracts, and all the financial breaks he gets from owning the team.  It's short sighted thinking but it is what it is. 

I really think they have a great shot of losing 90+ games.  They would need to go 38-50.  38 wins sounds very tough with the garbage hitters. All it takes is Skubal losing his confidence, maybe Greene getting injured and Flaherty traded.  Face it, if the pitching isn't lights out, this is an easy 100 loss team.

52 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

You are disappointed with Greene? A 23-year old posting a 135 OPS+? Tough critic. 

I'll confess that I haven't looked at this stats lately... I just assumed because the Tigers were stinking he wasn't doing so hot either. If he's really has a 135+ that's not bad at all and I withdraw my condemnation of Greene.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

..I'm not saying "blow it up" yet, but I'm dang close to it. At this point I wouldn't really be opposed to trading Skubal because I don't think we'll be seriously contending again until here's on the down slope of his career.

Do not have to 'blow it up' per say. Heck, KC lost what 106 last year, there GM made some moves. They also developed players and have some who decided 'they can' and they play ball. Maybe 'something' is not quite right here?

Trading Skubal? I am not sure SHarris would entertain that (BTW, I do not think they should) simply because if he messed that up, and I will be 'somewhat sarcastic' for no doubt muddling middle INFs who are versatile and 'control the zone' - he might be run out of town - and he knows it.

This FO has to get serious about acquiring some players via trades. They have to move a few prospects of their own (no not the Top 5) and sweeten some pots to get some players they can identify as potential future good players (not 5 years from now and of course Iwe understand there are no guarantees) ex AAA guys who are currently blocked and/or good players on contracts that a team may be willing to move on from. (BTW the player(s) do not have to be 23 or younger either). A good FO can do this - can SHarris and JGreenberg (the whole FO, analytics, scouting, etc.) do this?

I said it before and will again and no doubt again. We here all know this:

A good FO is always looking to acquire talent. Not 'wait for a core' (that is playing kick the can, develop some of your young talent) then magically all FAs for position of need show up and want to sign with Detroit - that is fantasy.

Player acquisition can happen at anytime and often when least expected. As I have said and asked, SHarris is smart but - does he / this FO have the ability to ID players and the 'knack' to negotiate Trades? If not then a total build through the draft is not realistic (yet, I agree it is the best way to get MOST of a team together).

If they cannot, and if that is the case, ID players and acquire a few, then we will be waiting for 'another core' years from now and the next regime - who takes it over. We the fans will be playing 'the blame game' again (only towards this group).

Two other factors: there is also some 'luck involved - but good preparation and scouting can help acquire the right players and of course 'health for the group assembled. Here is where depth is so important.

There IS hope. Let's acquire 1-2 players before the off season even begins. Let's develop some of the talent we do have. And perhaps stop acquiring sooo many middle versatile INFs who 'control the zone' 😉

Go Tigs!

2 minutes ago, alex said:

Let's develop some of the talent we do have.

I guess this is where I'm most concerned. Can we actually develop that talent? On the pitching side, sure... lots of success there. On the hitting side? We have Riley Greene and .... ??? Now, maybe Keith and Clark and Jung and even JHM will prove me wrong. I certainly hope so!

16 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I just don't see this front office finding someone even half as good as JD Martinez from the scrap heap.  Their talent awareness is on the low end.

Good question - would they even look at JD (as he was) or BRooker now or make a deal for an ETovar or LO'Hoppe?

They have to think outside the box sometimes. The 'control the zone' mentality. This approach does NOT work for all players and some of them are talented. Maybe they do swing early in the count if middle/middle. Some can identify 'good' pitches and simply swing and miss a bit and do not walk with the ratio they are always seeking.

If that is 'always' the case - then they are hamstringing their own selves and are not giving themselves a chance to acquire potentially good players.

19 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I guess this is where I'm most concerned. Can we actually develop that talent? On the pitching side, sure... lots of success there. On the hitting side? We have Riley Greene and .... ??? Now, maybe Keith and Clark and Jung and even JHM will prove me wrong. I certainly hope so!

They have to.

They have to develop some of these players. It cannot all be on the players. WCastro and JCandalerio have improved outside of our organization. Yet, I do get it - it is time to move on from 'some' (ala JJones, HCastro, VReyes, etc.).

However, this regime has to develop some hitters. We have some actual talent here. Not just being a 'homer' as other groups have felt PMeadows, Tork, Keith, Jung, etc. are possibles - it takes time though. We need to come up with a few more outside Greene and Carp per say. As I have mentioned 1-2 times now - a good trade or two might help.

A 3-9 record over the last dozen dropping them from 31-31 to 34-40.  They've been passed over in the wild card and sit behind Boston, Toronto, and Tampa who sit behind Kansas City for the last wild card.  Oh, and Houston and Texas are a sneeze behind the Tigers.

They host the White Sox and Phillies for 3 each.  A 4 bagger on the road against the Angels, and we all know well how the Tigers perform in LA.  After that, 3 game visits to the Twins and Reds.  Follow that up with 4 games hosting the Guardians and 3 games hosting the Dodgers before the all star break.

A 6-6 would have left them behind only Boston (behind Kansas City) and 4 games out of the wild card.  But this, this 3-9 that buries them behind more teams and 7 out of the last playoff spot...  Pretty demoralizing two weeks.

They've got 23 games before the mid season classic.  They'll need to go 15-8 in order to be above .500 at the break.  That's basically 2 of 3 from here on out.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

A 3-9 record over the last dozen dropping them from 31-31 to 34-40.  They've been passed over in the wild card and sit behind Boston, Toronto, and Tampa who sit behind Kansas City for the last wild card.  Oh, and Houston and Texas are a sneeze behind the Tigers.

They host the White Sox and Phillies for 3 each.  A 4 bagger on the road against the Angels, and we all know well how the Tigers perform in LA.  After that, 3 game visits to the Twins and Reds.  Follow that up with 4 games hosting the Guardians and 3 games hosting the Dodgers before the all star break.

A 6-6 would have left them behind only Boston (behind Kansas City) and 4 games out of the wild card.  But this, this 3-9 that buries them behind more teams and 7 out of the last playoff spot...  Pretty demoralizing two weeks.

They've got 23 games before the mid season classic.  They'll need to go 15-8 in order to be above .500 at the break.  That's basically 2 of 3 from here on out.

Had a feeling the wheels would come off after the Carpenter injury. Didn’t expect to score only 3 runs in 5 games on this road trip, but not surprising an inconsistent offense takes a bigger dip when one of its two best hitters goes down. Still think they will end up a .500 club, unless they dump Flaherty and/or Skubal and additional injuries hit. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Twins definitely unlocked something for Willie as a LHB. He's added >200 pts to his LHB OPS with the Twins.

They play him in positions that he can play and let him hack ? Allow the athlete to emerge and relax his mind from thinking about controlling the zone or playing a position that he can not and therefore stresses over ?

I've all but checked out on this season. I suppose a miracle win streak could reel me back in, but this team is no fun to watch even when they win a laugher, because you know it doesn't mean anything other than a crap team having an odd good day. I want them to extend Skubal before next season, cut Baez and try to trade for some proven MLB bats, because this ish is depressing.

I would think a team would have to have a more than 50% chance of making the playoffs before they seriously consider selling off the top of the system to make the playoffs. I don’t think 12% or 7% is gonna cut it.