2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

The flipside on Keith that I would ask:

He's playing 2nd because of last year's surgery on his shoulder IIRC. 

Does his shoulder get back to full strength as more time passes from the surgery? Can he make the throws from 3B by now? Is there a chance that he goes back to 3B? I believe if his arm/shoulder warrants... he's more valuable at 3B than at 1B.

Just my 2 cents.

I remember the theory of Keith and his arm and 3B from before.  I've always had that in back of my head.  Sure would be nice for to happen and for his bat to perk up, for Jung to grab 2B offensively and defensively, and for Torkelson to recapture his 30 HR form.

Now, to go find that easy button....

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

he gets you the most haul now, he's a pitcher with an injury history who could get hurt at any time and lose that value, and he's going to be even more valuable on his cheap contract.

he might be the most valuable chip on the market if you move him now...

The only thing I would say pertaining to this is that he would need to be moved in the offseason...

Not at the trade deadline if that's what you mean by "now".

Then, every team in the league will bid on him and the prices are usually higher in the offseason than at the deadline. Or at least I believe that's the prevailing theory...

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I am shocked that you of all people brought this up but I’ve been hypothesizing this since at least last season.

If you're seeing the same thing that I'm seeing...

Not really so shocking, right?

I haven't seen him much...

But man, I just don't see someone dedicated to this game or dedicated to being the best player he could be...

Just my opinion, but...

It appears I am not the only one seeing this...?

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

... would be nice for to happen and for his bat to perk up, for Jung to grab 2B offensively and defensively, and for Torkelson to recapture his 30 HR form.

Easy-button-copy-1024x1024.jpg

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

he gets you the most haul now, he's a pitcher with an injury history who could get hurt at any time and lose that value, and he's going to be even more valuable on his cheap contract.

he might be the most valuable chip on the market if you move him now.

otoh, he could be johan santana...

All correct, but if the Tigers trade Skubal this year, it would be saying a lot to fans, mainly, that winning soon is nowhere on the docket. And it might not be anyway, but management wants to be really careful about what their actions say.

The only way he could get away with it is to get a current big league stick that has All-Star potential if not at actual All-Star level. They can’t just liquidate him for the 2024 equivalent of Jake Rogers and whoever that pitcher was.

52 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I am shocked that you of all people brought this up but I’ve been hypothesizing this since at least last season.

My take as well with one minor tweak. I don’t believe he’s actually grasped how bad he’s really been. I believe he was very over confident in his ability to maintain his HR numbers last year. My impression was that he thought he had it all figured out…but didn’t. That’s why, of my two preseason Bold Predictions, his regression was an easy one.
I would think having a residence in Toledo opened his eyes. 

21 minutes ago, 1776 said:

My take as well with one minor tweak. I don’t believe he’s actually grasped how bad he’s really been. I believe he was very over confident in his ability to maintain his HR numbers last year. My impression was that he thought he had it all figured out…but didn’t. That’s why, of my two preseason Bold Predictions, his regression was an easy one.
I would think having a residence in Toledo opened his eyes. 

Maybe … maybe not. I am willing to give some credence to G2’s theory about swinging and missing at pitches he would have taken before as a sign he’s working on stuff, for at least a little while. But it would not shock me to learn that once he got picked 1/1 and cashed an $8 million check, he thought he wouldn’t have to listen to any coaching anymore. I’m not I saying I definitely think this happened, only that it wouldn’t shock me to learn that it had.

47 minutes ago, kdog said:

holy crap...he melted down:

yeah - I don't know if it would be completely accurate to say that Fenech got bounced because of critical reporting about the team per se, it seems it was more the interpersonal stuff and in general being an asshat to other people. I remember one spring training where he was trying to sneak around the fences and shoot video from his iphone when the team had closed the fields to recording. Juvenile stuff. If you take an interview where the question of being on the record was pretty much a last minute decision and the interview changes his mind within a couple hours and you stiff him, you may be within your rights but you aren't going to win many friends or hold anyone's trust.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I remember the theory of Keith and his arm and 3B from before.  I've always had that in back of my head.  Sure would be nice for to happen and for his bat to perk up, for Jung to grab 2B offensively and defensively, and for Torkelson to recapture his 30 HR form.

Tigers will move a guy like McKinstry who isn't all that good anywhere all over the field, but I bet that having moved him, Keith won't get a shot at 3rd again even if his arm does get stronger.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe … maybe not. I am willing to give some credence to G2’s theory about swinging and missing at pitches he would have taken before as a sign he’s working on stuff, for at least a little while. But it would not shock me to learn that once he got picked 1/1 and cashed an $8 million check, he thought he wouldn’t have to listen to any coaching anymore. I’m not I saying I definitely think this happened, only that it wouldn’t shock me to learn that it had.

Does that also apply to a 26 million guaranteed deal 🤔

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe the worst thing that could have happened to Tork was to come up with Detroit at a time when they were desperate for the long ball, because he should have spent his time learning to be a better hitter, instead of spending all his effort trying to drive the ball into the seats. My guess is that the last 2 years actually set him back as a hitter, because now pitchers have figured out to just pitch him away and he had become stuck in a mode where he couldn't cope instead of having spent that time learning to actually "command" the zone.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Colt’s  hanging in there so far. In this years environment a 230 BA and a reasonable K rate isn’t so bad for a rookie’s 1st couple hundred AB. I’m not going to sweat low power production at this point. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

No, but you have to admit, it does look like a curious deal so far.

You mean a rookie struggling three months into an eight-year deal? Sure, I guess. 

• Thanks 1

The Keith deal is a good risk with little downside.  I am surprised he agreed to it.  He has been awful so far.  I know his statcast numbers are not bad, but they aren't good either.  Succeeding in the The Majors is realy hard though and it seems to be getting harder for young hitters, not just Tigers hitters.  You really can't make any conclusions at this point.      

44 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You mean a rookie struggling three months into an eight-year deal? Sure, I guess. 

I think the point is, he got an eight year deal while having zero ML experience is somewhat surprising. That he is struggling right now is not surprising at all. 

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Colt’s  hanging in there so far. In this years environment a 230 BA and a reasonable K rate isn’t so bad for a rookie’s 1st couple hundred AB. I’m not going to sweat low power production at this point. 

His SO rate is better than league average, I do like that.  But his BB rate and his H rate are below league average as well.

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, you’ve got to at least admit seeing a rookie on an eight year deal is curious.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Do you think Colt Keith is done done already?

Absolutely not. Just need to change positions to maximize return or accept sub par play at second base diminishing his return. Of course he will improve some but do you want to build your infield knowing your not maximizing double plays and giving away outs ?  I do think his bat will improve quite a bit though some will say not enough for first base. For me I won’t sacrifice defense because your diminishing your entire pitching staff. 

I am ok with an above average first baseman who runs well and has medium power. It’s above replacement by a couple ticks. Two war. I’ll take it.