2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, I admit it’s not something you see very often. 

It's not really that "curious" though, not in a negative way.  If he is good, then he'll be an absolute steal.  If he's not, then they lose but not that much.  The deal has a lot more upside than downside for the Tigers.  I think it's the kind of thing that a mid-market team needs to do if it wants to be able to keep good players for a long time.   

For Keith, he'll will be set for life even if he fails.  If he is good, he'll lose a lot of money,but he'll still be young enough where he can sign a good free agent deal later.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It's not really that "curious" though, not in a negative way.  If he is good, then he'll be an absolute steal.  If he's not, then they lose but not that much.  The deal has a lot more upside than downside for the Tigers.  I think it's the kind of thing that a mid-market team needs to do if it wants to be able to keep good players for a long time.   

For Keith, he'll will be set for life even if he fails.  If he is good, he'll lose a lot of money,but he'll still be young enough where he can sign a good free agent deal later.  

Yeah, I was fine with the deal when it happened and I still am. It’s low risk for an amount of money that’s not going to cripple us if it goes upside down, like, for instance, 8/248.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I wish him the best (unless he did something bad to someone), but I hope that this spells the end of Monroe in the booth. I liked him on pregame and around the ballpark during the game (prior to him being over promoted into PxP on Bally), but found him very hard to take as an analyst during tv broadcasts. He just wore me out (for several reasons). 

At any rate, that’s just my opinion and we’ll see what happens, but the “Any further questions should be directed to Craig” line makes me feel as though his time with Bally (and the Tigers) may be coming to a close. 

Edited by TheWordIsBird

Regarding Keith’s contract.  Look at it from the other side of the table.  How many players of his rank coming up would take a similar deal?  Is he unique in taking it?  Is this something other teams would love to do more of with certain prospects?

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

What a weird thing to say. Hopefully things are ok. I know they can’t speak to certain personal matters but it was an odd choice of words. 

I can see it just meaning "We are respecting Monroe's prerogative to say as much or little as he wants to" but yeah - oddly put. The IT  age has meant that everything gets written quickly with little review, so having a 2nd person (like a secretary that types it out) review stuff for unrecognized tone issues is pretty much a thing of the past.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This could be our infield in a few years:

1B Keith

2B Lee

SS McGonigle 

3B Jung

It could also be

1B Bouchard

2B Albies

3B Navigato

SS Wetherholt

for a game or two.

A couple of years ago would you have guessed there would have been a game this year where the starting infield was

1B Torkelson

2B Keith

3B Vilade

SS McKinstry

Edited by Edman85

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

Regarding Keith’s contract.  Look at it from the other side of the table.  How many players of his rank coming up would take a similar deal?  Is he unique in taking it?  Is this something other teams would love to do more of with certain prospects?

Ones with small fry agents who want to cash in before they bolt for Boras/CAA.

Am I reaching here, or is it possible that Kieth is having some lingering shoulder issues that could be impacting his performance? From personal experience, shoulder injuries don't always stay quiet.

Edited by HeyAbbott

10 hours ago, TheWordIsBird said:

I wish him the best (unless he did something bad to someone), but I hope that this spells the end of Monroe in the booth. I liked him on pregame and around the ballpark during the game (prior to him being over promoted into PxP on Bally), but found him very hard to take as an analyst during tv broadcasts. He just wore me out (for several reasons). 

At any rate, that’s just my opinion and we’ll see what happens, but the “Any further questions should be directed to Craig” line makes me feel as though his time with Bally (and the Tigers) may be coming to a close. 

The team doesn’t want to keep fielding questions about him, although he wasn’t a particularly high-profile part of the team.

I did post way back in March that I thought Craig was big-timing Benetti in the booth that first broadcast, stepping all over Benetti and hogging the mike and using what I thought was an alpha-jock-talking-to-nerd tone, and I do wonder whether that had any lingering effect on their working relationship.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, buddha said:

he's 230 at bats into his major league career, give him some time.

To be clear, I'm not calling him a bust.  He definitely should get a longer look.  Those minor league numbers suggest he should.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I thought Craig was big-timing Benetti

And for whatever reason, the two of them were spending a lot more time in non-game personal banter and camera in the booth stuff (toys/fgifts/food etc)  than any of the other pairings, almost all of which could be deep-sixed IMHO. Maybe they were learning to get along, maybe it was forced --- don't care - don't need it.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I just wonder if it puts a lot of unnneeded pressure on someone who has never played in Major's 

There's very few first year players who are hitting well. The rookies who are hitting had at least a cup of coffee last year.

This year has been an odd one for many hitters, even established guys. Seems like the pitchers have gained some advantages in exploiting certain weaknesses.

The solution might have to come from hitting coaches analyzing the new bat path data. The pitchers have gained an advantage from being able to craft better pitches in the "lab".

Edited by Tigermojo

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

I just wonder if it removes all need to keep working hard now that he's got his big pay day.

I believe he has about $40 million on option years from 2030-2032 and a chance for a big free agency payoff after that.  He'll need to perform at a high level to get all that.  Of course, the 28 million guaranteed will set him up for life and maybe that is good enough him.  However, I tend to believe that most professional athletes have a competitive drive to be the best at what they do indepedent of money.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have made it so far.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

I thought I had seen somewhere that Keith had voiced his concerns/displeasure with Comerica’s dimensions? If so, that’s a big red flag for me.  It seems to have messed with Nick C while he was here.

I mean how many times are they going to have to move the fences in?