2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

16 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

A slow build...although the rebuild was finished.  This must be an addition to the wonderful house they've built.  

Most young players that suck turn out to be career minor league players, insurance agents, or end up working in the Home Depot.

the rebuild began last year.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

the rebuild began last year.

2-3 players per year is good yield from a development system. If Olsen, Keith and Perez stick, and Mize can get decent, it will not have been a bad year in terms of developmental roster upgrades - the problem for this season will have been losing Meadows and Torkelson if they don't make it back in productive form. Aslo, after Jobe the pitching pipeline gets thin. Thinner than it's been in a long time.

Edited by gehringer_2

The problem is they are wasting their pitching.  Skubal will be a FA after 2026.  Why would he want to stay with this organization?  I doubt if they even offer him anything because they won't even be close money wise.  By the deadline next year or even this off-season he will be gone.  

By the logic of so many of the impatient sect of the fan base, the infrastructural investments in the Dominican Republic Academy are a waste of money because they do not contribute to 2024 or 2025 success.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Who said the rebuild was finished?

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/30281/chris_ilitch_detroit_tigers_rebuild_is_100_percent_over

Fans have a right to be impatient, especially in the face of statements like this from the owner just 2 years ago. I question how passionate Chris is about sports in general. 

Every championship team this city has had in my lifetime was owned by dudes whose passion for the sport was obvious and unquestioned. They all felt like one of us, despite being billionaires, and Chris doesn't exude that IMO. Do I think he'd like to have winning teams? Yeah, I do, but not at any cost like his dad or Bill Davidson. I don't think losses affect him like they did those other guys. Maybe Im wrong and Chris just keeps that passion hidden from the public,  but why would any owner want to hide that?

1 hour ago, kdog said:

The Re-Rebuild...Pistons are about to go through the same thing.

The Lions needed to do it after Quinn and Patricia.  Underscores how critical it is to hit on the right executive in charge—the wrong one will set you back at least 7 years (four of their own tenure and at least three for their successor).  Let’s hope that Harris is not Quinn or Weaver.

Edited by Tenacious D

4 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I question it.  He is making a nice bit of coin by trotting out bargain basement sale players and then trading them ASAP.  It's one type of business model but it sucks for fans.

This is an interesting question. The Tigers are in a trust and CI is the trust administrator so he can run it as though it were his, but where any profits go could be another matter depending on the terms of the trust.

25 minutes ago, holygoat said:

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/30281/chris_ilitch_detroit_tigers_rebuild_is_100_percent_over

Fans have a right to be impatient, especially in the face of statements like this from the owner just 2 years ago. I question how passionate Chris is about sports in general. 

Every championship team this city has had in my lifetime was owned by dudes whose passion for the sport was obvious and unquestioned. They all felt like one of us, despite being billionaires, and Chris doesn't exude that IMO. Do I think he'd like to have winning teams? Yeah, I do, but not at any cost like his dad or Bill Davidson. I don't think losses affect him like they did those other guys. Maybe Im wrong and Chris just keeps that passion hidden from the public,  but why would any owner want to hide that?

And in that time, it was proven the 2022 team stunk and they had to push reset after Avila was canned. So again, the fan base is requesting Harris and Co. pull off some get rich quick scheme because Avila's attempts failed.

• Like 1

All an owner can do is hire people and let them do their job and spend when called upon and get rid of those executives when they show to not be doing their job.  Has Chris not shown that ability?   Yeah, he didnt "go after" Ohtani.  Get real.  On one hand people are complaining about Baez and his contract and on the other people are complaining about the owner being cheap.

The team has made significant behind the scenes improvements and hired expensive people in the front office, the kind of hires that most fans would never know happened, and I throw in Jason Benetti in that conversation.  If Chris just wanted to bank the cash from owning an ML team he wouldn't have approved those hires.  Take a look at the media guide and you can see who they are.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

And for all of the Chris Illitch bashing, I don’t question his heart or willingness to spend.  For me, it’s more about his sports business acumen and ability to hire and move on from executives when necessary.

I suspect this might be true.  Or maybe too much loyalty?  Mike Ilitch had been called too loyal at times.  Just look how long he kept someone like Randy Smith around even when it was obvious that he wasn't cut out for the role.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Shortstop is still more important......

They need to find one.

That would be my first priority in trading Flaherty. I mean, best player package we could get for him... But I would be hoping a blocked SS with some ability would be a part of that package, or the headliner...

Flaherty isn't going to get as much back as a lot of people on here think.  Some people make it sound like top 10 mlb prospects.  He's a rental for a few months.  Maybe a mid level prospect.

Edited by tiger2022

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Shortstop is still more important......

Is it?

The difference between a made play in the middle infield is a single and an out. In the outfield, it's an extra base hit or an out.

38 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Is it?

The difference between a made play in the middle infield is a single and an out. In the outfield, it's an extra base hit or an out.

depends a little how you slice it but your 2 MIF handle close to 8 chances pre game and your 3 OFs under 7, so per position, defense is more important for a MIF. To get the near the same bang defensively you need all 3 good OFs, possible but unusual because you almost always have to put at least one good stick/meh glove in the OF. I'm not knocking it, Riley and Vierling or Meadows is 2/3 of a lot balls not finding green grass (although Riley's throwing continues to disappoint, he should have Harper at 2B yesterday if he had been accurate).