2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think Harris doesn't care about results. Results affect the business, and as president he's responsible for the business. That's Business 101.

That's what the money is for. Because of development failures, we are in year 2 of a young hitter evaluation program. If this evaluation phase doesn't work, what is the pivot? Do we double down and add more young guys next year? trades? 

I don't see free agency as a viable option because most players who get there are over the hill.

who are these young guys they are developing? where are they?

I guess you can still dream on some of the Toledo guys to be ML contributors: Jung, Tork, Dingler, Meadows, even Leonard. Maybe that gets you 2 average starters? a platoon bat? a bench guy?

then it gets really bad.

Erie has only Lee as a real prospect, with Cruz and Workman probably seeing time with some team as McKinstry-level utility guys.

WMI: not much at all here. Campos? Gold?

once the AAA guy get a chance and either succeed or fail, there is a massive void in the next 2 seasons behind them.

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I guess you can still dream on some of the Toledo guys to be ML contributors: Jung, Tork, Dingler, Meadows, even Leonard. Maybe that gets you 2 average starters? a platoon bat? a bench guy?

then it gets really bad.

Erie has only Lee as a real prospect, with Cruz and Workman probably seeing time with some team as McKinstry-level utility guys.

once the AAA guy get a chance and either succeed or fail, there is a massive void in the next 2 seasons behind them.

That's the crux of the re-rebuild. How do you fill that gap? I'm not even accounting for the fact that every single hitter we have brought up has been historically bad. I would hope a few of them pop.

Canha, an outfielder, is saving the Tigers with his decent defense as the primary first baseman after Spencer Torkelson's June 2 demotion to Triple-A Toledo. It's too bad he has been brutal at the plate throughout May and June.

Canha is hitting .231 with zero (of his six) home runs and a .589 OPS since May 17, a span of 34 games. His 73 wRC+ during that stretch ranks 144 of 165 qualified hitters, but at least he is a (slightly) better first baseman than Torkelson. (Since May 1, Canha is hitting .211 with a .564 OPS.)

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

then it gets really bad.

I heard that Scott Harris had turned the organization into a player development machine.  

That is not a sarcastic knock against Harris.  It's just that fans overrate their team's prospects all the time and there is a lot of luck involved in drafting and development.  Even if you do things right. it's really hard to build a core    

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

then it gets really bad.

while Clark and Mcgonigle are good at Lakeland thats a long ways for the majors

I think the minor leagues lack of players falls partly on Avila.  He had a cupboard of all stars and traded them all away for absolutely nothing.  And the ones that have become legit mlb players are on other teams.  He was basically Matt Millen imcompetence.

So the Monday after Father's day my grandpa went shopping at Jos A Bank in Birmingham. Afterwards he forgot where he had parked and was wandering around looking for his car when a lady carrying a baby saw him and offered to help. After driving him around for a while without finding the car my grandpa said to just drop him off so she could take the baby home. She refused to just leave him walking around during the heat wave so she took him to her house where her husband was working from home. The husband then drove my grandpa around to look for his car, but they still couldn't find it. My grandpa had left his phone in the car so eventually they called my uncle who was able to give them the location of the car.

Anyways, it turns out that it was Scott Harris and his wife who drove my grandpa around Birmingham to help him find his car.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

35 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

So the Monday after Father's day my grandpa went shopping at Jos A Bank in Birmingham. Afterwards he forgot where he had parked and was wandering around looking for his car when a lady carrying a baby saw him and offered to help. After driving him around for a while without finding the car my grandpa said to just drop him off so she could take the baby home. She refused to just leave him walking around during the heat wave so she took him to her house where her husband was working from home. The husband then drove my grandpa around to look for his car, but they still couldn't find it. My grandpa had left his phone in the car so eventually they called my uncle who was able to give them the location of the car.

Anyways, it turns out that it was Scott Harris and his wife who drove my grandpa around Birmingham to help him find his car.

Is your last name Biden?

(too soon?)

52 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

That’s fantastic!

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

did he find out who we were getting for Erod?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don't think Harris doesn't care about results. Results affect the business, and as president he's responsible for the business. That's Business 101.

The bottom line is what's important in sports. It's a monopoly, the only way you can follow professional baseball is MLB. Unless you want to follow minor league baseball from a distance.

3 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Great now I really can’t tag on the guy. 

20 hours ago, Toddwert said:

did he find out who we were getting for Erod?

He did ask my grandpa if he liked baseball, but he told him no cause it's too boring. So Scott explained the pitch clock to him and how it's really sped up the game.

Apparently my grandpa also had a story about when he was working for Dominos he shared a hotel room with Tom Monaghan and Tom used his toothpaste.

Edited by TigerNation
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2024 at 5:42 PM, Sports_Freak said:

The bottom line is what's important in sports. It's a monopoly, the only way you can follow professional baseball is MLB. Unless you want to follow minor league baseball from a distance.

We enjoy minor league ball more so than MLB. We traversed to Alabama less than two weeks ago to see the minor league game at Rickwood Field as well as a game in Montgomery. We’re headed for Myrtle Beach and Charleston, SC for games this week. 
Seeing different minor league parks & teams is enjoyable. 

• Like 3

Spencer Torkelson has 29 Ks in 88 ABs AT TRIPLE A !!!!!!!     They done broke him.    I think they feed him so much information that his head is a mess and he's up there thinking too much.    If he could just clear his head and go back to what he used to be he'd be alright.    They will call him up this year, at some point,  and he will be in the 2025 plans, but things aren't looking too good beyond that.       Eric Munson Jr.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

We enjoy minor league ball more so than MLB. We traversed to Alabama less than two weeks ago to see the minor league game at Rickwood Field as well as a game in Montgomery. We’re headed for Myrtle Beach and Charleston, SC for games this week. 
Seeing different minor league parks & teams is enjoyable. 

Going to minor league games is definitely more fun for me.  I am not emotionally invested in the teams and don't care who wins, but the environment is usually more enjoyable.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Spencer Torkelson has 29 Ks in 88 ABs AT TRIPLE A !!!!!!!     They done broke him.    I think they feed him so much information that his head is a mess and he's up there thinking too much.    If he could just clear his head and go back to what he used to be he'd be alright.    They will call him up this year, at some point,  and he will be in the 2025 plans, but things aren't looking too good beyond that.       Eric Munson Jr.

His career BA in the minors is .259, he was never that impressive of a hitter past A ball.

56 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Going to minor league games is definitely more fun for me.  I am not emotionally invested in the teams and don't care who wins, but the environment is usually more enjoyable.  

Plus they seem like they care that there are fans there.  MLB has a certain arrogance when it comes to fans, like we are lucky they exist and should thank them for allowing us to spend $100+ to watch a terrible product.

But yea, the team sucks but now you watch them suck from upgraded seats.

Minor league games have all sorts of give aways, stuff between innings, etc

Just a lot better experience.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wouldn't get too exercised about Tork's K rate in the minors, Ks were not his problem against MLB pitching, I don't they are his problem against MiLB pitching. I hope what you are seeing is that they are trying to get him to improve his plate coverage and he is swinging at more pitches across the board. If that's true I'm OK with it, but he's still taking too many hittable 1st pitch strikes. That's seems to be so ingrained he can't leave it. Unfortunately he's not Joe Mauer.

34 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

His career BA in the minors is .259, he was never that impressive of a hitter past A ball.

Yup - the original sin with Torkelson was not leaving him at AAA until he learned to be a better all around hitter. Now he has to unlearn what he probably still believes got him to the majors.

Same risk is still in play with Meadows, but I think he's actually further along the curve at this point.

Edited by gehringer_2