2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

19 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And it's more intimate. MiLB is higher quality after the contraction by MLB a few years ago.

https://diamondbaseballholdings.com

The above link is worth a look. DBH now owns 35 MiLB franchises. That constitutes 29% of MiLB teams. DBH owns four of the 10 franchises here in North Carolina. Anyone that is interested in the minor leagues may find this link interesting. 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

19 of 24 games played in July will be against really good teams. And even the series against the Blue Jays, which I’m not including, is no gimme. 

More to the point, ten games in July will be against Cleveland and six will be against Minnesota. That's two-third of all games coming against division rivals above us in the standings. This stretch will determine whether we are buying or selling this deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

this lost season might be the best time to convert Holton to a starter.

I like the idea. I wonder what the psychology major and the business major would think of it. With Flaherty likely gone, Manning and Mize with question marks, why not. 

My masseuse who also teaches a bunch of yoga classes says that over stretching is a problem too.  Of course the Tigers have probably a dozen staffers highly qualified to discuss these things so I’m not suggesting anything. 

On 7/1/2024 at 1:47 PM, chasfh said:

More to the point, ten games in July will be against Cleveland and six will be against Minnesota. That's two-third of all games coming against division rivals above us in the standings. This stretch will determine whether we are buying or selling this deadline.

There's a real fan for you!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

It's amazing that a guy simply runs and gets hurt.  I was always expecting Cabrera to get hurt just walking to the buffet table after the game.

These guys never would have lasted a few decades ago.

A few decades ago:

(1) They wouldn't have had to train as hard as they they do today.  Their current regimen makes them stronger, but may make them more prone to injury.  

(2) I think players played through injuries more perhaps making things worse or shortening their careers.   

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There's a real fan for you!

So funny you say that because I realized just today how many pieces we’re missing that will prevent us from getting there!

2 hours ago, oblong said:

My masseuse who also teaches a bunch of yoga classes says that over stretching is a problem too.  Of course the Tigers have probably a dozen staffers highly qualified to discuss these things so I’m not suggesting anything. 

With young athletes it can be a ‘lead a horse to water” kind of thing. You may give them great advice they follow when you’re watching then they go try to break the apparatus in the weight room when you’re not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

With young athletes it can be a ‘lead a horse to water” kind of thing. You may give them great advice they follow when you’re watching then they go try to break the apparatus in the weight room when you’re not.

Like Miggy and his diet. He’d look ok coming out of camp but by August you could see the effect of post game munchies. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, if they do that—if they shirk training essential for the job for which they are being compensated handsomely—then they don’t deserve to stay in the majors, do they?

Some thoughts that I think I'm thinking:

I would offer this:

In 2025 Spring Training: I don't think they should sign any additional position free agents even after those we have this year walk... Pitching's a different matter, sign whatever's needed to fill out a staff and backups in AAA as necessary.

But... IMO:

I think 2025 spring training should be a wide open tryout for positions. Lose, and either get sent to AAA (Tork/ Meadows, just as examples), or bought out (Baez) and jettisoned.

Catcher: Rogers and Dingler don't have any competition so this is sort of cheating. There's room for both. Any other guys they have are too young (Josue Briseno-19, Enrique Jimenez-18, or Org guys like Crouch, Alphonzo, etc... but those guys can always cover AA and AAA and we can sign a vet AAAA guy like lefty Bemboom just to have extra...

So the 1st position I listed is not so much an open competition... sorry.

The 2nd position I'll list is...

2B. I'll get to 1B in a minute... but 2B is where there may be a real competition and it's possible a loser here could be sent over to 1B so... this is the next ST position which: should be just as open to Ibanez, as Keith, Jung, and maybe even Hao-Yu Lee. Raking at AA, I think he'll get the invite, even if it's just for a look-see. I don't want to close any doors. What if Keith's shoulder is getting stronger by next year and the team could actually be open to putting him back at 3rd? What if Lee actually steals a roster spot and the team decides he can take a shot at MLB at 2B? Could Jung play 1B? I think both he and Keith should be given 1B gloves and get some practice time to see what sticks. Jung can play in the AFL I believe... can Keith also? Just wondering. 2B to me though, is where the most interesting competition could play out.

1B: Tork either gets it. Or doesn't. If he doesn't, put him back in AAA and let Jung or Keith play 1B. Do we have any other options? I believe Vilade has played some 1B. He's also played all 3 OF spots and 2B and 3B. I'm adamant that he (Vilade) gets a chance at these competitions as well. If all he turns into is a utility guy or a AAAA guy, so be it... but I am in no mood to turn down a guy from entering a competition for a spot. Especially with where we are at 1B... right now.

3B: Whatever the fallout is from Ibanez-Jung-Keith-Vilade-Vierling... will work itself out.

SS: I don't give a crap: Give Navigato a chance. Kreidler one more shot. McGonigle and Franyerber are too young at 19 and at Low A or even lower... But Trei Cruz is at AA and playing just well enough... I don't care, give him a shot. We don't have good options here... but unless we get a better one in a trade... I still think Baez has to go. Eat the money, let him go. But I wish we had better competition for his spot.

OF: Greene & Carpenter are safe. But aside from those two... the team should call an open competition for remaining spots, both starter and bench. Perez looks good enough to at least be a 4th starter. Maybe with more MLB experience he'll figure out how to make some improvements at the plate... pitchers have figured him out but he's still keeping his head above water.... Meadows looks like he deserves another shot at CF. But there's still Malloy and Vierling and maybe even Baddoo (looks like toast), maybe Bigbie deserves at least a shot. Vilade deserves a shot (IMO). Campos is not ready yet but maybe he gets a ST invite, just for the atmosphere (he should be put on the 40 this offseason...). 

This year has been mostly... lost.

But between this year and next, especially next year... I wanna see which of these guys, if any, look to be a part of a foundation. Whoever doesn't cut it by the end of next year... position-by-position... has to be considered as a hole on the team to be fixed. I wouldn't say that this year because their are too many rookies (Keith/ Malloy/ Perez/ Meadows 1st attempt at a full season and only 37 MLB games last year/ etc...) and guys still at AAA or AA (Jung/ Dingler/Cruz) to get a good read. And with Tork & Meadows flopped so far this year... we don't know how they will come back from being sent back down to AAA.

I am hoping we get a much better read/ and better success next year as well of course, to see what a foundation might actually look like.

And I'd like that to start next year in Spring Training with a wide open (as much as possible) competition at most positions.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Well, if they do that—if they shirk training essential for the job for which they are being compensated handsomely—then they don’t deserve to stay in the majors, do they?

If a guy can throw or hit MLB pitching, anything else he may or may not deserve for any other reason means essentially squat, at least up to where the cops or the commissioners office has be involved.  🤷🏻

Edited by gehringer_2

Flaherty skips his next start after a second injection in his back. Montero will take his spot in the rotation tonight but technically it's Mize's spot because he is going to the IL. Montero can't be recalled so soon otherwise. They hope Flaherty is good to go at home next week and avoids the IL. Potential bullpen day for Mize's spot unless they bring up Manning.

Posted (edited)

Everything has gone epically wrong.     This is absolutely horrible.     Are they going to trade Skubal?   I know Flaherty's gone.     This current guy gave us Canha and Maeda and gave us the "Craig Paquette is a valuable player" schtick like Randy Smith.   These guys are mincemeat.   I thought Canha might be a leader, of sorts, with his OBP over the last 4 years, but even though thats 100 points higher than is BA, .335 is nothing to get excited about.       What a bunch of garbage this whole organization is.    Couldn't see that Parker Meadows wasn't ready - and then put him at leadoff.   Making Torkelson worse by loading his brain with more gobbledygook,  watching Riley Greene wither and die at 23 because he has nothing around him, not having a viable option at SS in case Javy played like Javy again (another player they're probably making worse with useless info),  signing Colt Keith to an expensive contract before he ever played a game.    It's just so awful.  Nothing has changed since Avila.  This slog is going to continue at least 2-3 more years after this.   Absolute brutality.  Sell the ****ing team.  It's all that's left that you can do.     Why did Harris leave his contending home-town team, was he about to get bounced?  

Oh, and clinging to a TERRIBLE color commentator to offset the great play-by-play hire.    His (alleged) past caught up to him.   Too late for me.  I let my Bally's app lapse because I refuse to pay to watch this.   This is like paying a dentist to inflict pain on you without improving your smile.   I have no smile, however, I am a Tigers fan and it's Summer and for the 10th straight year I have no reason to smile.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics