2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Some AllStar break fodder for your immediate dismissal/disdain:

Foundational Building Blocks

·       SP Tarik Skubal – current and future ace.  Should only be moved for a total haul.

·       SP Reese Olson – solid #3/4 starter.  Has looked good over 200 career MLB innings.

·       OF Riley Greene – Only 23, should continue to improve, but he’s very good as is.

·       IF Colt Keith – hitting over .300 with power since May 1.  Should continue to improve.  Might end up at 3B, eventually.

Promising, but still have something to prove:

·       OF Kerry Carpenter – bat looks good when he’s been healthy.  Defense improved, as well.  Just needs more AB’s to prove he’s the real deal.

·       SP Casey Mize – Has shown some flashes in first season since TJ.  Probably not an ace, but valuable as a #3/4 and is controlled for a few more seasons.

·       OF Wenceel Perez – versatile and can hit some.  Might be a good version of Willi Castro.

·       OF/3B Matt Vierling – on pace for a 20 HR season.  Valuable on this team with the number of LH bats.  Also nice to be able to plug into CF and 3B.  

·       UT Andy Ibanez – one of the best platoon utility guys—crushes LH pitching and can fill in at 2B and 3B (helpful with LH Keith and Jung at those positions).

·       C Jake Rogers – He is what he is, but in the world of below average catchers, you can live with his arm, D, occasional pop and .215 batting average.

·       RP Tyler Holton – not as dominant as last season, but still very effective.  Should be part of our pen for many years.

·       RP Beau Brieske – he should continue to get better as a reliever.  

·       RP Jason Foley – not sure he’s a closer, but probably valuable in a set-up role.  

·       RP Will Vest – same as Foley, though more of a roller coaster.

·       RP Alex Faedo – would like to see what he could do for an extended period without an injury.  Valuable in a swing role.

·       OF Justyn-Henry Malloy – looks like he is starting to figure things out offensively.  Will need to hit a ton, though, to find a regular spot in the lineup. Promising start.

Prospects who should be able to contribute:

·       CF Max Clark – due for a promotion to High A.  Could be ready by late 2026 or spring 2027.  Should fill gaping hole at leadoff and provide the best outfield defense in the league, with Meadows and Greene.

·       SS/2B Kevin McGonigle – same as Clark—should be in West Michigan soon and on a similar time horizon (‘26/’27).  Key will be whether he can stay at SS, though perhaps less of a concern with Rainer.

·       SS Bryce Rainer – Lots of accolades for him – should provide power and solid defense.  Arm would also play at 3B, but he’s more valuable to us if he can stick at SS.  Will also be invaluable in blowouts when we have to have a position player pitch (can hit 95 MPH).

·       C Dillon Dingler – looks like a bit of a Jake Rogers clone, at least up until this season.  Bat really turned the corner in Toledo—he gets promoted if we trade one of Kelly/Rogers.

·       SP Jackson Jobe – could probably pitch in the bigs right now.  Biggest issue with him is getting his innings up so he can pitch 150 or so next season.

·       3B Jace Jung – looks pretty close to being ready.  Will be interesting to see if the Tigers do the same with him as Keith and Malloy, or if they promote him in the 2nd half.  No one is blocking him in the bigs.

·       2B Ho-Yu Lee – looks like a great trade with the Phillies, and provides optimism for what a Flaherty trade might look like.   He’s only 21 and raking in Erie/AA.  Showing power and good base running ability. Should move up to Toledo this season.

Prospect Wild Cards (players who have either regressed, injured or had a bit of renaissance this season).

·       SP Tyler Madden 

·       SP Keider Montero

·       SP Wilmer Flores

·       SP Sawyer Gipson-Long

·       SP Troy Melton

·       SP Brant Hurter

·       SP Owen Hall

·       SP Ethan Schiefelbein

·       SP Paul Wilson

·       SP Jaden Hamm

·       SP Dylan Smith

·       SP Blake Dickerson

·       RP Tyler Mattison

·       C/1B Josue Briceno

·       SS Eddys Leonard

·       2B Max Anderson

·       SS Gage Workman

·       3B Carson Rucker

·       IF FRANYERBER!

·       OF Roberto Campos

·       OF Justice Bigbie

Taking up Space (might not make it through the season)

·       RP Joey Wentz – given too many opportunities.  Failed starter who is now acting like a failed reliever.

·       UT Zach McKinstry – versatile, but his bat doesn’t warrant playing as much as he does.  Only on roster because he can play a passable shortstop.

Impending Free Agents

·       RP Andrew Chafin – worth resigning to a one or two year deal

·       IF Gio Urshela – was a stopgap for Jung.  Should not be extended.

·       OF Mark Canha –  Would like an upgrade here.

·       SP Jack Flaherty – if not traded, should be given a qualifying offer.

·       C Carson Kelly – worth extending for up to two seasons (i.e. 2/$16M).  If his market is high, probably need to cut bait.

·       RP Shelby Miller – depending on how he finishes, would not likely resign, but upgrade through free agency or a failed starter at Toledo.

Damaged Goods (low likelihood of contributing)

·       SS Javier Baez (contract through 2/27)

·       SP Kenta Maeda (contract through 2/25)

·       1B Spencer Torkelson – would like to be optimistic but his demotion has only fueled more pessimism that he’ll figure things out.  

·       SS Ryan Kreidler – can’t seem to stay healthy or take advantage of opportunities when presented.

Nice effort.

6 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

0vroiton3xcd1.jpeg

If one assumed Tiger revenue would increase by probably 30-40% if they actually won something, then at this argues that at a 50% payroll/revenue ration they could carry a 200 million payroll easily. Of course the trick is if you spend the money you best win. Things are probably not real comfortable in the Jays' or Padres' front offices.

13 hours ago, oblong said:

Has it ever happened before where the WS winning team hosted the ASG the next year?

I had heard it last occurred in the '30s.  The Yankees won the WS in 1938 and hosted the ASG in 1939.

There were a few seasons ('59-'62) that had two ASGs, one at an AL location and the other at an NL location.  Most of those had the first in early July with the second in late July or early August.  It was probably just a revenue play.  I don't know if they used the same rosters for both games or not.

36 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

wait when that payroll explodes in a few years

If they were smart, they'd do what the Braves did and start offering ALL their young stars team friendly 5-8 year deals. Can you imagine if they lockup Cowser, Kjerstad, Henderson, and Rutschman right now for 5 years? Sheeeeeesh.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

I had heard it last occurred in the '30s.  The Yankees won the WS in 1938 and hosted the ASG in 1939.

There were a few seasons ('59-'62) that had two ASGs, one at an AL location and the other at an NL location.  Most of those had the first in early July with the second in late July or early August.  It was probably just a revenue play.  I don't know if they used the same rosters for both games or not.

Could it have been one fan voted and the other player voted? I don't remember when the overall transition to fan voting took place (actually those dates seem too early to me), but at some point they went from player voting to fan voting.

Edited by gehringer_2

I think fan voting became the thing in about 1970...it was sponsored by Gillette and you could pick up ballots at any location that had a display or at the ball park.  You could also buy an onion for a ha penny...them were the days

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

If they were smart, they'd do what the Braves did and start offering ALL their young stars team friendly 5-8 year deals.

Who are you thinking here? I'm guessing Tork might not yet be one of them. 😁

2 hours ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Can you imagine if they lockup Cowser, Kjerstad, Henderson, and Rutschman right now for 5 years? Sheeeeeesh.

Henderson is a Boras client, so that's a no, at least on team-friendly terms. FWIW, so is Jackson Holliday. Plus, Holliday is the #1 prospect on the Orioles, and #1's probably don't do that.

The time to lock up young talent to long team friendly contracts is before they start raking in the bigs, that is, before they know they can succeed so they are motivated to lock in the security. Once they start succeeding in the majors, once they know they're good enough to get good and paid, that team-friendly window is shut. Rutschman is already a 2x All-Star now so no incentive for him to sign on team terms. Kjerstad is killing it right now, so he also might be too far gone for that. Maybe Cowser, who's struggling right now so you can buy low, plus he topped out at #4 on Pipeline, like Colt Keith. So, sign him to that contract.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

I think fan voting became the thing in about 1970...it was sponsored by Gillette and you could pick up ballots at any location that had a display or at the ball park.  You could also buy an onion for a ha penny...them were the days

They did it in the 50s, too. In fact, a ballot-stuffing scandal caused Baseball to take the vote away from the fans because it undermined the integrity of the All-Star game. Isn't that just precious?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13168334/1957-cincinnati-fans-stacked-all-star-team-too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

They did it in the 50s, too. In fact, a ballot-stuffing scandal caused Baseball to take the vote away from the fans because it undermined the integrity of the All-Star game. Isn't that just precious?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/13168334/1957-cincinnati-fans-stacked-all-star-team-too

LOL - right. They pray for some good ballot stuffing today.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Who are you thinking here? I'm guessing Tork might not yet be one of them. 😁

Henderson is a Boras client, so that's a no, at least on team-friendly terms. FWIW, so is Jackson Holliday. Plus, Holliday is the #1 prospect on the Orioles, and #1's probably don't do that.

The time to lock up young talent to long team friendly contracts is before they start raking in the bigs, that is, before they know they can succeed so they are motivated to lock in the security. Once they start succeeding in the majors, once they know they're good enough to get good and paid, that team-friendly window is shut. Rutschman is already a 2x All-Star now so no incentive for him to sign on team terms. Kjerstad is killing it right now, so he also might be too far gone for that. Maybe Cowser, who's struggling right now so you can buy low, plus he topped out at #4 on Pipeline, like Colt Keith. So, sign him to that contract.

Didn't Albies and Acuna both sign after like a year+ of service time? Neither one got a contract before they debut. 

I could totally see Boras signing Holliday and Henderson for all of their arb years plus one or two years of FA. That seems to be the going rate right now. 

22 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Didn't Albies and Acuna both sign after like a year+ of service time? Neither one got a contract before they debut. 

I could totally see Boras signing Holliday and Henderson for all of their arb years plus one or two years of FA. That seems to be the going rate right now. 

Not only would I be shocked to see Boras selling out Gunnar Henderson for a 5-year team friendly deal, I think the entire industry would also be.

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Could it have been one fan voted and the other player voted? I don't remember when the overall transition to fan voting took place (actually those dates seem too early to me), but at some point they went from player voting to fan voting.

I don't know.  I'm not young but I'm not that not young.

Will Leitch has obviously not watched the Tigers this month, apparently not even when we were playing the Dodgers, which, really, I'm not surprised. He appears to be getting his input strictly from topline season data. At least he's aware TORK! was sent down, although he clearly has no idea how badly TORK! has been doing there and that he might be down for the rest of the season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-power-rankings-for-week-of-july-14?partnerId=it-20240718-10493459-mlb-1-A&utm_id=it-20240718-10493459-mlb-1-A&lctg=4019258656

23. Tigers (previously: 24)
Season high: 7 | Season low: 24
The Tigers have had some excellent pitching atop their rotation this year from Tarik Skubal and Jack Flaherty, but the offense just hasn’t been there – again. There are still young players to have hope for in the future. But one hopes those hitters emerge in time for the pitching to still be there.
Reasonable Expectation: Signs of progress from their young bats, including Spencer Torkelson once he returns to the bigs.

Which young players do you need to see post break to give you confidence for 2025?

For me it's Meadows, Dingler, and Carpenter. I need Dingler to get MLB at-bats and for Meadows/Carpy to be healthy and productive.