2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

6 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

This makes Manning and Maedas disastrous years even more frustrating.  With Mize out and now who knows how long Olson will be out, it adds an annoying wrinkle to a Flaherty trade.  If we deal him (or Skubal), we almost have to acquire a ML capable starter as well just for the sake of having ANYONE remotely competent to eat those innings.

There’s not much of anything to promote from Toledo into the Detroit rotation.  Heck, same could be said about the bullpen.  The Mud Hens have used 36 different players on the mound this season.  And granted, that includes a position player or two (Drew Maggie’s name stuck out, didn’t scan through the others).  But still, 36 pitchers.  36!  That seems nutty.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

When a young pitcher who is trying to establish himself in the majors—a time when someone is most likely to push through owies so they can keep pitching—takes himself out of the game for shoulder pain, that is usually a bad sign. 

we can only hope he's one who's a bit on the hypochondriac side....even if it's not likely. :classic_wink:

51 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I will say this is surprising 

Don't have the actual data to back this up but it 'feels' like the Tigers are taking alot less of those pitches and instead turning on them which helps coincide with the offensive spike. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't have the actual data to back this up but it 'feels' like the Tigers are taking alot less of those pitches and instead turning on them which helps coincide with the offensive spike. 

Demoting Torkelson certainly helps with this stat….

Apropos of nothing, It drives me absolutely bonkers whenever I see a zero in front of batting average, on base, slugging, or OPS. It's not 0.997, you dipwads, it's .997. Act like you grew up with baseball, for crying out loud. </rant>

If the Tigers finish this season with Keith, Perez, Dingler and Meadows all solidly in the lineup it would have to be the Tigers best position player development year since I don't remember when. if Torkelson makes it back, that would be icing on the cake.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

If the Tigers finish this season with Keith, Perez, Dingler and Meadows all solidly in the lineup it would have to be the Tigers best position player development year since I don't remember when. if Torkelson makes it back, that would be icing on the cake.

Malloy as well.

On 7/24/2024 at 6:11 PM, chasfh said:

Apropos of nothing, It drives me absolutely bonkers whenever I see a zero in front of batting average, on base, slugging, or OPS. It's not 0.997, you dipwads, it's .997. Act like you grew up with baseball, for crying out loud. </rant>

BA and OBP should never ever have a 0 in front of the decimal. 

OPS is not a percentage and it is not uncommon for it to be above one, so it's not so wrong for there to be a 0 before the decimal.  I actually often think of OPS as hundreds - like a 800 OPS.   

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are some pretty big ifs in there.  

51 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There are some pretty big ifs in there.  

yup. Keith is looking about as good as you could hope this far along, but even that is no sure thing yet. Wenceel has had a bad week and needs to show he can stop a slump before it gets serious. Torkelson raising his OPS with walks but still not doing much to prove his contact skill are also improving. No lack of possible clouds on the horizon.

So, Casey Mize: He came out of the game on June 29 with a hamstring strain. Today, we learn he will not be back before September. Good chance he is actually gone for the season, since they have already pulled the trigger on moving him to the 60-day. He will be 28 years old next year.

How much longer can this go on?

Just now, chasfh said:

So, Casey Mize: He came out of the game on June 29 with a hamstring strain. Today, we learn he will not be back before September. Good chance he is actually gone for the season, since they have already pulled the trigger on moving him to the 60-day. He will be 28 years old next year.

How much longer can this go on?

2 more years of control making no money...and he has no trade value. I want him starting in Detroit.

16 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

BA and OBP should never ever have a 0 in front of the decimal. 

OPS is not a percentage and it is not uncommon for it to be above one, so it's not so wrong for there to be a 0 before the decimal.  I actually often think of OPS as hundreds - like a 800 OPS.   

If you place the decimal before the digits in OBP, it also is not a percentage. 

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

2 more years of control making no money...and he has no trade value. I want him starting in Detroit.

That sounds fine on paper, except he’s rarely starting in Detroit. Two games in 2022; zero in 2023; 16 in 2024, or basically half a season. We are getting barely anything out of the guy. He can’t strike guys out, he can’t keep from giving up base hits, and his Savant card is as blue as the sea.  And he is signed for a team option next year at $3.1 million. I’m wondering whether there’s going to be a real discussion in the front office as to whether we should pick it up, because I can’t imagine it’s a slam-dunk yes.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That sounds fine on paper, except he’s rarely starting in Detroit. Two games in 2022; zero in 2023; 16 in 2024, or basically half a season. We are getting barely anything out of the guy. He can’t strike guys out, he can’t keep from giving up base hits, and his Savant card is as blue as the sea.  And he is signed for a team option next year at $3.1 million. I’m wondering whether there’s going to be a real discussion in the front office as to whether we should pick it up, because I can’t imagine it’s a slam-dunk yes.

He's a better option that whatever they have currently at Toledo. And the only starter in the high minors worth a damn is Jobe. You need options and he is a pitcher. You aren't relying on him.

As opposed to Tork, who has to play every day. You can't put up with substandard performance from that position.

1 minute ago, kdog said:

He's a better option that whatever they have currently at Toledo. And the only starter in the high minors worth a damn is Jobe. You need options and he is a pitcher. You aren't relying on him.

As opposed to Tork, who has to play every day. You can't put up with substandard performance from that position.

I mean, yeah, you may be right. Especially if Harris does absolutely nothing this winter to bring in pitching, which some people here might believe against all past evidence.

• Like 1