2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

If you place the decimal before the digits in OBP, it also is not a percentage. 

proportions then.

You got me, but batting average has historically been presented as a proportion.

Anyway, my point still stands.  

Edited by Tiger337

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

proportions then.

You got me, but batting average has historically been presented as a proportion.

Anyway, my point still stands.  

I agree. The context makes clear what the number represents.

Similarly, context would also allow you to refer to OPS, BA, OBA, SLG just as the digits. Even using the decimal at all feels overly formal. But if one must insist on including the decimal in a number that is never spoken to include “point,” I don’t think it’s the end of the world either to include the zero before it. 

Interestingly, at least to me, when it comes to a sub-1 ERA, the zero feels almost necessary. The “point” is also traditionally spoken. 

I guess my point is that WHIP is the only accurately named and presented traditional rate stat.

Edited by Shelton

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I agree. The context makes clear what the number represents.

Similarly, context would also allow you to refer to OPS, BA, OBA, SLG just as the digits. Even using the decimal at all feels overly formal. But if one must insist on including the decimal in a number that is never spoken to include “point,” I don’t think it’s the end of the world either to include the zero before it. 

Interestingly, at least to me, when it comes to a sub-1 ERA, the zero feels almost necessary. The “point” is also traditionally spoken. 

I guess my point is that WHIP is the only accurately named and presented traditional rate stat.

I think Chas and me were both being tongue in cheek in saying that it was absolutely wrong to include the zero before batting average.  It is aesthetically wrong, but cetainly not mathematically wrong.  

The worst name for a traditional stat, by the way, is slugging percentage. as it is neither a percentage nor a proportion.  

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Chas and me were both being tongue in cheek in saying that it was absolutely wrong to include the zero before batting average.  It is aesthetically wrong, but cetainly not mathematically wrong.  

The worst name for a traditional stat, by the way, is slugging percentage. as it is neither a percentage nor a proportion.  

I’m sure you remember that we already had this tongue-in-cheek discussion about 15 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I saw a chart on X recently that showed how guys in the minors are doing against various pitch speed. Tork was hitting over .300 on 94+mph pitches.  That surprised me

Even last year the knock about Tork wasn't that he couldn't turn on a good FB, it's that he was never ready to - which is not quite the same thing.

• Like 1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Even last year the knock about Tork wasn't that he couldn't turn on a good FB, it's that he was never ready to - which is not quite the same thing.

Dickerson said it best...he's getting caught in the rocking chair

16 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Right, not mathematically wrong, but it is an aesthetic atrocity, by which I mean, countless millions have died over it.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Right, not mathematically wrong, but it is an aesthetic atrocity, by which I mean, countless millions have died over it.

It's one of the worst things that can happen in the MLB.  

I know James McCann draws some ire from around these parts.  But he took this HBP off of the face, leaked some blood out of his face (the video might be a bit much for some), and stayed in the game.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

he does have that silly "plays the right way" vibe; but that was really impressive; if the game went much longer he would have had to come out as his eye was swollen shut after the game

He's managed to stay in the league for 10yrs which ain't bad for a catcher. And he's even found himself a team with an anglo SS.  :classic_angry: