2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

On 7/31/2024 at 8:12 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Haha - maybe it was Al that told Mike  DD was contacting other teams....

Actually...

DD said that OUT LOUD.

"Wow, the Red Sox would be a really great job!" And it didn't stop there.

MI was beyond pissed... and the public flirtation with the Red Sox job was a direct reason DD got ****-canned.

The lineup they trotted out today was just a slap in the face to the fans.  5 guys hitting under .200, and 3 other guys under .250.  

If most of those guys are on the roster next season, the GM and owner simply hate the fans.  

4 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

The lineup they trotted out today was just a slap in the face to the fans.  5 guys hitting under .200, and 3 other guys under .250.  

If most of those guys are on the roster next season, the GM and owner simply hate the fans.  

Was gonna post the same thing. Basically a AAAA team and Colt and Parker. Very small core, no decent depth. After 7 years it is disappointing. I get it. Avila inherited an aging, slow, huge payroll team. I do see brighter days ahead, but no sure thing. At some point they need to add a couple bats.

Okay,  this team should be looking at Sweeney at SS for the rest of this year.    Is there something there?    Could he at least be a better-hitting McKinstry next year?    What is it going to take to jettison Baez.    Enough already.   He checked out a long time ago.   Just cut him loose.  I'd rather see them TRY someone else than continuing to roll him out there.      If he goes 2 for 10 he raises his batting average - in August.   That's pathetic.    He played ya, Tigers.   He got his money and quit trying.  Just let him have the money.  You can blame it all on Avila.   

Blah Blah Blah Defense.   I don't care.  I just can't stomach seeing him up there at the plate anymore.   4 HR,  33 RBI  IN AUGUST !     OPS + at 39.   My god, what are we doing here?  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

"No decent depth"

It seems to me that we are seeing the depth right now. Injuries have decimated this team and then the trade deadline thinned it out even more. I'm not saying that who we have playing right now are high quality players, but they do show the depth that has been built. Someone like Badoo was starting just a couple of years ago. Now he is only playing because of all the injuries and trades. Imagine who would be playing now if we lost this many players a couple of years ago. The fact that this team is kind of holding it together right now seems to be a bit of a testimony to some depth that has been built.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Was gonna post the same thing. Basically a AAAA team and Colt and Parker. Very small core, no decent depth. After 7 years it is disappointing. I get it. Avila inherited an aging, slow, huge payroll team. I do see brighter days ahead, but no sure thing. At some point they need to add a couple bats.

Soto. That's all we need. Soto, Meadows, Greene, Jung, Baez, Keith, Tork, Rogers, Carpenter  That's a good ball club.

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Okay,  this team should be looking at Sweeney at SS for the rest of this year.    Is there something there?    Could he at least be a better-hitting McKinstry next year?    What is it going to take to jettison Baez.    Enough already....

I am perfectly fine with going with bandaids for a year or two.

Jettison Baez: yes.

Try Sweeney there (as early as this year but 2025 is also OK), and Workman and Trei Cruz (platoon or utility with Sweeney, starting also in 2025... one of them has GOT to be better than McKinstry, right? ... right?).

Just to see if anything sticks.

Does Kreidler get one more try as a starter? Or there's nothing left to see there...?

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Try Sweeney there (as early as this year but 2025 is also OK), and Workman and Trei Cruz (platoon or utility with Sweeney, starting also in 2025... one of them has GOT to be better than McKinstry, right? ... right?).

Does Kreidler get one more try as a starter? Or there's nothing left to see there...?

Nothing to see with Kreidler. 

All any band-aid needs to do, offensively, is hit .200 with an OBP over .240 and an OPS+ of over 50.    Not a very big ask there.  

But I've seen enough of this hack Baez.      Half of his swings look like some sort of seizure. 

He is so bad offensively, that even Gold Glove-caliber defense doesn't justify his existence on this roster. 

Are Harris' & Greenberg's hands tied by ownership or are they just too weak to make the necessary bold move?     

What message are you sending to your  young players by continuing to tolerate this? 

39 OPS +      

Edited by Motor City Sonics

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Workman just hit his third home run today.

Just now, Tigermojo said:

Workman just hit his third home run today.

I was just going to say...

Gage Workman is waving his hands back and forth (going 3-6 today at Erie with 3 HR's...) saying: "Hey! Look at me!!! Gimme a chance!!!"

Trei Cruz also goes 2-4 with 2 doubles, a BB and a SF...

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I was just going to say...

Gage Workman is waving his hands back and forth (going 3-6 today at Erie with 3 HR's...) saying: "Hey! Look at me!!! Gimme a chance!!!"

Trei Cruz also goes 2-4 with 2 doubles, a BB and a SF...

trei cruz?  he's 25 in AA and barely hitting a lick.  come on 84...

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

trei cruz?  he's 25 in AA and barely hitting a lick...

Does not disqualify him from being a bandaid utility guy or even a platoon option bandaid. His one advantage is he's a switch-hitter. If his fielding is top notch... then he's no worse than McKinstry... right?

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Nothing to see with Kreidler. 

All any band-aid needs to do, offensively, is hit .200 with an OBP over .240 and an OPS+ of over 50.    Not a very big ask there.  

But I've seen enough of this hack Baez.      Half of his swings look like some sort of seizure. 

He is so bad offensively, that even Gold Glove-caliber defense doesn't justify his existence on this roster. 

Are Harris' & Greenberg's hands tied by ownership or are they just too weak to make the necessary bold move?     

What message are you sending to your  young players by continuing to tolerate this? 

39 OPS +      

They’re too weak.

hes a sunk cost regardless of if he stays or is cut.  However, might as well keep him until the offseason with how injuries have destroyed us.  

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Does not disqualify him from being a bandaid utility guy or even a platoon option bandaid. His one advantage is he's a switch-hitter. If his fielding is top notch... then he's no worse than McKinstry... right?

when mckinstry was cruz's age he had an ops over 800 in AA.  the next year he was 880 in AAA.

the idea that trei cruz will come to the majors and hit better than mckinstry is fanciful.

its baseball so you never know, but....highly highly unlikely.

Players that are gaining notoriety among minor league fans because they are climbing career leader boards with a team (e.g. Workman) are not generally prospects. If they are at one level long enough to pass luminaries like Jamie Johnson, Max St. Pierre, and Deil Scram on career lists, you can save your excitement over a potentially meaningful MLB career.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, buddha said:

when mckinstry was cruz's age he had an ops over 800 in AA.  the next year he was 880 in AAA.

the idea that trei cruz will come to the majors and hit better than mckinstry is fanciful.

Nobody dreams on prospects like 1984Echos. Tough break for him that he follows the Tigers. 

Edited by SeattleMike

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

84 does not have time for your probabilities.  It's all about possibilities.