2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Just a general observation as I have been out of the loop due to back to back vacations and being busy in betwee.... for all this injuries to this team... they are still in every game it seems.  I'm not saying they are good but with this roster they should be getting smoked more often.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, oblong said:

Just a general observation as I have been out of the loop due to back to back vacations and being busy in betwee.... for all this injuries to this team... they are still in every game it seems.  I'm not saying they are good but with this roster they should be getting smoked more often.

So you’re basically saying managers lose games? 😉

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

This past week in particular was interesting.  Finished 3-3.  Could have easily been 4-2 or 2-4 without wackiness in the last inning in Seattle and a different turn of events without the rundown outs in the series finale in San Francisco.  While we can complain about the lineups, the pitching decisions, etc, they were in each and every game, all of which could have easily tipped the other way.

Also, the "back to back vacations" was a nice humble brag.

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

This past week in particular was interesting.  Finished 3-3.  Could have easily been 4-2 or 2-4 without wackiness in the last inning in Seattle and a different turn of events without the rundown outs in the series finale in San Francisco.  While we can complain about the lineups, the pitching decisions, etc, they were in each and every game, all of which could have easily tipped the other way.

It amazing how much difference a just a couple of reliable relievers makes, not only in the actual outcomes, but in the general feeling watching this team go into the last 3 innings with a one/two run lead. It's 180 deg reversal in the expectation for a win.

Probably one point you have to give Avila, he assembled some decent bullpens.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

It was a unique situation for us.  Our regular family vacation followed up by a cousins trip.  A rare occurrance for us.  We ain't flashy. 

41 minutes ago, oblong said:

It is pretty surprising that they are not doing worse.  However, I think we also might be underestimating the number of injuries in baseball for all teams now.  Baseball has become a game of attrition where the amount of depth a team has  become almost impotant as the number of top performers they have.  It seems players are pushing their bodies to get the highest performance possible, but injuries have become so commonplace now that perhaps the pursuit of excellence has become counterproductive, especially for pitchers.  

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It is pretty surprising that they are not doing worse.  However, I think we also might be underestimating the number of injuries in baseball for all teams now.  Baseball has become a game of attrition where the amount of depth a team has  become almost impotant as the number of top performers they have.  It seems players are pushing their bodies to get the highest performance possible, but injuries have become so commonplace now that perhaps the pursuit of excellence has become counterproductive, especially for pitchers.  

good point. In the NFL that is already true. I think a big part of Holmes success as Lions' GM is exactly how well he understands this. The injury situation if FB is worse of course, but at least in football, there is actually more pressure for young guys to train to stay on the field because they know if they don't they just get cut. In baseball it's almost counterproductive because a young guy on a major league roster is out a year for TJ he not only gets paid but he accrues service time getting him closer to a bigger payday when he comes back. Not sure that drives the right incentives for players focus on staying healthy when they are young and developing their training approaches.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, oblong said:

Their pitching has been really good for the most part and that has been keeping the team in games.  Their offense has not been some juggernaut.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The weird thing is that it doesn’t seem like they are pushing themselves harder.  Pitchers I can see since it’s all about velocity and spin rate now, but position players get platooned and pinch hit/pinch run for a lot more now than they used to.  There aren’t a whole bunch of players playing 155+ games each year any more.  On top of that, you don’t have nearly the amount of guys bunting and stealing a lot of bases anymore either.  

Granted, guys aren’t popping pain pills like they probably did in the 80s and 90s either….

Edited by monkeytargets39

18 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

The weird thing is that it doesn’t seem like they are pushing themselves harder.  Pitchers I can see since it’s all about velocity and spin rate now, but position players get platooned and pinch hit/pinch run for a lot more now than they used to.  There aren’t a whole bunch of players playing 155+ games each year any more.  On top of that, you don’t have nearly the amount of guys bunting and stealing a lot of bases anymore either.  

Granted, guys aren’t popping pain pills like they probably did in the 80s and 90s either….

I think with muscle strains, a problem in baseball games is the inactivity. Guys go out and do their warm-ups but then sit and stand around for extended periods and then have to suddenly cut/accelerate/sprint and those warm-ups were way too long in the past to be protective. The one that I found most ridiculous was Mize's hamstring though. He basically walked off the mound and somehow strained it. 

Maybe guys need to be running back to the clubhouse during the inning breaks or infield sweeps and re-stretching or jumping on stationary bikes.

I think teams are more careful with players now.  Look at how the Nationals handled Strausburg.  In the 80s, he would have pitched 200 innings and had Dusty Baker ( ruined Wood and Prior) or Billy Martin ( ruined the entire A's pitching rotation) been his manager, probably at least 275 with 130+ pitches per game.

Edited by tiger2022

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Injuries, or lack of, is an underappreciated reason the Royals have overachieved this year. Their top 5 starters have missed around 5-6 starts total all season. And Massey is the only position player of any note to spend bulk time on the IL. 

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

Injuries, or lack of, is an underappreciated reason the Royals have overachieved this year. Their top 5 starters have missed around 5-6 starts total all season. And Massey is the only position player of any note to spend bulk time on the IL. 

that and the cheating

Ha ha haaa, Joey’s got a rep!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2024/08/13/will-tigers-move-meadows-to-top-of-order-a-tantalizing-but-impractical-thought-for-now/74778946007/

Greene off and running

Riley Greene ended his final running test Tuesday, going from second base to home and running right through the mock stop sign thrown up by coach George Lombard.

“I told him I wanted to make it more realistic,” said Greene, who has been on the injured list since July 26 because of a right hamstring strain. “Because Joey(Cora) would be coaching third and Joey sends everyone.”

Fangraphs posted an article today about teams records against everybody else but the White Sox.

Interesting enough we'd only be a few games of KC and the last wild card spot in that scenario. Really the only difference between us and them is that they are 12-1 against the White Sox and were "only" 5-1.

If the schedules were different and we played them 13 times by this point and KC played them 6 we very well could be sitting right where their at in the last WC spot.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Fangraphs posted an article today about teams records against everybody else but the White Sox.

Interesting enough we'd only be a few games of KC and the last wild card spot in that scenario. Really the only difference between us and them is that they are 12-1 against the White Sox and were "only" 5-1.

If the schedules were different and we played them 13 times by this point and KC played them 6 we very well could be sitting right where their at in the last WC spot.

The takeaway is that KC is and has been a fraud all year. 

They won't win more than 75 games next year despite having an 8+ WAR SS.

I have to say that this team (AAA players and all) has kept my interest up all year. These guys could be pretty good for the for the next few years with the addition of or the breaking out of a couple of real stars. It's fun to wear Tiger gear into the month of August for a change. 😉

• Like 1