2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

24 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I would be surprised to see Ibanez on this team next year. He’s 31 and heading into 1st arbitration. They may try to trade him for just about anything. I just don't see them wasting a spot. 

I think the only spot they will look for on the position side would be a 1st basemen that can complement or replace Tork who probably hits from the left side. I will be interested to see what they do with 1B this offseason. 

Ibanez has a role on a lefty heavy team, which the team projects to be. And he won't be expensive as an Arb1. I would keep him around.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Ibanez has a role on a lefty heavy team, which the team projects to be. And he won't be expensive as an Arb1. I would keep him around.

Yup.  The Tigers won't let him go for nothing.  He'll either still be on the Tigers or traded to a team that sees the split vs LHPs as a benefit.  This was quite the pickup by Harris.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

I thought about that as well but I’m just not sure as I’m already counting 13.

I think infield wise you are at Tork, Keith, Baez, Jung, Sweeney, then Vierling as the swing. 

outfield- Greene, Carpenter, Meadows, Malloy, Perez

Catchers- Rogers and Dingler. 

Maybe he fits in there and you send Sweeney or Malloy back to the minors which I think the end of this season will tell us that. Also I’d like to see them bring in a 1st basemen that competes with Tork unless you cross train Keith or Jung there. 

34 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I would be surprised to see Ibanez on this team next year. He’s 31 and heading into 1st arbitration. They may try to trade him for just about anything. I just don't see them wasting a spot. 

I think the only spot they will look for on the position side would be a 1st basemen that can complement or replace Tork who probably hits from the left side. I will be interested to see what they do with 1B this offseason. 

I'd assume heavy preference would be given to somebody who hits from the right side.

8 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I think infield wise you are at Tork, Keith, Baez, Jung, Sweeney, then Vierling as the swing. 

Maybe he fits in there and you send Sweeney or Malloy back to the minors which I think the end of this season will tell us that. Also I’d like to see them bring in a 1st basemen that competes with Tork unless you cross train Keith or Jung there. 

13 but with two shortstops and six outfielders. Maybe Baez becomes the utility guy but Sweeney probably wouldn't, he's only played short. Don't need Perez and Malloy unless one of the starters is hurt.

9 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

Perez might be the odd man out there, stashed in Toledo to play everyday.

Well, and who knows how the Torkelson thing will shake out.

I’m not saying he has to go and I have no problem if he stays. However he is 31 and likely not part of a contending team in Detroit so it just wouldn’t upset me either way. I do fully admit that he fills a niche role here very well and we would almost assuredly take a step back in hitting lefties without his bat. 

8 minutes ago, Nate7474 said:

I think infield wise you are at ... Vierling as the swing. 

outfield ... Malloy, Perez

I think this will end up being a Spring Training decision next year.

Where is Sweeney at (part-time starter?) Baez (if Sweeney is starter at SS Baez makes some sense as a backup/ part-time from the Right-Side SS/ utility player)? Is Jung ready to take over 3B or not quite yet (and ends up back at Toledo for more seasoning...)?

That (and any ST injury) will determine how much to use Vierling on the IF and whether the IF has room for Ibanez. Also, the OF gets a bit crowded if Vierling is used mostly there. I know Malloy would best be served as a LOT of DH and not much OF... I'm just sayin'...

Ibanez is here IMO, at least through next year's spring training.

21 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Rumblings that Tork is being recalled today.  Nothing confirmed, nor any corresponding move.  Would assume Madris is odd man out.

Bligh has been the classic unscouted call-up. Nice performance out of the gate when the adrenaline is high and opposition hasn't seen him - then reality hits. His OPS has been crashing recently.

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/08/tigers-to-promote-spencer-torkelson.html

Not sure he's earned it. He wasn't exactly dominating AAA.

Tork always fronts in his interviews that he isn't really changing anything - 'just working on his timing etc.' but I don't really believe that. Judging by his AB's in Toledo he was either told or finally decided to start swinging at a lot more pitches in the zone. That has led to more K's, but also a good number of hits on 1st pitch strikes, which was a big hole in his profile before. Best case scenario is that on return he goes back to being a little more selective while still being more aggressive in the zone than when he was sent down (which was not very). But we'll see.

Tork also made comments about 'not being able to work on stuff at the MLB level." If they do bring him back maybe tell him the rest of the season has shifted into development mode so he doesn't have to worry about that!  🤔

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tork made comments about 'not being able to work on stuff at the MLB level." I wonder if maybe they've told him the rest of the season has shifted into development mode so he doesn't have to worry about that!  🤔

The next six weeks should be interesting. Greene back next week and the gangs all here to audition for 2025.

randomly: Tork will celebrate his 8/26 b-day in the majors.

when Greene is back soon, do they DFA McKinstry (no options) or send down Malloy for 2 weeks and recall him Sept 1?

they pointed out how crazy young line up was last night.

next year Baez, Ibanez will be 32, Rogers 30, Vierling 28, Carpenter, 27 and then of all people Dingler 26 could be 6th oldest.

Madris will be 29 and McKinstry will be 30 but don't see them in Det

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I was not happy to see this. He is what he is-- an atrocious fielding 1st baseman that can't run, can't hit a middle middle fastball, and will be nothing more than a sub replacement player for the rest of his career.

I understand why it is being done. I would have preferred him to win his position in the spring.

23 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I was not happy to see this. He is what he is-- an atrocious fielding 1st baseman that can't run, can't hit a middle middle fastball, and will be nothing more than a sub replacement player for the rest of his career.

I understand why it is being done. I would have preferred him to win his position in the spring.

I think they want to see if they need to address 1B in the offseason.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Same here.

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think they want to see if they need to address 1B in the offseason.

13 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

even with watered-down September pitching staff, these 39 MLB games are a lot better indicator of where he is than some ST games

But I get what's being said here as well... and it probably makes more sense.

But Tork needs to make a LOT of improvements before spring training 2025... IMO.

Or it might be time to move on.

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

even with watered-down September pitching staff, these 39 MLB games are a lot better indicator of where he is than some ST games

True. It will be interesting to see if his approach is materially different. As I've probably already commented on to death, I've always felt Torkelson's biggest problem was not mechanical or swing related but simply that he never got through his head that in the majors you have to swing at any strike you can hit, or else you will just be out when the pitchers throws you one you can't. Basically a guy who spent his time in the box letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. You can do that against bad pitchers, not average+ MLB guys.  IMO, if he has made progress on that front, he should be better. If not, he's going to be a bust.

Regarding Tork.    They probably looked for something very specific in him.   Maybe asked him to work on something very specific and he did and they are comfortable bringing him back 

He's a starter next year on Opening Day.   Probably splitting between 1B and DH.      Outside of Ibanez, I don't know who they would have to play first.    If Vierling can play third and the OF..........maybe Sweeney and Malloy learn.   Maybe Colt Keith.     

If they are going with mainly Sweeney at SS the rest of the year, it sure seems obvious they are showing Harvey the door.   But if not Sweney...........it's slim pickens at SS in the FA market.   I think they'd have to overpay for Willy Adames, who probably wants a long-term deal.    But what of Amed Rosario?   Wouldn't not cost a fortune.  Wouldn't have to commit long-term and he's the band-aid until (hopefully) Kevin McGonigle is ready in 2027.