2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If they are going with mainly Sweeney at SS the rest of the year, it sure seems ...

OBVIOUS to keep Baez as the Right-Side SS. Sweeney is LH'ed. And I believe capable at SS (per the scouting reports), but not spectacular.

It would seem OBVIOUS (since he's under contract next year for big money...) to keep Baez as a defensive replacement SS, RH'ed SS in a platoon with Sweeney, and as a defensive utility guy that has also played 2B and 3B (IIRC). Now there's a reason to keep his contract on the books (after trading-for and promoting Sweeney)... at least until someone PUSHES him out the door. And it will harder to do that now.

At least that's what seems obvious to me.

IMO.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If they are going with mainly Sweeney at SS the rest of the year, it sure seems obvious they are showing Harvey the door.   But if not Sweney...........it's slim pickens at SS in the FA market.   I think they'd have to overpay for Willy Adames, who probably wants a long-term deal.    But what of Amed Rosario?   Wouldn't not cost a fortune.  Wouldn't have to commit long-term and he's the band-aid until (hopefully) Kevin McGonigle is ready in 2027.  

I’ll believe they show him the door when they show him the door.  I don’t think he finishes his contract out with the Tigers, but I think they still see value in his defense and hope/believe he has a resurgent his offense.

Here’s something to consider.  He had his best days when he wasn’t the focal point of a team.  There was other talent that was better than he was.  With some of the talent in place and coming up, does he revert back towards his previous play?  Maybe he’s at his best when he’s a complimentary or secondary player rather than the guy?

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Not obvious at this point, but if he is relegated to the bench while they evaluate the young players down the stretch, it could be a sign.   

They are giving other players every opportunity to push Javy out the door.

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

randomly: Tork will celebrate his 8/26 b-day in the majors.

when Greene is back soon, do they DFA McKinstry (no options) or send down Malloy for 2 weeks and recall him Sept 1?

they pointed out how crazy young line up was last night.

next year Baez, Ibanez will be 32, Rogers 30, Vierling 28, Carpenter, 27 and then of all people Dingler 26 could be 6th oldest.

Madris will be 29 and McKinstry will be 30 but don't see them in Det

All teams will have a few veteran players. Regardless if they are contending for a title or rebuilding. Detroit will be no different. They could add a position player in his early 30s to play 1B, and utility. There is also the fact that there will be injuries, we should all know this, and depth is of utmost importance.

E60 at 4 pm today is on Galarraga’s non perfect game.  Manfred again said no change in plans to place his name on whatever list there is.  I think doing something in this case is an easy decision.  There’s no butterfly effect since he got the next out. You dont have to do it in other situations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

E60 at 4 pm today is on Galarraga’s non perfect game.  Manfred again said no change in plans to place his name on whatever list there is.  I think doing something in this case is an easy decision.  There’s no butterfly effect since he got the next out. You dont have to do it in other situations. 

They could call it a "28-out no-hitter".

I'm good with that.

I don't know why I'm saying this cause it's just going to be a jinx but looking at our remaining schedule and we have 17 games against the White Sox, Angels, Rockies and A's. The White Sox are obviously all time terrible but the other 3 are outside of the Marlins the definitive worst teams in baseball.

If we can clean up on those games and go something like 13-4 we'd have a strong chance to finish above .500 for the first time since 2016. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know why I'm saying this cause it's just going to be a jinx but looking at our remaining schedule and we have 17 games against the White Sox, Angels, Rockies and A's. The White Sox are obviously all time terrible but the other 3 are outside of the Marlins the definitive worst teams in baseball.

If we can clean up on those games and go something like 13-4 we'd have a strong chance to finish above .500 for the first time since 2016. 

The funny thing is those other team's are looking at their games with the Tigers and saying the same thing that they should win most of those.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

The funny thing is those other team's are looking at their games with the Tigers and saying the same thing that they should win most of those.

I’m sure Seattle fans saw 6 games with the Tigers as the way back to first. 

• Thanks 1

So the Tigers are going to spend eight days and seven nights in Chicago, first playing the Cubs and then the Sox. This will be almost like a home stand only on the road. Hoping they settle in on this off day, get dialed in, and play some memorable baseball in the city of broad shoulders. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

So the Tigers are going to spend eight days and seven nights in Chicago, first playing the Cubs and then the Sox. This will be almost like a home stand only on the road. Hoping they settle in on this off day, get dialed in, and play some memorable baseball in the city of broad shoulders. 

I'll be on the north side Tuesday and Thursday and on the south side Saturday!

Then I'm coming into town for Red Sox-Tigers the following Friday.

They're playing good, exciting ball with a good chunk of the future on the roster now, so, should be a good time to see them play!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1