2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I had mentioned the three three three rotation.  I believe Tango was the first to suggest it. Your three best starters are used traditionally and then you have two bullpen days where the three pitchers pitch three innings apiece.  There are also three traditional relievers to finish things off.  We may very well be headed in that direction or something close to it.

Requiring starters to to pitch six innings per start would put an end to all the recent experimentation.  I don't think that's a good idea.  I do like watching traditional starters pitch deep into games, but I also don't like to see rules put in place that limit strategy.  

Oakland (Tony LaRussa?) tried a different three three three years ago.  Three pitchers every third game pitched three innings.  Then there was a closer and maybe an emergency pitcher.  It didn't last for very long at all.

Edit:  @CMRivdogs beat me to it.

Edited by casimir

From Will Carrol's newsletter...

"

Javier Baez has an SI joint issue and his season is likely over. The sacroiliac joint is one of those important and nearly immobile intersections where we don’t really think of them as joints. Yes, it’s two bones connecting via ligament, but the placement, movement, and function are so important to almost everything, it has to be taken extremely seriously. Baez isn’t going to die, but the pain can be such that it might make him want to.

This is similar, but not identical, to the issue Baez had earlier this year, which was focused on the lumbar spine. There’s some question about physical changes in that area, which could need surgical fixes. None of them are great for an athletic career, especially someone who relies so much on lateral and linear quickness. Is Baez’s career threatened by this? Yes, especially with three years left on his big deal and declining performance since coming to Detroit. We’ll have to see what the doctors decide is best for Baez and how the Tigers will address this in the off-season. Trey Sweeney will fill in for now and could be the longer-term solution with most of the Tigers top prospects in the low minors."

• Thanks 2

The pitching deployment of the bulk reliever is certainly odd for a traditionalist sport.  But Gregg Popovich did something so,what similar in basketball by bringing Manu Ginobili off of the bench when he was still starter quality with the Spurs.  Different sport, different substitution rules.  But I think the same strategy from the standpoint of using strengths at slightly untraditional times.

32 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

From Will Carrol's newsletter...

"

Javier Baez has an SI joint issue

I've been dealing with some very similar issues and definitely would not want to be attempting to play SS or swing a bat! For a civilian you can probably just let the ligatures slowly recovery with proper physical therapy support, but an athlete may understandably look to a more aggressive treatment.

Edited by gehringer_2

58 minutes ago, casimir said:

The pitching deployment of the bulk reliever is certainly odd for a traditionalist sport.  But Gregg Popovich did something so,what similar in basketball by bringing Manu Ginobili off of the bench when he was still starter quality with the Spurs.  Different sport, different substitution rules.  But I think the same strategy from the standpoint of using strengths at slightly untraditional times.

Chuck Daly fid that with the Pistons front court.  Edwards started and established the low post offense and then Salley and Rodman came in as the X factor and played a ton of minutes 

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I had mentioned the three three three rotation.  I believe Tango was the first to suggest it. Your three best starters are used traditionally and then you have two bullpen days where the three pitchers pitch three innings apiece.  There are also three traditional relievers to finish things off.  We may very well be headed in that direction or something close to it.

Requiring starters to to pitch six innings per start would put an end to all the recent experimentation.  I don't think that's a good idea.  I do like watching traditional starters pitch deep into games, but I also don't like to see rules put in place that limit strategy.  

I think that rule is worse than limiting strategy. It would lead to a boatload of injuries. When a pitcher becomes fatigued, injuries may go up.

6 hours ago, papalawrence said:

5.5 back of Twins for last WC. It's a dream, but stranger things have happened

Just keep winning and let's see what happens.

Boston is in town for 3 this weekend.  The Tigers are currently 1.5 behind them.  The Red Sox are the only non wild card team ahead of the Tigers.  Swap spots, maybe get the 5.5 down to 4.0.

The Tigers have 3 more games with the Royals and 6 more games with the Orioles in September.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

A couple days ago the Freep Said he could be starting Friday. Maybe math is optional for journalists. 

could be the IL date on his MLB transaction page missed a back date. That's what I was going by.

EDIT: BR says his last appearance was 6/30, so he could have been backdated to July 1 and there is your two days. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

People still hating on Tork or is he "back in the picture" of a future 1B for the Tigers? JC.

I’m still hating. 3 years at below replacement level. Will take more than a 3 week hot streak for me to be convinced. Wouldn’t reserve a starting spot for him next year….