2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Regarding Chet Lemon.... I suggest every Tiger fan read that article in the freep.  It's very moving.  My wife has patients like that.  She told me of one who could only say the word 'Ohio'.  She knew what she wanted to say and could think it.... but it came out as "ohio".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Regarding Chet Lemon.... I suggest every Tiger fan read that article in the freep.  It's very moving.  My wife has patients like that.  She told me of one who could only say the word 'Ohio'.  She knew what she wanted to say and could think it.... but it came out as "ohio".

Sounds like he'll be there and that'll be very uplifting for him, but I think it's gonna be quite emotional for the guys and for the fans.   This town LOVES Chet Lemon.    How could you not? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oblong said:

I should have read the thread first but I just re-posted a tweet to the article.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oblong said:

A case can be made for him to be in the HOF. Seriously.  

He is surprisingly close.  He is underrated because he was overshadowed by teammates like Whitaker, Trammell, Morris, Parrish.    Or maybe you could say that they all overshadowed each other because they played together for a lot of years, none of them were superstars but all very good.   

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 4

McCann hits the magical 10 years of service time mark which guarantees you the full MLB pension for life. Considering he was never a premium prospect, got off to a rough start in the majors and plays the most taxing position in the sport I can't imagine he wouldve thought he'd make it this long and have this type of career.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

He is surprisingly close.  He is underrated because he was overshadowed by teammates like Whitaker, Trammell, Morris, Parrish.    Or maybe you could say that they all overshadowed each other because they played together for a lot of years, none of them were superstars but all very good.   

Like Whitaker he also was hurt by playing about 15-20 years too early before people started to appreciate and use modern metrics. Chet didnt have eye popping HR numbers, a .300+ average or big stolen base numbers which were the things that caught people's attention back then. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Like Whitaker he also was hurt by playing about 15-20 years too early before people started to appreciate and use modern metrics. Chet didnt have eye popping HR numbers, a .300+ average or big stolen base numbers which were the things that caught people's attention back then. 

Lemon hit .300 three times in six seasons with the White Sox. He never reached .300 with the Tigers. But his power numbers increased, not surprisingly. Good ole ballpark effects. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 1:36 PM, RandyMarsh said:

McCann hits the magical 10 years of service time mark which guarantees you the full MLB pension for life. Considering he was never a premium prospect, got off to a rough start in the majors and plays the most taxing position in the sport I can't imagine he wouldve thought he'd make it this long and have this type of career.  

The League should give catchers an extra year or two of service for the pension.

• Thanks 1

The Tigers are 15-5 in the last 20 games, best in all of baseball, and are 5 games back of a WC spot and will have to overtake either the Royals or Twins (or both) to make it.  The Red Sox are 4.5 games back, but the Tigers won the season series and therefore have won the tie breaker if they end up with identical records.  Let's assume Baltimore wins one of the WC spots, that leaves 2 spots open for the Twins, Royals, Red Sox, Tigers, and Mariners.   

How confident are you in the Tigers actually making the post-season?

Baseball Reference: https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2024-playoff-odds.shtml

12.9% making the playoffs, 1.2% winning the pennant, 0.6% winning the WS. 

FanGraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

7.3% making the playoffs, 0.1% winning the WS.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 11:00 PM, IdahoBert said:

They have 25 games left and if they keep “winning“ at a .226 rate they will finish the season with 125 losses. 

I don't see how they reach 40 wins - unless they go on an unexpected run like the 2003 Tigers did (didn't they win 5 of their last 6 to avoid the record?  

Anywhoo..

At the 138 mark

1962 Mets   35-103

2003 Tigers   36-102

2024 White Six  31-107

And they are beating the Orioles (in the 3rd inning)