2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

31 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

Flaherty is now 5-1 with a 2.61 era in LA. He'll likely remain there, but I'd like to see him back in Det if the price/years isn't insane

IDK - it depends if there is some limit to how much payroll the  Dodgers can rack up or not. They owe a tonne of money to a bunch of guys already. Plus they can already count 5 starters if guys are healthy:.   Yamamoto, Kershaw, Glasgow, Stone, Ohtani. I suppose Kershaw could retire.

4 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Tigers are 35-21 when Meadows starts. Some of that's a fluke, but it speaks to all that he brings to the games

So, they are 38-50 when he doesn't play.  So, they that makes them .432 when he does play and .625 when he does play.  Over 162 games, they go from a 70 win team to a 100 win team win he plays.  Even Willie Mays can't do that!  Meadows has been good especially defensively, but not THAT good.  A lot of the wins came early in the year when Meadows was doing poorly and other players were reponsible for wins.  I'm going to say 35-21 is a small part due to Meadows but mostly due to other factors.  

11 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Flaherty is now 5-1 with a 2.61 era in LA. He'll likely remain there, but I'd like to see him back in Det if the price/years isn't insane

I’d like to see him back in Detroit as well but I believe the price will be more than the FO will be willing to pay at this point. With the success the team has had in developing pitchers this year within the organization, I think it would be difficult to justify paying Flaherty the market rate when he hits free agency. 

12 hours ago, papalawrence said:

Walker Buehler could be next year's Flaherty.

At least I believe he's a FA this year?

And Flaherty could easily be in his ear: "Dude, go to Detroit for a year! I swear to you!"

2 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I went to look at Flaherty's stats with the Dodgers, and I noticed that they have used 38 different pitchers this year! It seems like the Tigers have used a lot, and they are "only" at 25. That's insane.

Miami has used 43 pitchers this season.  St. Louis has used 43 total players this season.

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

I’d like to see him back in Detroit as well but I believe the price will be more than the FO will be willing to pay at this point. With the success the team has had in developing pitchers this year within the organization, I think it would be difficult to justify paying Flaherty the market rate when he hits free agency. 

The price per season may not be too much for us but the number of seasons he may want would be too much for our FO. The price for pitchers is pretty insane and we do have quite a few price controlled arms in house options. I would like to see at least one SP and maybe 2 BP arms?

Flaherty is not coming back because we are not going to throw the years he will require to sign a deal, which I assume will be five-plus. Two reasons: (1) We are not at the point where a long-term deal with an ace puts us over the top; (2) Flaherty's not that guy, anyway.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Flaherty is not coming back because we are not going to throw the years he will require to sign a deal, which I assume will be five-plus. Two reasons: (1) We are not at the point where a long-term deal with an ace puts us over the top; (2) Flaherty's not that guy, anyway.

Don't forget about the back problems. Big red flag.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Don't forget about the back problems. Big red flag.

jack has made 25 starts in 5 of 7 full seasons, and both years since the injury - he's actually reasonably healthy for a modern pitcher. But not to worry - Chas is right - we won't see him back.

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If the Tigers do pursue an expensive free agent, I think it would be Bregman.  He fills a need, is a Harris type of player and has a history with Hinch.  

I want Soto.  And, no, I’m not trying to be funny.  Can the Yankees really pay him what it will take, along with all of their other massive contracts?  This is the one time we should open up our wallet and pay him whatever it will take.  He’s still very young, athletic and a generational talent.

Figure it out, Scott.

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it would be Bregman

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I want Soto.

Bregman will be 31 next season. I don't want to go more than 2yrs - 3 max for guy at 31 and that almost certainly won't land him. 

Soto is a pipe dream, but coming up on his age 26 season he's only one year older than when they took on Cabrera and Cabrera's 1st contract value was fine. You might get 8+ good years from Soto. By the end of a deal that long it won't seem so bad even if he's fallen off.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Bregman will be 31 next season. I don't want to go more than 2yrs - 3 max for guy at 31 and that almost certainly won't land him. 

Soto is a pipe dream, but coming up on his age 26 season he's only one year older than when they took on Cabrera and Cabrera's 1st contract value was fine. You might get 8+ good years from Soto. By the end of a deal that long it won't seem so bad even if he's fallen off.

I wasn't saying who I wanted, just that I thought he might be somebody they would pursue.  I would assume Bergman would get a similar deal to Chapman (6 years).  I wouldn't mind Bregman, but not knowing their payroll limits, I can't really say whether he'd be a good idea.  

Soto just seems so unlikely, that he is not worth hoping for.  

Edited by Tiger337

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Soto just seems so unlikely, that he is not worth hoping for.  

I suppose, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me to go big with a young player than go half way with an older one. I just think you are more likely to get burned in the latter case. To many guys don't really hit at all after 31/32. You might get burned worse if the young guy comes down with some career ender, but you are so much more more likely to get a good number of good years I think the total value vs dollars risk is going to be lower overall. Seems counter intuitive to spend more to get less risk, but that's how I would go. Plus  given a steady 2.5% inflation, the last year on a 10yr deal for an unproductive player comes at a 28% discount,  that time discount at 6 yrs is only 16%.