2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

2 hours ago, Graterol said:

Assuming 13 position players:

OF: Greene, Meadows, Carp, Vierling locks

IF: Jung, Keith locks (I say Jung because Vierling can take over/platoon if he doesn’t develop).

Catcher: Dingler and Rogers locks

Need a full time 1B and SS. 

Bench: Ibanez fits this team perfect, given ability to play 2B and 3B and platoon with Carp. Not perfect player but good fit.

Need someone who can play shortstop. McKinstry is underrated (1.3 WAR) and Sweeney also fits best on bench. Both probably redundant on a playoff team. Worst  case is one is starting SS if no FA/trade.

Need another OF that can play some defense. Perez not a perfect player but solid roster fit. Would be great for him to (re)develop at 2B.

Malloy and Tork both negative WAR, brutal defense, and in the case of Tork decline BB rate, avg EV, and increasing K rate. Both only fit as a PH and platoon 1B/DH against lefties. Would need to drop someone like Perez, go short on OF, to roster someone like that.

Long way of me saying that neither Tork nor Malloy should be on the roster, unless we roll with Tork at 1B (god help us) or think we can drop someone like a Perez and roll with a RH bat that can’t field.

I think your position player locks make sense unless Jung/Dingler bombs out from here on.

Ibanez has been quite an asset as a RHH on the bench or starting vs LHP.  I honestly didn't think much at all of his acquisition, but its been quite a boon.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt if a team wants to overpay for that.  But that would be the only circumstance.

Malloy and Torkelson need to hit because there's nothing defensively.  I suspect using the DH as a partial rest day might need to be used by Greene more often than we want to admit to in order to keep him healthy.  And this might be part of my bias speaking here, but I think Harris/Hinch legitimately want players that can field and hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Why is Sweeney a bench player after about 50 AB’s in MLB?  

because he hasn't done enough with the bat *yet* to look like a regular. Sure he may, but the proper presumption for any garden variety MiLB player called to the majors is failure until they prove otherwise.

A recent example of a "too left-handed" team was the 2022 Dbacks.

They promoted LHH Corbin Carroll full time next season, but traded LHH Daulton Varsho for RHH Gabriel Moreno.

In 2022, they slashed .225/.281/.320 in 617 L/L match-ups.

In 2023, .215/.285/320 in 452 such plate appearances.

2024, .235/.308/.359 in 446 PA so far.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jake Burger is another trade target for me, 28yr with big power from the right side that can handle 1st and 3rd. Also still has a couple years of control left. 

Him or someone similar is ideal to hedge both third and first base provided they bat right. This allows us to keep Verling in right field. Our resurgence is tied directly to our outfield defense of Riley in left, Meadows in center and Verling in right. It’s the best outfield defense in the game. Just let it roll 24/7 162. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

because he hasn't done enough with the bat *yet* to look like a regular. Sure he may, but the proper presumption for any garden variety MiLB player called to the majors is failure until they prove otherwise.

This.

Plus the track record of prospects at the bottom of top 100 lists isn’t great, let alone someone that probably would have been in the 250-300 range at best (ranked somewhere around 15 in Detroits system). If he turns out to be a good bench bat, that has value. If he surprises and could be a starter, even better. But not someone you had a starting spot on a playoff team.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Colt Keith’s first 57 ABs in MLB:

.210 BA, 0 HR, 4 RBI

Trey Sweeney first 56 ABs:

.232 BA, 3 HR, 9 RBI

Glad we didn’t cut bait on Colt too soon.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Colt Keith’s first 57 ABs in MLB:

.210 BA, 0 HR, 4 RBI

Trey Sweeney first 56 ABs:

.232 BA, 3 HR, 9 RBI

Glad we didn’t cut bait on Colt too soon.

I've read scouting summaries from before Sweeney was drafted that said can't miss bat, won't stay at short. Goes to show you have to let things play out. He looks fine with the glove even if his throwing motion is sort of unconventional, but he never put up big offensive numbers in the upper minors. Not bad, but not exciting. If he's a decent glove I suppose you can live with a 675 OPS, so we'll see.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've read scouting summaries from before Sweeney was drafted that said can't miss bat, won't stay at short. Goes to show you have to let things play out. He looks fine with the glove even if his throwing motion is sort of unconventional, but he never put up big offensive numbers in the upper minors. Not bad, but not exciting. If he's a decent glove I suppose you can live with a 675 OPS, so we'll see.

Hard to say what he’ll be.  Has the pedigree (1st rounder) and seems to hit RH well.

The only point is that he looks good so far and it would be ridiculous to write him off.  I doubt he’s our long term solution, but can be a platoon stopgap option with Baez until McGonigle or Rainer is ready.

Edited by Tenacious D

7 minutes ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

I wondered yesterday if Heather had purchased any extra red, white, and blue decorative paint for the grass...just in case...

She told Hinch they might need some bunting but got an earful back "Heather, we don't bunt around here!"

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, casimir said:

So, anyone else curious how the Tigers' PR department and ticketing/ballpark operation folks are feeling about the possibility of a division series game or two?  Gotta think there's some hopeful prep work going on, eh?

Take the odds of making the playoffs and halve them. Don't forget the lower seed in the Wild Card round doesn't get any home games. Gonna have to get past the Astros first.

29 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Take the odds of making the playoffs and halve them. Don't forget the lower seed in the Wild Card round doesn't get any home games. Gonna have to get past the Astros first.

Sure, that’s why I mentioned a division series game or two rather than a wildcard series game.

28 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sure, that’s why I mentioned a division series game or two rather than a wildcard series game.

Yep. I saw that, but did kind of want to amplify in case people were making plans to catch a Wild Card game or two in Detroit.

Sweeny's ops is up to .756. 62 ab 4 HR and 2 SB. If he keeps that up to close out the year I doubt Harris goes fishing for a replacement, and I suspect he starts at ss to start next season. From the eye test he looks like he belongs, and stats are validating that at this point.

37 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

Sweeny's ops is up to .756. 62 ab 4 HR and 2 SB. If he keeps that up to close out the year I doubt Harris goes fishing for a replacement, and I suspect he starts at ss to start next season. From the eye test he looks like he belongs, and stats are validating that at this point.

I imagine he will get a full opportunity to outplay Javy in ST.

It’s always a mistake when I go on a Tigers-oriented Facebook page and read the blathering idiocy of ordinary fans. It makes me appreciate this place even though we are Morans. 

Two or three months ago, scores of ordinary fans on a Facebook Tigers page were venting their rage at Verlander claiming that he had left the team in free agency for more money and they could never forgive him. There were so many of them almost no one could be heard over their grunts that simulated reasoned discourse  Just now it was white hot rage at the Jack Flaherty trade that anyone with brain tissue knew was inevitable.

Even though we are fewer than we once were, I’m glad the few of us who remain are still together.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1