2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

I lived in Tucson, where the Tribe had spring training and went to seven or eight games a year for 13 years. There were absolutely no Indian fans in the city half a million people, not one. At least I never met one. I get the feeling that people in Lakeland actually like the Tigers. Cleveland sucked all of those 13 years. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

The problem I had with Mario Impemba was his inability to provide any actual baseball insights during the broadcast.

Everything Mario said about the actual game in progress was either a basic description of the pitch or play that just happened; a reciting of the batting or pitching line the player had achieved during the game to that point; or a snippet from the media notes about the team or the player in question. Practically everything else Mario said during the broadcast was either a live read promotion, a throw to the field or studio announcers, or a forced attempt at banter.

I didn't fault Mario for the live reads or throws or even the attempted banter, but the bare bones description-only nature of his game commentary was where he really lacked. Mario apparently neither talked to the players, as Jim Price or Rod Allen did, nor dug into the numbers, like Dan does, which leaves only a dry recitation of what he saw in front of him or read from his notes.

Mario was a perfectly competent announcer, technically, but I got no sense that he was at all engaged with the game going on in front of him.

Mario was like a robot out of broadcasting school. Like you said, he was technically competent, but he had no personality or flair. More like a national broadcaster than a home team broadcaster. He is not somebody to yearn for IMO.

I got to meet Bob Feller on the practice fields in Tucson. You could walk on the warning track and say hi to Andre Thornton. And I did meet out of town Cleveland fans and honestly, they were very nice people. And it was sweet to see young rookie Indian players having picnics under a palm tree with their parents. I have a lot of happy memories of spring training and the Indians. Sat next to Joe Garagiola at a game. The girls who hung out trying to meet the players were unbelievable. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

technically they are not tied.  We're still a game behind, but now all it takes is having a better record over the next 9 games.  

This is unreal

Technically they are tied but would lose the tiebreaker. 
What is the MLB policy on rainouts now? Let’s say the Tigers and Twins are tied going into final Sunday. Tigers win to go 1/2 game up. Twins game is delayed by rain for hours and forecast looks bad for next 24 hours. Are the Twins’ guaranteed the right for that game to be played?

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Technically they are tied but would lose the tiebreaker. 
What is the MLB policy on rainouts now? Let’s say the Tigers and Twins are tied going into final Sunday. Tigers win to go 1/2 game up. Twins game is delayed by rain for hours and forecast looks bad for next 24 hours. Are the Twins’ guaranteed the right for that game to be played?

If there are playoff implications the game is guaranteed.

• Like 1