2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

Ok…. Realistically speaking, I think it is plausible that we take 2 of 3 from the O’s and Rays, then finish up with the sweep of the MLB doormat Sox for a 7-2 finish. With the Twins facing the O’s, BoSox and  Marlins, I think 7-2 would get it done, although we may as well simply Win. Every. Game. just to be safe. 

Looking deeper, the Orioles *could* be in big trouble with series against us, the Yanks and Twins to close out the season. It’s going to be one heckuva 1.5 weeks.

Go Tigers!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JackMorrisStache said:

Ok…. Realistically speaking, I think it is plausible that we take 2 of 3 from the O’s and Rays, then finish up with the sweep of the MLB doormat Sox for a 7-2 finish. With the Twins facing the O’s, BoSox and  Marlins, I think 7-2 would get it done, although we may as well simply Win. Every. Game. just to be safe. 

Looking deeper, the Orioles *could* be in big trouble with series against us, the Yanks and Twins to close out the season. It’s going to be one heckuva 1.5 weeks.

Go Tigers!

I like that the Orioles have pretty much lost any chance of catching the Yankees for 1st place. That's the kind of thing that can take the wind out of a team's sails.

5 hours ago, oblong said:

The problem with chasing Baltimore is that they play Minnesota for the final 3 games.  So you need to build up a decent enough lead over MN, in just the next 6 games,  to soften the cushion to balance out their wins against Baltimore.  You'd need to not only win and have them lose but the right combination of those wins/losses... or else MN gets that spot and not us.  

You aren't wrong that the Minnesota/Baltimore series complicates matters, but it is true that any loss by Baltimore, Kansas City, Minnesota, or Seattle helps the Tigers.

Depending on how these three games against Baltimore go, I’d wonder if they’d run Skubal on short rest so he pitches vs the Rays and Sox.  Would have to see what the wildcard schedule would be if Skubal would get 4 days rest before the series would start.  

Despite the rotation schedule and opponents, I’d rather not run Mize out there more than once in the next 9 games.  If you can get 2 each from Skubal, Olson and Montero and then a piggyback start from Madden/Hurter and a start from Mize, that’d be ideal with how it’s been going lately.

Edited by monkeytargets39

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

It just amazes me that this team was 55–63 and now it’s 80–73. And the goal that we originally had in mind was 81 wins. 

I’ve been predicting 84 wins all year. I was gonna be happy with that. Now, maybe not so much.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been predicting 84 wins all year. I was gonna be happy with that. Now, maybe not so much.

85 might do it. More likely 86 though. 6 of 9 requires them to stay on the their current high for another 10 days. I think they can drop one game each series and still have a decent chance.

35 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Depending on how these three games against Baltimore go, I’d wonder if they’d run Skubal on short rest so he pitches vs the Rays and Sox.  Would have to see what the wildcard schedule would be if Skubal would get 4 days rest before the series would start.  

Despite the rotation schedule and opponents, I’d rather not run Mize out there more than once in the next 9 games.  If you can get 2 each from Skubal, Olson and Montero and then a piggyback start from Madden/Hurter and a start from Mize, that’d be ideal with how it’s been going lately.

We have an off day before and after the series with Baltimore. So we can bump Skubal to the first Rays game and he can pitch two more or normal rest.

5 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

I assume those odds are strictly based on the numbers and have nothing to do with team health, recent performance or upcoming schedules…. 

The Royals are not anywhere close to safe right now.

I think playoff odds are pretty much useless at this point in the season.  

15 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

We have an off day before and after the series with Baltimore. So we can bump Skubal to the first Rays game and he can pitch two more or normal rest.

Yeah they could do that….as long as he’s good to go for game 1 of the wildcard round.  Hopefully we don’t need him to pitch in that last Sox game