2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’ll be no fun.

They aren’t in a tie.  The Twins hold the tiebreaker.  Therefore, the Twins are ahead of the Tigers by tiebreaker.  If the season were to end, that’s the things would shake out.

There’s still 9 games at hand.  This race hasn’t been linear and may not be linear going forward.  Keep that in mind.  As long as at the end of the season the playoff invite goes to the Tigers, it won’t matter if they lose a game or two in Baltimore.

And when they do clinch, let’s all gather in @Jim Cowan‘s yard and party like rock stars.  I’ll bring some Moosehead.

But they don’t decide the playoffs after 153 games, so the tiebreaker isn’t active yet. The fact is they are tied. The tiebreaker is just another way of settling a tie after 162 games, as an alternative to playing a single head to head game 163 (which, as we know, is not necessarily going to lead to a better result).

Before the tiebreaker, you weren’t happy with the tie either.

If only the tigers had won one of those earlier games against the twins. They would be 2 games up and they would hold the tiebreaker. 

Anyway, we aren’t behind by one, or .5, or whatever. We are tied. If we win one more game than the twins, we will win the spot. Because we are currently tied. 

34 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It doesn’t happen all the time. It happens some of the time. For instance, some percentage of the time. Almost like a probability. 

If a team was in every way a static entity, then you would just look at the season win-loss record and who was left to play (and their records) and the probability you'd get would be the best available predictor. I assume FG and ESPN do something like that. But we know a team is not a static entity. The personnel is always in flux, and the players themselves go through arcs of injury and health, some of which never even become public. Some young players are in a real process of getting better over the course of a year, maybe an older one irreversibly starts to break down. So the art of handicapping in large part turns on how far back do you want to go to get the 'best' estimate of a team's likely winning rate over the next X games. The further back you go, the stronger the statistical 'power' in the estimate, but the more your assumption that you are looking at the 'same' team all across the sample may be breaking down. If you take the whole season, since their records are exactly equal the best estimate would be the Twins and Tigers will win the same number of games of the next 9 so Minny end up winning by the tie-breaker (ignoring the difference in the quality of the opposition just for the sake of outlining the argument). If you look from the ASB, the Tigers would be slightly favored. If you look at the last 30, the Tigers would be clearly favored.

Pay your money and take your choice!  (if you like to gamble that is.......)

🤷‍♀️

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If a team was in every way a static entity, then you would just look at the season win-loss record and who was left to play (and their records) and the probability you'd get would be the best available predictor. I assume FG and ESPN do something like that. But we know a team is not a static entity. The personnel is always in flux, and the players themselves go through arcs of injury and health, some of which never even become public. Some young players are in a real process of getting better over the course of a year, maybe an older one irreversibly starts to break down. So the art of handicapping in large part turns on how far back do you want to go to get the 'best' estimate of a team's likely winning rate over the next X games. The further back you go, the stronger the statistical 'power' in the estimate, but the more your assumption that you are looking at the 'same' team all across the sample may be breaking down. If you take the whole season, since their records are exactly equal the best estimate would be the Twins and Tigers will win the same number of games of the next 9 so Minny end up winning by the tie-breaker (ignoring the difference in the quality of the opposition just for the sake of outlining the argument). If you look from the ASB, the Tigers would be slightly favored. If you look at the last 30, the Tigers would be clearly favored.

Pay your money and take your choice!  (if you like to gamble that is.......)

🤷‍♀️

Agreed

Nah, just kidding. I didn’t actually parse all of that. 

I think what you are saying is that it’s hard to predict how each game will go, which no one disputes. 

Use whatever method you want to determine your own sense of what is likely to happen and to what degree. I prefer the baseball reference method that looks at the past 100 games and adds a regression factor. I don’t much like the FanGraphs method that is based on zips+steamer. The coin flip method is fairly clean and not bad, especially when it comes to this caliber of team. FG’s “season to date” stats is similar to the bref method I think. 

I am more interested in the fact that on a rest day my team backed into a tie for the wildcard that is not really a tie, than the lesser fact of Ohtani hitting three home runs with six hits and 10 RBIs and stealing his 50th base. I have different priorities.

IMG_5884.thumb.jpeg.228a81214fcba4d940b0c852a6d15ad6.jpeg

I’m pretty sure there is a way the Tigers can win a tiebreaker over Minnesota. If it’s a 3-way tie with Seattle. Tigers dominated the season series over Seattle. Tigers would win the head to head to head I believe. So if the Twins and Tigers both go 5-4 and Seattle goes 7-2, Tigers I think would get in. 

Edited by lordstanley

I do look at these probabilities before the season starts, so I can see which teams are likely to do well over the course of the long season.  Half way through the season, I will look at them to see who should buy or sell.  I just can't myself to care about them over a short period.  At this point, if your team is alive they are alive.  Probabilities are always in my head somewhere, but when I watch the game tomorrow I am not  going to care whether Fangraphs thinks the Tigers have a 40% probability or a 60% probability.  They were less than 10% just a few games ago.  

On the other hand, I think I get why it might be fun to watch them go from 10% to 100%.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

But they don’t decide the playoffs after 153 games, so the tiebreaker isn’t active yet. The fact is they are tied. The tiebreaker is just another way of settling a tie after 162 games, as an alternative to playing a single head to head game 163 (which, as we know, is not necessarily going to lead to a better result).

Before the tiebreaker, you weren’t happy with the tie either.

If only the tigers had won one of those earlier games against the twins. They would be 2 games up and they would hold the tiebreaker. 

Anyway, we aren’t behind by one, or .5, or whatever. We are tied. If we win one more game than the twins, we will win the spot. Because we are currently tied. 

Yes, tied at this point in the season. But looking at the remaining schedules, I really like the Tigers odds. It's good the Twins are in Boston while we're in Baltimore. Come back to Detroit to face Tampa and the WSox while the Twins are at home against the Marlins and Orioles. The Tigers are surging and the Twins are sinking. 

2 hours ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Yeah they could do that….as long as he’s good to go for game 1 of the wildcard round.  Hopefully we don’t need him to pitch in that last Sox game

Best choice is to have him available for the last game if it's a must win and if you're lucky you can save him for the wildcard round.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, tied at this point in the season. But looking at the remaining schedules, I really like the Tigers odds. It's good the Twins are in Boston while we're in Baltimore. Come back to Detroit to face Tampa and the WSox while the Twins are at home against the Marlins and Orioles. The Tigers are surging and the Twins are sinking. 

I'm not very confident the starting pitching holds up. The downside risks include Montero missing a decreasing number of bats, and Mize's unreliability. I was almost more optimistic about BP days than Casey's starts. OTOH, Olson could get back on track and lock down a couple games.