2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Oh god no, please, not expectations … 

That tweet thread brought out something I wanted to bring up in today’s game thread but it’s more fitting here. How perception of when a team wins and loses colors the view of many fans on how good that team is. A team that goes on a big run in May-July is seen as legit. That’s their bar.  A deviation from that is seen as choking. A team like the Tigers are surging and get questioned on whether they can sustain it.  It’s baseball. After 162 games you measure. A win in Sept is as legit as one in May. A 3-9 slump in September is not choking or collapsing. Maybe they just aren’t as good, the thing you’d say about a team that starts 16-12 but then goes 3-9.  Tigers deserve all the credit for this. It’s not KC or MN giving it away. No more than them winning the WC was given to them by the Tigers because  of their few weeks of bad baseball earlier this year.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oblong said:

That tweet thread brought out something I wanted to bring up in today’s game thread but it’s more fitting here. How perception of when a team wins and loses colors the view of many fans on how good that team is. A team that goes on a big run in May-July is seen as legit. That’s their bar.  A deviation from that is seen as choking. A team like the Tigers are surging and get questioned on whether they can sustain it.  It’s baseball. After 162 games you measure. A win in Sept is as legit as one in May. A 3-9 slump in September is not choking or collapsing. Maybe they just aren’t as good, the thing you’d say about a team that starts 16-12 but then goes 3-9.  Tigers deserve all the credit for this. It’s not KC or MN giving it away. No more than them winning the WC was given to them by the Tigers because  of their few weeks of bad baseball earlier this year.  

I also hope this puts to the rest the whole idea that we know anything definitely by Memorial Day. Sparky's 40 game mantra was always a bunch of baloney, but it gets repeated every year around that time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oblong said:

I wonder if any team as high up in the standings as KC was as of mid-August then had two 7-game losing streaks in a month like the Royals have. 

13 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Somebody ask Binetti how he likes his first Tiger season. He's missing out on a historic WSox season. 😁😁

Speaking of Jason Benetti, it looks like our guy said I’m not leaving and called off his regularly scheduled Saturday college football duty to stay with the Tigers this weekend.  

57 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Will the Tigers be the first team to ride TBA/bullpen games to a playoff spot? If so, that would be their legacy. But would it be enough to cause a change in how teams look at managing their pitching staff, or is that change already well in motion? 

I think the primary lesson team have to take from the Tigers is that if the back of the rotation is weak, and you can match an opposite hand reliever with one of your weak starters, the you clearly get an advantage in platoon splits. All you need to exploit the strategy is a deep bullpen, since you are burning one extra pitcher at the start of the game, but deep bullpens are pretty much a standard requirement today anyway.

If the league doesn't step in to stop the practice, I can't see why other teams won't follow. Then eventually teams will respond on the other side of the ball by increasing their valuation of switch hitters and/or hitters with lower platoon splits,

• Thanks 1

the other thing which has been interesting to watch is how the sudden seriousness of a possible playoff berth has resulted in the team to showing us what they really think of their pitchers. Holton, Brieske, Vest, have Hinch's confidence. We will still see Foley late but he's just one among other equals now. 

Rotation wise, not only has Montero has moved ahead of Mize on the starting depth chart, but "opener + Hurter/Hanifee" have as well, leaving Casey to play a swing role.

During my now 36 years of running a small business I have always said success comes to those who best manage change and that is so true with this years Tiger management team after the trade deadline. So no matter if MLB changes opener rules Harris and Hinch will adapt. Perhaps that’s the biggest difference from the prior management team. 

• Like 2

I mentioned this around Labor Day weekend.

3 in San Diego and 3 in Oakland.  Then back home for 3 vs Colorado.  They probably need to pull a 6-3.

Then it’s 3 vs Baltimore, 3 at Kansas City, and 3 at Baltimore.  That could be the season right there.  Baltimore is +4 over the last wildcard right now, +9 over Detroit.  While it seems unlikely that they’re competing with each other for one playoff spot in particular, who knows what that +9 is by then.  Plus they are only 1/2 game behind the Yankees, so they still have plenty to fight for right now.  All of that said, they probably have to emerge from this with a winning record, 5-4.

Then the Tigers finish out hosting Tampa and Chicago.  4-2 seems doable.

That above would get them to 85-77.  Could that be enough for a wildcard?

The 7-2 in the Orioles/Royals string of 9 games has been so huge in this run.  85-77 seemed best case back then, and now it would be a disappointment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Speaking of Jason Benetti, it looks like our guy said I’m not leaving and called off his regularly scheduled Saturday college football duty to stay with the Tigers this weekend.  

What a swell guy.

I’m still going to listen to Dan Dickerson.

Edited by chasfh

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

During my now 36 years of running a small business I have always said success comes to those who best manage change and that is so true with this years Tiger management team after the trade deadline. So no matter if MLB changes opener rules Harris and Hinch will adapt. Perhaps that’s the biggest difference from the prior management team. 

Is there a movement afoot for Baseball to ban openers? If so, then that one has gotten by me.

Overall, I like the younger analyst on TV to send the signal to the audience that this is not just an old fart game.  Kirk Gibson was MY Tiger growing up but i'm into my final few years in the workforce and have kids in college.   The next generation needs to be represented.  Craig Monroe probably won't resurface but, others can.   Carlos Pena has been a very interesting voice when i've tuned into him.   Seems like we have a lot to gain from more Alex Avila, Andy Dirks and others who may want to stay in the game rather than just count their paychecks.  I don't know how we ever get him in the booth but Justin Verlander after he retires would be interesting.   

• Thanks 1