2024 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Benetti has his moments that annoy me, but nobody is going to be perfect for everyone in that role.  I think he's an upgrade over Shepard.

Unfortunately for Shepard, its easy for a broadcaster to take on part of the persona of the team over the course of a season.  He broadcast some awful baseball.  Not his calling necessarily, but the action on the field.  I do feel some sympathy for him that he misses out on calling a playoff contention caliber season, and that it happens to be his first oine out of the booth.

Jason had the funniest line of the season when he said this;

Jason on Bally Sports..."Watching the Tigers is a bit like sitting in the passenger seat of a car and the driver is tailgating"

5 hours ago, casimir said:

Benetti has his moments that annoy me, but nobody is going to be perfect for everyone in that role.  I think he's an upgrade over Shepard.

Unfortunately for Shepard, its easy for a broadcaster to take on part of the persona of the team over the course of a season.  He broadcast some awful baseball.  Not his calling necessarily, but the action on the field.  I do feel some sympathy for him that he misses out on calling a playoff contention caliber season, and that it happens to be his first oine out of the booth.

Shep was just bad at baseball -- way too intensely serious for the pace of the game. I think he's a solid basketball PBP guy.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There is nothing wrong with Sizemore using Crochett versus the Tigers.  The Tigers job is to win regardless of who the pitcher is, so it doesn't matter.  He'll only go 4 innings though, so who cares?    

Yep.  And it's a good thing for his pitcher too.  Put him in a game that means something.   I remember in 2008 when the Tigers/Sox had a rainout late in the season that had to be made up on a Monday because the Sox were in a tiebreaker scenario with MN for the divison lead.  Leyland played his stars.

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yep.  And it's a good thing for his pitcher too.  Put him in a game that means something.   I remember in 2008 when the Tigers/Sox had a rainout late in the season that had to be made up on a Monday because the Sox were in a tiebreaker scenario with MN for the divison lead.  Leyland played his stars.

Didn't he start mercenary Sweaty Freddy Garcia?

Be honest: if someone told you at the beginning of the season that in the final series with the WS one team would be looking to clinch a playoff spot and one team would be trying to avoid their 121st loss, what would you have guessed?

20 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Be honest: if someone told you at the beginning of the season that in the final series with the WS one team would be looking to clinch a playoff spot and one team would be trying to avoid their 121st loss, what would you have guessed?

I definitely would not have thought the teams would have been flipped. I probably would have thought someone was on at least 10 mgs of THC.