4/12/24 6:40PM Twins @ Tigers

26 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Baez should just not swing at any outside pitch. It’s going to be a slider/sweeper and he has no shot at making contact. Go down looking is better than swinging at something he’d need a boat par to hit. 

Javy should just tell himself he's not going to swing the bat on any 2 strike pitch for a week. If they throw him a strike - a called K is no worse than a swinging one, and it may begin to give him enough credibility to start getting hittable pitches again.

• Like 1

I love this kind of baseball..............This is old skool.   No HR or SO here.           

I do believe it would do Parker Meadows good to spend a few weeks in Toledo working things out.   

I guess that means we'd call up Akil Baddoo.   He's not exactly setting things on fire at Toledo. 

Benetti talking to Petry about laying down with the 7-0 lead, to avoid the Twins bringing in a position player to pitch to save their bullpen for tomorrow, got me to wondering about the new position player pitching rule.

You can’t bring a position player in to pitch unless you’re down at least eight runs, right? Suppose you’re down eight and your position player pitcher shuts down the other team, then your team puts a run on the board to cut the deficit to seven. Do you have to bring in another pitcher from your bullpen for the next inning, since you’re no longer down eight? Or are you grandfathered in for the rest of the game and can use the position player pitching even down seven or less if you want?

5 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

This team was overdue to put up a crooked number game

Its really early, but I dont know if there's a team where preseason expectations versus early performance is more off base than the Minnesota Twins.

Injuries are a big part of the story, but if the Guardians, Tigers and Royals are better competition than expected, they are in a lot of trouble

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Benetti talking to Petry about laying down with the 7-0 lead, to avoid the Twins bringing in a position player to pitch to save their bullpen for tomorrow, got me to wondering about the new position player pitching rule.

You can’t bring a position player in to pitch unless you’re down at least eight runs, right? Suppose you’re down eight and your position player pitcher shuts down the other team, then your team puts a run on the board to cut the deficit to seven. Do you have to bring in another pitcher from your bullpen for the next inning, since you’re no longer down eight? Or are you grandfathered in for the rest of the game and can use the position player pitching even down seven or less if you want?

That's a good question. My guess is the rule applies to the situation when the pitcher enters, otherwise as you note it would get pretty nutty. Maybe we'll find out tonight.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The rule in 2023 is 4.03(c)4.

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/wqn5ah4c3qtivwx3jatm.pdf

(4) No player on the lineup card other than those designated
as Two-Way players or pitchers by the Club may appear
in a championship season or postseason game as a pitcher,
except that any player may appear as a pitcher (A) following
the 9th inning of an extra inning game, (B) in any game in
which his team is losing by equal to or more than 8 runs, or
(C) in any game in which his team is winning by equal to or
more than 10 runs in the 9th inning when the player enters
as a pitcher; provided, however, that any player added to the
Active List as a 27th Player prior to September 1 shall not
count toward the maximum of 13 pitchers.

There is no provision made for a change of score later in the game, so presumably if the lead margin narrowed, you'd have to go back to the bullpen for the next inning.

• Thanks 1