4/13/24 DH Twins @ Tigers Game 1 1:10 PM

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Lange has options, and it might be a good time to use them to bring up a fresh arm for the nightcap.

Add in the fact that he’s probably the bottom of the bullpen anyway.  It’s great he can throw the ball a gazillion miles an hour.  But the control isn’t there.

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It sounds like today was a good day to boycott extra innings!

Yes and Yes the runner sucks. Just play 3 normal innings and call it a tie if need be. Football and Hockey have them. Ties stink but it's the better alternative

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

absolutely terrible approach by Torkelson in the 11th with the game on the line all he needs is to poke the ball to right against a guy throwing him outside and he's till trying to pull everything. Terrible.

If he wasnt a 1OA pick, he may very well not even be in the MLB at this point, seriously, no hyperbole.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

absolutely terrible approach by Torkelson in the 11th with the game on the line all he needs is to poke the ball to right against a guy throwing him outside and he's till trying to pull everything. Terrible.

Tork's baseball instincts are very questionable. Platoon DH batting 7th is in his future.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Why didn't Foley close out the 8th with the game in hand ? Four out save and win in the bag. Foly was well rested.

I’m fine with Miller getting the ball then.  It didn’t work out.  It happens.  But I’d have been fine with Foley as well.  Honestly I’d have been fine with leaving Holton in.

To me, this game down to lack of offense.  Maeda held up his end, got them through 6 when they needed the innings.  Sure, Miller gave up a solo home run.  But the offense struggles again, 3 runs in 9 innings, strike outs galore against Ryan.

Lange and McKinstry are going to be blamed, maybe Miller, too.  For the sake of the pitching staff, it’s probably better to have lost in the 12th than go on further.  Lange is what he is now, and it’s not very good.  McKinstry booted it, and that sucks.  Can’t do that then.  It shouldn’t have gotten to the 12th.

Now they need Manning to go 6 and the offense needs to show up. And they probably do need to seriously consider sending Lange to Toledo to work on control.   He’s just not good right now.

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

wouldn't shock me if they actually did have someone from the Mud Hens sitting in Monroe ready to be called up for game 2.   

Fixed it for you.  The games move fast.  That reliever needs a head start.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is the Zach McKinstry game. Unfortunately.

Canha....2 men on, nobody out. 2-0 count from a pitcher who has yet to throw a strike. You GOTTA look for a pitch to drive. Or go to right field. He rolls over a grounder for an easy DP. Game over...

20 minutes ago, JoeMac said:

Don't blame him.  Lange put everyone to sleep with his pitching.  Sick of that guy.

It should never have gotten to that point. Fundamental baseball, get the runner in from 2nd base without even getting a hit. Canha is the goat of this game, this loss is on him. Our big FA signing too. 

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

Pretty obvious Vierling wasn’t up to it.  But how many ball players are up to bunting anymore?

Never should've been in that position. How Carpenter did not go first to third on a single to right is baffling.

Botch back to back double plays to give the Twins their second run. Not getting an out on the bunt, and then give up 3 runs on an error there. Add in Carpenter not going first to third on a single to right in the bottom of the 11th.

Just can't do that. This team is gonna be in a lot of close games, they need to be a team that wins because they execute the little things.

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But he'll hit 30 home runs. All in game when we're either up by 5 runs or down by 8. The least clutch player I can remember.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I’m fine with Miller getting the ball then.  It didn’t work out.  It happens.  But I’d have been fine with Foley as well.  Honestly I’d have been fine with leaving Holton in.

To me, this game down to lack of offense.  Maeda held up his end, got them through 6 when they needed the innings.  Sure, Miller gave up a solo home run.  But the offense struggles again, 3 runs in 9 innings, strike outs galore against Ryan.

Lange and McKinstry are going to be blamed, maybe Miller, too.  For the sake of the pitching staff, it’s probably better to have lost in the 12th than go on further.  Lange is what he is now, and it’s not very good.  McKinstry booted it, and that sucks.  Can’t do that then.  It shouldn’t have gotten to the 12th.

Now they need Manning to go 6 and the offense needs to show up. And they probably do need to seriously consider sending Lange to Toledo to work on control.   He’s just not good right now.

Ok just as a reminder this is a message board and calm sound analysis moments after a crushing loss is not accepted.