20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

2 hours ago, buddha said:

i love the idea of adding monk in free agency.  i loved it years ago when weaver was intent on collecting failed big men or using cap space on joe harris.

now monk will be expensive.  a good organization would have identified monk (or divencenzo) as potential contributors years ago.  a good organization would identify that type of under-the-radar player this year.

THIS organization trades assets for james wiseman.  which is why the only real acquisition that matters this year is the president of basketball operations.  weaver simply must be replaced.

Chauncey Billups was that kind of signing...an astute GM saw who and what he was about to become.

$25m for Monk is way too much unless it is only two years.  Three if the last year is a team option.

He would instantly be their second best creator behind Cade, and it probably wouldn't even be close.  It would allow them to always have a guy on the court capable of running the offense, assuming Monty doesn't sit both at the same time.  He is really good in the PnR.  

His 3PT shooting is slightly below average, but that is sort of misleading.  Guys like Monk and Cade that always have the ball will almost always shoot a lower % than the catch and shoot guys.  The defense is always paying attention to the ball. They don't get those easy wide open catch and shoot situations.  They don't get as many corner attempts.  So his shooting % isn't a huge concern.

His defense however is a major concern.  He is awful and pairing him with Cade would really be a problem.

He would definitely be an upgrade.  But 90% of the leagues rotation players would be an upgrade on this team.  Less money or a short contract and it would probably be OK.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

$25m for Monk is way too much unless it is only two years.  Three if the last year is a team option.

He would instantly be their second best creator behind Cade, and it probably wouldn't even be close.  It would allow them to always have a guy on the court capable of running the offense, assuming Monty doesn't sit both at the same time.  He is really good in the PnR.  

His 3PT shooting is slightly below average, but that is sort of misleading.  Guys like Monk and Cade that always have the ball will almost always shoot a lower % than the catch and shoot guys.  The defense is always paying attention to the ball. They don't get those easy wide open catch and shoot situations.  They don't get as many corner attempts.  So his shooting % isn't a huge concern.

His defense however is a major concern.  He is awful and pairing him with Cade would really be a problem.

He would definitely be an upgrade.  But 90% of the leagues rotation players would be an upgrade on this team.  Less money or a short contract and it would probably be OK.

Overpaying Monk feels a lot like a Ben Gordon move.

Which means Scott Perry is your guy for anyone who wants that to happen. Let's not forget that Hammond left the year before and then Perry became Joe's right hand man and VP of Basketball Ops. HIs first offseason in that role was the Gordon + Charlie V signing.

Edited by Betrayer

7 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Overpaying Monk feels a lot like a Ben Gordon move.

Which means Scott Perry is your guy for anyone who wants that to happen. Let's not forget that Hammond left the year before and then Perry became Joe's right hand man and VP of Basketball Ops. HIs first offseason in that role was the Gordon + Charlie V signing.

I think that's fair. Although a little different this time since this team desperately needs any talent they can get.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

OKC has lots of draft capital...Cade went to OK State.  Let's make a deal...

That brings up a point.  What if the new president of basketball operations decides its best for the organization to move Cunningham (as well as other moves) as part of a rehaul.

So with the delay in hiring a new POBO it seems likely Weaver and staff will be running the draft and free agency.  New guy will have final say obviously.  But the current group will be doing the scouting, breaking down the film, filing all the reports, etc.  

I imagine the new hire will start replacing/keeping people after the free agent period in July.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

So with the delay in hiring a new POBO it seems likely Weaver and staff will be running the draft and free agency.  New guy will have final say obviously.  But the current group will be doing the scouting, breaking down the film, filing all the reports, etc.  

I imagine the new hire will start replacing/keeping people after the free agent period in July.

Imagine knowing you were going to need to clean house since around January (or sooner) and doing nothing about it until after the season, when you then decide to start the process by trying to find a firm to go collect candidates for you. Then you release a presser that says you're going to "move fast" to hire a PoBo.

Now it's the end of May, the draft combine has already happened, coaches have already been hired, and this new guy is going to walk in cold on June 15th or whenever you finally make the hire. Oh, and it'll be his job to assess the current staff. fire everyone for you because you didn't have the balls, and then start finding replacements all while managing a draft he just walked into, learning a new organization, and navigating free agency. Way to set the new guy up to fail from day 1.

This organization is a joke and will be until they get a competent owner.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It has to be Connelly right?  What will really suck is them waiting and then not landing him.

he'll get a really nice raise out of our interest.

unless they've been "told" that he wants the move.  but that's dangerous because you could get hit with tampering charges.

42 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I think I want to bring KCP home. 

Good defender.  Shoots 40% from three so he is a good catch and shoot guy for Cade.  Veteran presence in the locker room. 

monk's 5 years younger.  i'd rather pay for his prime than kcp's decline.

but if you're going to prioritize defense, then kcp would be a better pick and will probably be cheaper.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I think I want to bring KCP home. 

Good defender.  Shoots 40% from three so he is a good catch and shoot guy for Cade.  Veteran presence in the locker room. 

I'd love to bring KCP back. Perfect guy for this organization. They need a vet who's won at the highest level, plays defense, and can shoot the three. As a bonus, I still have his jersey since he was the only player on the team I actually really liked during that era.

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

monk's 5 years younger.  i'd rather pay for his prime than kcp's decline.

but if you're going to prioritize defense, then kcp would be a better pick and will probably be cheaper.

If I'm hunting a second star I'd rather that person be a wing/forward than another guard. Most successful teams have their big 2 players at different positions so they can run 2-man action that creates mismatches. You can't do that with Cade and Monk, it would just be your turn then my turn like Cade and Ivey. I've been out on Monk from the start. Plus, KCP will be about half the cost and actually plays defense.

Side note, I wouldn't mind taking a long look at Gary Trent Jr, Bruce Brown, Isaac Okoro, Obi Toppin (RFA), Kelly Oubre, Caleb Martin, and Derrick Jones Jr in addition to everyone's favorites Claxton and Hartenstein. A lot of talk about this being a weak free agent class - and that's true in terms of stars - but there are some really solid role players out there that could help this team.

Langdon should approach Monty and try to reach a buyout number.  Tell him we can frame it as him wanting to be with his family to save face.  Then he walks away with $20m-$30m for doing nothing.  Fire him if he refuses.

Then he should get Kenny Atkinson on a private jet and go to work on him.  He did an excellent job with a very young Nets team before they tried the KD/Kyrie/Harden experiment.  Tell him to do what he can with the current roster.  Over the next 18 months promise to rebuild the roster with players that match his coaching style.  Set the goal of making the playoffs in years two (2026).  

It will cost Gores an ungodly amount of money for the next 5 years.  But the team has gone up in value over one and a half billion dollars since he purchased it. He can afford it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Langdon should approach Monty and try to reach a buyout number.  Tell him we can frame it as him wanting to be with his family to save face.  Then he walks away with $20m-$30m for doing nothing.  Fire him if he refuses.

Then he should get Kenny Atkinson on a private jet and go to work on him.  He did an excellent job with a very young Nets team before they tried the KD/Kyrie/Harden experiment.  Tell him to do what he can with the current roster.  Over the next 18 months promise to rebuild the roster with players that match his coaching style.  Set the goal of making the playoffs in years two (2026).  

It will cost Gores an ungodly amount of money for the next 5 years.  But the team has gone up in value over one and a half billion dollars since he purchased it. He can afford it.

1000% getting kenny atkinson.

kenny bailed on the nets when they got stupid ownership who wanted to bring in stars in impress people rather than play team basketball, would he really want to work for tom gores?  or trust him to not do something stupid to mess up the plan?

but if he was willing to do it, i would hire him in a second.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

100% the route I hope they go.

Problem is, why would Monty want a buyout? Just to save a little face? Everyone will know it's actually a firing anyway and he can get the same result with 30M more dollars in his pocket. I see no reason why he would do that. I have to hope that Langdon (and Gores) have the guts to just fire the clown.

I hope Duren fans are watching the Mavs-Wolves series.  You can not invest big money in a big man that can't play/defend on the perimeter.  

If you can't defend out there you better have a Jokic level offensive game.  

• Thanks 1